Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

Can't really complain about Brock Osweiller's performance this week. He had a clean game, completing 70% of his passes and throwing for 2 TDs. He also spread the ball around, hitting 8 different receivers. He's the back up quarterback, so he should be getting more help from the defense, offensive line and coaching staff to be successful.

Kenyan Drake's 54 yard TD run was a thing of beautify.

Nice to see Danny Amendola get in on the action with 6 catches for 84 yards and 1 TD. Also nice to see Mike Gesicki get in on the action with 3 catches for 44 yards.

The Bad

Forget the YPC. It is misleading. The offensive line barely opened holes for the running backs and allowed 4 sacks on Osweiller.

The defense was as bad as it has been all season, allowing 248 yards rushing and 209 yards passing. The young linebackers stood out as often being out of position against tight ends in the passing game and our defensive ends did a poor job of setting the edge, which is kind of surprising since the Dolphins typically run a wide 9 scheme.

The Ugly

The injuries are piling up. Albert Wilson was looking like the best free agent acquisition the Dolphins have made in a long time, perhaps one of their best ever. Now he is looking like he will miss the rest of the season. You know how the story goes. We'll wait for him to return next year, he'll never look the same again and eventually we'll be talking about what a free agent bust he was. The offensive line is a mess again.

Overall

The Dolphins continue their up and down, inconsistent play. One week, the offense can't get anything going. The next week, the defense gets torched. And sometimes, you have the Patriots game. What we have yet to see is a complete game. And with the injuries mounting on offense and the holes being exposed on defense, we may not see one this season. All we can hope for is the intangibles such as heart and will to win to take over and get the Dolphins to the playoffs, as the season doesn't seem to get any easier from here on out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:41 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nicely done, Rich. Thanks for the blog.

Rich wrote:
The injuries are piling up. Albert Wilson was looking like the best free agent acquisition the Dolphins have made in a long time, perhaps one of their best ever. Now he is looking like he will miss the rest of the season. You know how the story goes. We'll wait for him to return next year, he'll never look the same again and eventually we'll be talking about what a free agent bust he was.

Ugh, that's such a depressing thing to think about. Hopefully that won't be the case, but dang.

Rich wrote:
The offensive line is a mess again.

This all started with Jimmy Johnson, and we have not had a good OL since. JJ thought he could make chicken salad out of chicken crap as he did at Dallas. Wannstedt did not invest in the OL at all which ultimately ended up making Ricky quit and choose to get stoned. And the pattern continued until last year. Injuries are killing us this year, and we are still suffering due to poor draft decisions on offensive linemen in the middle of the draft.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Didn't the Phins have three 1st round picks playing on the Oline not too long ago? I remember the Phins having problems with getting serviceable guards which imo should not be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Oh, but doesn't the QB make the OL better?

We could not get the run game going because the OL couldn't keep our backs from getting hit in the backfield. We know they're capable, if they can play the way they did against the Bears, they can do that to any opponent on our schedule. But they can't, or they won't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Matt Ryan is having a great statistical season in Atlanta. Their defense is about the worst in the league and the ground game is bottom 3rd in the league. They are 2-4.

Even top 10 QBs need some help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Didn't the Phins have three 1st round picks playing on the Oline not too long ago? I remember the Phins having problems with getting serviceable guards which imo should not be the case.

You know, you are correct, Mark. In my frustration, I forgot that we did invest in first round picks along the OL very recently. It's the guards we think we can grab later in the draft because teams like the Patriots have had success at that. For some reason we have done a poor job of evaluating guards in the draft and in free agency (aside from Sitton as he had success at the NFL level). Thanks for pointing that out to me and my old brain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great job as always Rich. Losing WIlson stings bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
The Bad .... The defense was as bad as it has been all season, allowing 248 yards rushing and 209 yards passing. The young linebackers stood out as often being out of position against tight ends in the passing game and our defensive ends did a poor job of setting the edge, which is kind of surprising since the Dolphins typically run a wide 9 scheme.

DC Burke's is still having a meltdown over their performance, and he is pointing fingers at himself, as he should be. A knock on our defensive line is that they are quick but small. They were pushed around all day. On that big run to start the day, I think everyone saw that Quinn didn't seal the outside as he was manhandled by the OT.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Defensive coordinator Matt Burke, whose unit allowed 32 points and 457 yards against Detroit, called the defense’s performance “a collectively crappy effort. It obviously comes from coaching staff down. We obviously didn’t prepare them well enough. We had breakdowns across the board at every level - missed alignments, missed assignments, missed tackles. We’re not going to point fingers at a single group.”

Will there be playing time changes as result?

“We we are going to put the best players to win this game,” Burke said. “...We have to do a better job of being prepared. I’m at a little bit of a loss for words for how things went. We have to do a better job preparing them to be ready to play from the first whistle.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 57280.html

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]