Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why Gase Got Fired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Quote:
After the 2016 season when the Dolphins needed a serious upgrade to their defense, Gase decided he could make the offense operate on the cheap while the defense added players. So the coach practically ignored the need for guards.

And Ross challenged him about that.

And Gase yelled at the owner about knowing more about football than he did. Multiple sources say a high-ranking club official had to intervene and tell Gase he could not speak to the owner -- his boss -- that way.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 50050.html

Post subject: Re: Why Gase Got Fired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:54 am 

Quote:
And what was the final straw that sealed Gase’s fate?

For several weeks, people within the Dolphins organization had been telling Ross the current football philosophy was simply wrong.

The idea that the Dolphins were just a handful of players away from being a playoff team appealed to Ross early in his ownership tenure because he took full ownership the season after the team won the AFC East in 2008.

But Ross seemed to forget 2008 was a decade and five head coaches ago. And he was still setting a postseason appearance as the annual team goal while apparently never thinking about how to win a Super Bowl.

So, let’s be clear, Ross himself instituted the philosophy the team operated under since 2009 and empowered people such as Tannenbaum who agreed with the approach.

But after the franchise’s failure upon failure upon failure, and an obvious inability to leap off the mediocrity treadmill, the message to change course finally hit home. with the owner The people advising Ross to correct course prevailed.

The owner decided to set a new arc for the Dolphins’ upcoming fortunes.

That arc, however, did not match Adam Gase’s career arc.

Both he and Ross understood and agreed that if Gase remained, he’d continue to try to win. Now.

That’s how it is for a fourth-year coach. You must win or you’re fired because fans aren’t going to be patient.

Gase had already planned to fire defensive coordinator Matt Burke and had a plan for replacing him. He also had decided that he would move on from quarterback Ryan Tannehill and sign a bridge quarterback and probably draft a rookie for the future -- assuming he could identify the right draft pick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:21 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't trust Gase as a talent evaluator and at times imo his play calling seems suspect and it would surely be nice it he could coach talented players instead of jettisoning them if they did not fit with himself, however between him and Ross being the biggest negative for the team I have to go with Ross.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:34 am 

AQNOR wrote:
however between him and Ross being the biggest negative for the team I have to go with Ross.

Unless you have over $1 billion laying around, it's kind of a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
however between him and Ross being the biggest negative for the team I have to go with Ross.

Unless you have over $1 billion laying around, it's kind of a moot point.

True dat but if true it may help a person to set realistic expectations (as if a fan like me would ever do that) going forward while he is still at the helm.

I'll call it the "Curse of the inheritance tax law." Which is a major factor, as I understand it, that the Robbie family had to sell the team.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
I'll call it the "Curse of the inheritance tax law." Which is a major factor, as I understand it, that the Robbie family had to sell the team.

LOL and also why Huizenga sold the team.

Remember what a villain Huizenga was for staying completely out of football decisions and hiring Jimmy Johnson?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

you mean the death tax.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ski_Money wrote:
you mean the death tax.

Well that or the "I am just going to flat out steal your money because I can" scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:36 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

This was the most interesting thing from that article:

He considered his time as the offensive coordinator in Denver, a time in which Peyton Manning broke the season touchdown pass record, and decided guards were really a luxury the Dolphins didn’t need. Because Manning could get rid of the football so fast, guards basically had nothing to do on many plays anyway and Gase thought things could work the same in Miami.

This is how stupid Gase was. This is why our OL has sucked? This is why Tannehill was getting injured and missing games after Gase arrived? Because Gase didn't think there would be any difference in the way Peyton Manning played QB to that of Ryan Tannehill? Are you kidding me??? Even Ross knew it was wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Relive1972 wrote:
Even Ross knew it was wrong.

Wow, you don't pull any punches do you. Saying this imo borders on cruel and unsual punishment.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]