Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Cameron Wolfe wrote:
Miami hasn't scored an offensive touchdown since the third quarter of their Oct. 25 loss at Houston.

"I'm the only guy on the team that touches the ball every play on offense and I need to find ways to get better and score touchdowns," Osweiler said. "This whole organization deserves better."
The Dolphins are 2-3 with Brock Osweiler at quarterback. They were 3-2 with Ryan Tannehill, who could be back after the bye week.

But this isn't just an Osweiler issue. Dating to last season, Miami hasn't scored a first-drive offensive touchdown in 20 games. They haven't scored a first-drive offensive point in 13 games. They are the only team in the NFL that has not scored any points on their opening drives this season.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase will need to be honest with himself on why that has been the case under his watch.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins ... rmountable

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I never understood why we signed Osweiler in the 1st place. I’ll admit they got him for cheaper than I expected...but still. We definitely don’t need him now. Just put Fales in until T Hill returns. This team has nothing to lose. I know the coaches no doubt can’t afford to think that way, but Osweiler was never an option to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Does anyone else see the frustration that the Number one winning NFL team gets to be in the same division as the least dangerous offense? Could the NFL allow a more boring and unimpressive situation? The NFL has a duty to keep it interesting and competitive so they should punish team owners and managers that allow such terrible performance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I watched every Tannehill snap from both the Pittsburgh and Arizona games in 2016 (probably the most impressive games for the offense and against quality opponents) and re-watched his snaps from the Oakland and Cincinnati games this year.

The obvious is the deep ball. Tannehill can throw it reasonably well and his timing with Parker and Stills is good. Osweiler stinks with everyone outside of his beautiful TD pass to Amendola versus Detroit. But we all knew this already.

The two biggest things I noticed were the reduced amount of screen passes in 2016, and even in both years how effectively the passing game attacks the middle of the field when Tannehill is QB. With Osweiler under center he seems to go to the sidelines more and waits forever for things to develop. Tannehill, especially in 2016, was doing a pretty good job of scanning his reads and pulling trigger. If it wasn't there in 2 seconds he was dumping off to the running backs for pretty good gains. Even this year he was pulling trigger faster (just doesn't seem like it when you watch live).

Tannehill's arm strength is what saves a lot of these plays, especially when he was drilling throws over the middle.

Now I have to do the obligatory clarification so I'm not labeled an excuse maker or apologist. This doesn't mean Tannehill is very good nor is Gase an offensive genius. But, you can really see how Gase has had to dial things back big time with Osweiler at QB.

Also, we kicked him a lot when he left but Landry chugged out a lot of extra yardage that this current crop cannot. The offense would do well to get a bigger version of him who can attack the middle of the field, not get pushed around and fight for those extra 5 yards.

We're also seeing what happens when you don't have big targets with strength. Yeah, the little speedsters can create havoc when they have 50 yards in front of them, but when it gets tight in the Red Zone everyone disappears. Where are Parker and Gesicki? Going back to 2016, I don't think we appreciated Dion Sims enough and what he did as a pass catcher in the Red Zone.

If Gase comes off the bye without making some major snap count changes this offense may only be good enough for 1 win down the stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rick wrote:
Does anyone else see the frustration that the Number one winning NFL team gets to be in the same division as the least dangerous offense? Could the NFL allow a more boring and unimpressive situation? The NFL has a duty to keep it interesting and competitive so they should punish team owners and managers that allow such terrible performance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Brock is nothing special, but no one can be with our horrible offensive line and the stupid coach dialing up the same crap offense that has proven to only work against the NFL’s bottom feeders.

They have had years to fix the line and get some quality depth. They have proven they can’t do it. Fire the morons and move on.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]