All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This was the year that we felt we could evaluate Tannehill on whether he was a franchise QB. He flopped in two big games after starting out looking pretty good in the first 3 games. On top of that, he injured his shoulder and will miss at least two games. Personally, I think the plan was to keep him for one more year (when we redid some of his money to make cap room this year), and then decide.

Barry Jackson wrote:
▪ If Tannehill is on the team next season under terms of his current contract, he would be paid an $18.7 million base salary in 2019, with a $26.6 million cap hit.

▪ If the Dolphins cut him after this season without a post June 1 designation, the Dolphins would have $13.4 million in dead money on its 2019 cap as a result of Tannehill’s contract but would have a cap savings of $13.2 million.

▪ But if Dolphins release Tannehill with a post June 1 designation, the Dolphins would have $7.9 million in dead money on its 2019 cap as a result of Tannehill’s contract but would have a cap savings of $18.75 million.

But the flip side of that scenario would be that Miami’s cap would carry another $5.6 million of Tannehill’s dead money in 2020.

But the Dolphins would not get that cap savings until after June 1 next year, long after the top free agents have signed contracts.

The Dolphins will decide after the season whether to retain Tannehill, who on Sunday will miss his 22nd game in the past three seasons

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:38 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't think we're going to see Tannehill again this year unless Osweiler looks like the player he was the previous few years. No way Miami is tying that much cap into him with throwing shoulder concerns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I don't think we're going to see Tannehill again this year unless Osweiler looks like the player he was the previous few years. No way Miami is tying that much cap into him with throwing shoulder concerns.

I thought he hurt his shoulder in the Raiders game, and he's been playing through it. His passes in the Patriots and Bengals games didn't have the same zip. That isn't to excuse his poor pass decisions in those games though.

On a personal note, I think we should move on from Tannehill. Now, you have to decide who you want to move on to. I think every head coach should be able to have the QB of his choosing. I'd love to see Derek Carr as a Dolphin in a trade. I think he has all the tools. He just needs someone like Gase to tweak his game.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Its being reported by Salguero that the Tannehill injury happened on the strip sack in Cincinnati. That isn't to say it began with the hit in the Raiders game, but that play is where it escalated.

I love the idea of trading for Carr but I worry it is just wishful thinking. He definitely has the tools to thrive in Gase's offense. Unfortunately Gase doesn't seem to go outside of QBs who know his system so it just seems unlikely. I don't think Osweiler is the long term answer by any means, but he's only 27 years old so maybe Gase can get the best out of him for a stretch? If he manages the offense efficiently, something that seemed unimaginable just two weeks ago, why not bring him back for low end starter money?

We'll know more after Sunday and next Thursday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Imo Gase is a stubborn guy who has a lot of self confidence. If Tannehill is healthy and his arm recovers i think he will be the Phin s starter.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]