Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

Frank Gore was setting the tone early on, averaging 6.7 yards per carry and breaking 100 yards, first running back to do so against the Bears this season.

Albert Wilson went crazy, going for 155 yards on 6 catches with two touchdowns. Wilson tied the game twice with his catch runs, including a 75 yard catch off a short Borck Osweiler pass in which he eluded 7 defenders on this way to the endzone. The investment in Wilson is paying off early dividends as he has produced 5 touchdowns this season (4 recieving, 1 passing).

Jason Sanders, a 7th round pick, made the biggest kick of his short professional career. Sanders was 3 of 3 for the day, but was clutch in making a 47-yarder in overtime to win the game.

The offensive line, battered as it is, helped paved the way for 161 yards rushing and a 5.2 ypc average against one of the top defenses in the league. Brock Osweiler was not sacked at all on the day and usually had plenty of time to throw.

The Bad

The defense allowed 164 rushing yards on 31 carries and could not be counted on, especially late in the game, to stop the run.

Mitchell Trubisky threw for 316 yards and 3 TDs with 1 INT and there were some gaping holes in the secondary at times. Of particular concern is the play of Torry McTyer, who seems lost in coverage, gaves up big plays routinely and needs to be replaced immediately. I find it hard to believe that this guy is any better than Cordrea Tankersley.

The Ugly

Thrust into a starting role against one of the best defenses in the NFL, Brock Osweiler had his good and bad moments. He was able to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly for the most part, allowing his playmakers to make plays after the catch, but did seem to struggle when he went downfield. His first interception came on an underthrown deep ball to Devante Parker (who was otherwise invisible in this game) and his second interception came on a telegraphed throw on an out pattern than the defensive back almost took back for a touchdown. Both interceptions were by Kyle Fuller. Overall, Osweiler looked competent and led the offense in some big moments.

Overall

Huge win for the Dolphins. Maybe pivotal? Time will tell. But it was nice to get off the schnide, at least for a week. It was nice to see explosive plays on offense again. It was nice to see Frank Gore tearing it up. But every week there appears to be a new hole on this roster. This week, the play of the defense was very concerning. Can they get it patched up?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think you can add Nick O'Leary to the good he had a pretty good game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

When your OL can block the whole offense opens up. Major kudos to Ja'Wuan James and Laremy Tunsil for neutralizing the Bears' pass rush.

I'll add two concerns: Kenyan Drake and Devante Parker. These guys are supposed to be featured in the offense and yet one is more of a complimentary player and the other invisible. I'm okay with Drake being more of a 3rd down/pass catching back, I was just hoping for more. I wonder if Parker becomes expendable by the trade deadline. He got all of 3 snaps yesterday.

As usual, great write up Rich.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Good write up Rich, thanks. In other things of note the Phins D forcing two turnovers in the Red Zone or better end zone was notable as was the Phins fumble at the end zone.

Phins former kicker missing the 50 yarder and qb bounce pass for 35 yard gain were notable plays too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Glad to see the line play so we'll after struggling all year...Even with all the injuries they seemed to all of a sudden start playing well against a very good defense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:49 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Nice to see the 3rd down conversion improve so much..A couple dropped passes or it would have been alot better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

It was the qb blocking for the O-line on runs that was the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinsforever wrote:
I think you can add Nick O'Leary to the good he had a pretty good game.

Getting players like him is great for the offense..Get everyone in the game helps the focus of the team..Give Gase credit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

At least the qb started blocking then! The old one didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I know this guy is the bomb he makes the oline run block better he is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Before this game Phins were converting at around 53% of third downs at 7 yards and under. Less than 20% at the others.

I wonder what the length of attempts at third down were in this game?

I hope Gase noticed that running Gore more helps the team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Doesn't matter who starts at QB going forward, this offense needs to keep running the ball. Not sure if Gore will hold up though.

Really hope Drake can earn more carries.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Glad to see the running game get better after the last 3 nightmare games...Line did a good job...And a couple of those audibles..Wow!

Gore looks like he is 25 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Wow, no odds in yet for next Sunday's game against Detroit. Just currently a pick em with no over/under. The only game that doesn't have anything listed.

I would think Matt Patricia has a good read on the Fins' offense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
Before this game Phins were converting at around 53% of third downs at 7 yards and under. Less than 20% at the others.

It seems like we were running a lot on early downs and being productive.

What a huge difference that makes for an offense when you're not constantly in 3rd and 10 or longer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

What a huge difference that makes for an offense when you're not constantly in 3rd and 10 or longer.

I agree. Not having frequent pre-snap penalties helps too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done, Rich!

Rich wrote:
Jason Sanders, a 7th round pick, made the biggest kick of his short professional career. Sanders was 3 of 3 for the day, but was clutch in making a 47-yarder in overtime to win the game.

We all loved Cody Parkey and hated that we let him go to the Bears, but man, who would have thought that they would be right to let him go and go with rookie Jason Sanders. Don't let Rizzi go as he is magic in his talent evaluation and coaching abilities.

Add this crazy stat to the Good, too. Whenever you hear a good offensive performance with Dan the Man's name mentioned, you played outstanding. We may be doing it unconventionally with short passes, but I'll take the win.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins’ 541 net yards on Sunday were the fifth-most in team history - behind four games quarterbacked by Dan Marino - and most since 1988.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:39 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I agree. Not having frequent pre-snap penalties helps too.

They had 7 penalties...And converted A couple 3rd and 10..... Mostly 3rd and 5 or longer.

All of a sudden they were getting it done as opposed to the previous games.. The Bears were even more efficient on 3rd down for the game... That's how bad it's been all year. We think this was a great offensive day.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]