View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Moves Miami Should Make 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Moves Miami Should Make
Phin wrote:
I can't see getting much for Ronnie too be honest. Runningbacks seem to be a dime a dozen these days. As a matter of fact, the last significant trade I remember being made for a RB was the Portis for Bailey trade. Add to that the string of injuries he has had, and the broken foot he is still recovering from. I just don't see us getting a fair value for him. This will likely be the last year we see him in a Phins uni.

That is the response I expected and I share the same concern. Hypothetically it sounds good, reality may be different.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like Quentin Moses.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Cuts/Non-resigns:

Joey Porter - the ride was interesting, the continued drama is not.

We're not even sure that there is any "continued drama." There is no record whatsoever that he said what some say he said, and in the modern era, no record = he didn't say it. Ireland denies that there is any drama at all.

Quote:
Gibril Wilson - no explanation needed.

Indeed

Quote:
Chad Pennington - no need for distraction, time for Henne to be the leader.

Not sure that had any plans to resign him anyways. He has served his function, and if he wants to play, he'll have to do it elsewhere.

Quote:
Reggie Torbor - too much money for a backup.

I'm not sure I agree. We have both a lack of talent and depth at ILB. Getting rid of guys without clear cut guys to replace them is definitely the wrong way.

Quote:
Quentin Moses - thanks for the effort.

We'll agree to disagree here. He hasn't had much playing time, but in the little he has had, he made an impact.

Quote:
Joey Haynos - they can do better.

I think you have it wrong. If this were Madden, I would completely agree. But this is real life where we can't simply get rid of guys without clear cut replacements. If we don't find a replacement for him, he stays. He has okay hands and is a big target. You can't coach 6'7" 270 with some speed and hands.

Quote:
Trades:

Ted Ginn - needs a change of scenery, constant whipping boy for everyone. Probably could net a 4th or 5th rounder for him.

We get nothing for Ginn. We should keep him as a speed factor. I do feel that with a real #1, he can get better. He hasn't been that good for us, but junking him for nothing (which is what he's worth) isn't the answer. The answer is to allow his contract to run out and send him off.

Quote:
*Ronnie Brown - this I will explain. He is perhaps the most talented guy on the team and strikes fear into other teams. He is close to 30 yrs old and is plagued by injury. A team out there may offer a late 1st or early 2nd rounder for him given the lack of UFA's this year (think New England with Corey Dillon). This is the time to get max value for him and find his successor to join Ricky Williams and Lex Hilliard. I hate to address it but I know a lot of us have thought about it.

There is no way we get offered a 2nd rounder for a guy with an injury history. It's plain and simple.

He's also the best offensive threat we have (when he's healthy). Getting rid of him would be plain stupid. We keep hik until he can be of no further use.

Quote:
Re-signs:

Anthony Fasano - another year won't hurt.

It all depends on the money.

Quote:
Jason Ferguson - Soliai won't cut it as a starter, options may be limited.

I'm torn here. He's old. But he's the only guy we have right now. That said, we need to make a concerted effort to find a NT by any means necessary right now. Get multiple guys. This is the biggest need we have.

Quote:
Davone Bess - should be a shoe in.

Only non-QB on the roster who is "untouchable" IMO.

Quote:
Jason Taylor - leadership alone is worth it.

At what cost? His $1 million from this season? Maybe. His usual salary? No Way. In fact, I feel it's time we cut our ties and finally move on. He's 35, and leadership can be found in other places than an aging player whose best days are long behind him.

Quote:
Position Conversion:

Pat White - make him the utility man and use his speed in several areas.
Philip Merling - the idea has been presented to make him a SOLB, I say Matt Roth who?

Crazy talk. Both of these ideas are absolutely terrible. White may have been a mistake, but he has no value elsewhere. Did you not see the Pitt game where he was practically destroyed?

Merling is in no way, shape or form an OLB. He is a 3-4 DE through and through. He doesn't yet start because he's playing behind Starks (who had a PB season this year), but his presence in the rotation is invaluable.

Quote:
FA Targets:

Vince Wilfork - if this guy is available he is the high priced FA we need.

Every team in the league is saying the same thing. 1 in 1000 chance we land him, even if we try hard.

Quote:
RFA's - don't bother, not enough draft picks to make it happen.

True enough.

Trade Targets:

None - unless teams are willing to move player for player you can't give up picks in a draft considered so deep.

Summary:

I think it is going to be an dull offseason, minus the draft. All of the moves I mentioned are probably expected. Trading Ronnie Brown is a little out of the box but netting more draft picks would be huge. The argument could be made that getting a veteran WR with one of those picks is a viable option. I think it is very important to try and get White and Merling into games to utilize their talent.[/quote]

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

eleaf wrote:
Quote:
Chad Pennington - no need for distraction, time for Henne to be the leader.

Not sure that had any plans to resign him anyways. He has served his function, and if he wants to play, he'll have to do it elsewhere.

Geez...E:leaf...you need to stop sugar coating everything...sometimes, you know, you just need to be blunt.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Eleaf, its been posted several times about using White in a utility role. He took a helmet to helmet, it happens. Should every player who suffers a concussion avoid contact from now on? Would you like him to not run the ball anymore? As for Merling, Matt Roth did it so its very possible. Go read the draft blog. Thats why I brought it up and like the idea. Him in a rotation is fine but not maximizing his potential.

Porter comment had nothing to do with recent news, his 3 years as a Fin has plenty else to point to in the drama department. Better yet, I'll use his play as reason for looking elsewhere.

As for the rest, there will be other options out there. If they aren't as good then you keep guys like Moses, Haynos and Torbor. I'm expecting them to address those positions with other players and these are the guys you move to make room if necessary.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

eleaf; I'm with you on about everything except for Merling and White.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Porter is as good as gone. You cant pay a guy that kind of money when he turns in very average results. His tenure here this past year was yawn inspiring and he is a BIG TIME liability against the run. I just don't see anyway he suits up for us this year; then again i've been wrong a time or two in my lifetime so we shall see.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Record without RB..1-4 The other problem when Brown was injured was Williams. RW isn't an every down back and returned to fumble-itis when he was returned to that roll. He's a solid change of pace back and is a good outside option. The between the tackles runner is still RB until the job is taken by someone else.

Jettison Haynos and keep Fasano? That is a head scratcher.

It might be good to have JPeezy around in Mike Nolan's style of defense. Let's not be too quick to judge Porter on one season. We're just one season removed from coronating him as a pass-rushing god.

Personally, I think the Jets showed that Miami really isn't that far away from a deep run in the playoffs. Some of these players like Ginn and Haynos have yet to reach their potential. Do we really want to watch another Wes Welker Scenario? Patience, a good draft and staying the course in FA unless a homerun presents itself is the best course of action.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
I envisioned Merling at a SOLB when we first drafted him. It makes sense. He would need to shed weight, though.

Interesting idea. But can he cut-the-mustard in coverage? Is Merling fast enough to cover a tight end or chase down a running back in the flat??

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 pm

What is up with the facsination of trades, and guys changing positions, and all this....man.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If the 'fins can get a 1st or early 2nd for Ronnie then I say trade him but the Raiders are the only team dumb enough to do that and they've got a guy they like.

I'm starting to really question the ides of Jason Taylors leadership. The best Miami team in JTs career was when he played for Washington.

We don't have a choice on Ferguson right now. He absolutely must be kept. Even if we landed Wilfork I would still want Ferguson.

Wilfork will almost certainly get franchised. It's only $7m to tag a NT. If he doesn't get tagged then we have an excellent chance to sign him as long as we open the checkbook wide.

What do we gain by cutting Gibril Wilson and Quinten Moses?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]