View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 How good or bad are we really?? 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post How good or bad are we really??
After having missed last night's game due to "NO" broadcast in my area .. I was very upset to learn that we made no serious strides at showing up for the game. I guess it really worries me, b/c our excuse was "The Weather" for the last 2 games .. Well guess what??? We played worse this game when we've should have shined.

I certainly don't want to "Chalk-Up" the whole season as a loss, but it is a little worriesome at the least. Getting rid of Cam was a bad idea.. He's the one in the long run that will end up the happier player.. Let's see what Cam does to us in the 2nd game of the season.

I'm not so sure that Henne is the man to be.. I wish I were wrong, and hope that He finally comes around.. I can Honsetly say the "Trifecta" has not sold me on their drafting skills.. We've wasted more picks in the last 3 years that literally got us nowhere.. :)

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:50 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: How good or bad are we really??
Its preseason, so it is hard to tell. Game 3 and 4 of the preseason usually should show a team is ready to play. I don't think the Dolphins are there yet. We often seem to start slow and this season looks to be no different. The team is very youthful and it shows. Perhaps later in the year, the team will gel? I am very surprised that Henne and Marshall aren't clicking well yet, but I guess it will just take time for them to work together effectively.

If we don't beat the Bills on opening day, then that will speak volumes to the direction this team is going. The Bills stink. I think week #2 is the Vikings and I don't think that one will be pretty.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I keep hearing that Henne and Marshall aren't clicking. I didn't see the game, nor any highlights but I do see that Marshall had two grabs from Henne that went for big first downs in the final 2 minutes of the half. That's encouraging to me.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:15 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I listened to the game live on Sirius during the first half and followed it on the computer the second half. There were numerous incompletions to Marshall....plays where he went one way and Henne threw the other.....plays where Henne overthrew or misjudged him....including a long ball that should have been a TD.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I guess the dose of perspective is the following"
1. preseason
2. Very good Atlanta Football Team
3. In their house

If I were looking at a silver lining in this, the defense held a pretty good offense to 10 points in 2.5 quarters of play. ST's still looked a little shaky but miles better than they were. Sapp, for all the negative, played surprisingly well for a guy just thrown into the mix. Vontae Davis is showing signs of becoming dominant. Alama-Francis may end up as the starter opposite of Misi. Speaking of Misi, the guy played very well. When Crowder went out last season, the run defense suffered. Miami now has a young guy coming up the depth chart that will fix that. Micah Johnson stepped onto the field with the first team and more than held his own. He finished the night with 4 solo tackles. His strength is he takes good angles and reads the play quickly. Personally, I think he's made the team.

Last edited by NFLJunkie on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I agree with NFLJUNKIE on all points... only bad things i saw were poor Oline play and the wr drops...i hope we play the starting 5 linemen 1 quarter in the last game... they need to work together...Henne had very good touch... i think we will be fine

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Did you guys not notice how much field position our special teams gave up to their return game all day? Did you not notice how much time Ryan et al had to throw the football? How about all the inexcusable penalties? We also didn't score a single TD. We have averaged less than 15 pts a game during preseason. That will not get it done. I wish the coaching staff could figure out how to get rid of the penalties and deal with the frustrating case of the dropsies that seem to plague everyone on the Dolphins that is expected to catch a football. It really sucks to tune in other games and watch the Patriots, Chargers, Saints, Colts...hell, even the RAMS, score touchdowns and at least double figures in points. We put up 6 points off two field goals in preseason game #3. Not what you would be expecting to see from an offense that added Brandon Marshall and a returning Ronnie Brown to its lineup. We will have to wait till 9/12 and the Bills' game to see whether or not the Dolphins are just blowing smoke....but I think that youth and inadequate coaching preparation are keeping the team from being a polished product at the moment. I don't understand why Dolphins' teams seem to get off to a slow start every year.....

I was thinking maybe 9-7 or 10-6 for the team this year....I think the schedule is very tough. Now, I am worried we might not win some of those early games we should (Bills, one of the two against the Jets or Patriots) and could be looking at 1-3 or 0-4 before the bye.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:17 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well I guess by not watching the game, and listening to it , you missed alot

Ryan had time cause we stayed in a base 3-4 and 4-3 all game and blitzed 1 player on one play the entire game!!!

I think field position was close to even as the coverage was tons better and Carroll did good...

Our problems on our primarily stem from the poor Oline play last night...we need to pick 5 starters and let them work together...don't forget with Jerry and Berger( who started what 7 games last year) we basically have 2 rookies in the line... it will take more then 1 half for the line to gel....

Feel free to worry about our record all you want...but I won't ..unless we start 1-4 or something I think it is way to early for Doom and gloom...

In perspective.. the Jets starting O looks twice as bad as us... and the Pats looked D looked terrible against the rams... off of the preseason the Bills look the best... are you ready to anoint them division Champs yet?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

1dolphinsfan wrote:
After having missed last night's game due to "NO" broadcast in my area .. I was very upset to learn that we made no serious strides at showing up for the game. I guess it really worries me, b/c our excuse was "The Weather" for the last 2 games .. Well guess what??? We played worse this game when we've should have shined.

I certainly don't want to "Chalk-Up" the whole season as a loss, but it is a little worriesome at the least. Getting rid of Cam was a bad idea.. He's the one in the long run that will end up the happier player.. Let's see what Cam does to us in the 2nd game of the season.

I'm not so sure that Henne is the man to be.. I wish I were wrong, and hope that He finally comes around.. I can Honsetly say the "Trifecta" has not sold me on their drafting skills.. We've wasted more picks in the last 3 years that literally got us nowhere.. :)

imo we are where we have been for last 2 years middle of a road team 7-9 -- 9-7

have we progressed regressed?

this year i feel the o line has gone backwards /special teams has gone back to 2008 and pass rush is a major problem

passing game should be better , linebackers play couldnt be any worse and 2ndary has gotten a bit better ie v davis play and the canning of wilson

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree....I don't think the team is showing any major signs of improvement so far. Youth might be the big reason....at least, that is what I am hoping. The special teams play and the penalties point to bigger problems though....we shall see. Week #1 will speak volumes....as will the major test in Minnesota.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think another perspective here that I'd like to add is that we have gotten off to a SLOW start the last several seasons with Sparano.

This has been hard to swallow, and it makes for a very stressful season.

My question is: Are we seeing our start-of-season slump take place early?

If so, is this not good news?

Our team has not showed us what they are capable of on Offense or Defense (especially defense).

Although this is very concerning, it's also encouraging because we will have some element of surprise.

However, with the lack of 'gel' that I see, it could also be an issue. I'd almost rather see them use all these secret plays and be able to gel than use a base offense/defense and not gel at all.

In hindsight, we have seen really amazing moments this preseason. Things that open up a LOT of possibilities for us. Namely, I'm noticing that inspite of what looks like a bad defense, we really haven't faired too poorly. Even the ATL game was 16-6 in the end.

We also saw bright hot moments last week with the offense. A sign that things may be a lot better off than we think they are.

We haven't been very consistent with the run, and I think that's what worries me most on offense.

Anyway, I could go on and on but I think it's too early to judge.

I think we may be seeing our early season slump NOW which is encouraging to me.

Let's learn now while it doesn't count and start strong.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:
and the wr drops...

Which is unfortunate, considering Miami just traded away a guy that never dropped a pass.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 am

Guys...its preseason. The Colts looked horrible against Greenbay...including the first team. Most guys are just trying to get through the preseason healthy. Crowder hasn't played a snap. The OL will be settled but getting the best guy on the field is critical as well. The NFL season is a marathon. I guarantee there will be one team every year quick out of the gate and miss the playoffs. Miami has had a habit of getting off to a slow start and finishing better as of late. :pumpiron:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:03 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Well opening vs. the Buffalo Bills is just what a team needs to avoid getting off to a slow start.
One concern that might be overlooked is that last season , this team needing just one win in its last 3 games which were all very winable failed to do so & missed the playoffs. I thought that alone would have these guys come into camp with more of a fire burning.
Still I dont pay much to pre season .... after all the Colts go lit up for 59 the other day.
I stated in another thread that the AFC is stacked with some of the better mediocre teams record wise. Steelers , Titans , Texans , Ravens just to name a few. Somebody has got to distance themselves & step up ... why not us?
And if we are 7-9 .... 8-8 .... or 9-7 does that cut it in year 3 ??

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:07 am

Before you chalk up the Bills as an easy win go take a look at how their first team O shreaded the Bengals Defense for 21 points in one half. Their defense still sux but the offense appears to have some pop to it.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:03 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Before you chalk up the Bills as an easy win go take a look at how their first team O shreaded the Bengals Defense for 21 points in one half. Their defense still sux but the offense appears to have some pop to it.

Double Evans, and stack the box with 8-9. There, taken care of. :yay:

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Double Evans, and stack the box with 8-9. There, taken care of. :yay:

No matter how bad a team is, a division rival is always a game to come extremely prepared for.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

...might have to be more concerned with CJ Spiller there.....the Bills are going to be much improved offensively this year.

The Bills are a team we should, and must, beat this year.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
...might have to be more concerned with CJ Spiller there.....the Bills are going to be much improved offensively this year.

The Bills are a team we should, and must, beat this year.

Spiller looks awesome man... darn I wish he fell to us!

Back on topic... it's preseason. Our coaches are just looking to find who can play and they're pretty much messing around by throwing pieces in here and there and hoping they stick.

When the final roster is set, and the games count, the real team will come... and it will be SICCCKKKKKK

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]