View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Stupid question..... 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Stupid question.....
Why don't the Dolphins allow Vontae to always cover the teams best WRs? Currently he's always on the left side. Many teams float their best CB over to where the other teams best WR is. Makes sense. Too often in Miami you see the teams best WR covered by the nickle just because that's where the WR lined up.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Stupid question.....
Good question indeed. Maybe it's just because it's preseason?

I can see why they did it last year, not wanting to put too much pressure on the rook, but this year they should definitely do it.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Most teams have a left corner and a right corner, they do not match up the DBs with specific players.

Conversely, many teams always line up their receivers on the same side. Reggie Wayne for example, always lines up left.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

What Rich said.

Playing the nickel, on the left or on the right takes different techniques and all that. There aren't many CB's who shadow the opposing #1 WR.

Nnamdi Asomugha for example is always on the right side. Darrelle Revis on the other hand was allowed to start shadowing the WR this past season.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 am

Phins Rock wrote:
What Rich said.

Playing the nickel, on the left or on the right takes different techniques and all that. There aren't many CB's who shadow the opposing #1 WR.

Nnamdi Asomugha for example is always on the right side. Darrelle Revis on the other hand was allowed to start shadowing the WR this past season.

Call me crazy, but if you are a CB, you should be able to play wherever a CB can play. Be it left, right, middle, on the moon, I don't care, you're getting paid millions of dollars to know your job... be able to play it wherever.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am

IamPZ wrote:
Call me crazy, but if you are a CB, you should be able to play wherever a CB can play. Be it left, right, middle, on the moon, I don't care, you're getting paid millions of dollars to know your job... be able to play it wherever.

Won't call you crazy because it makes some sense, but will call you lacking in an understanding of the game because playing on opposite sides of the field is different and takes getting used to. JUst ask a right tackle moving to the left side.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
What Rich said.

And the elite CB's usually do. Asomugha has been begging to be able to roam around and it looks like they will finally let him a little this season.

Between playing on the left or the right, yeah, I'm not sure what the difference is and why young guys don't play both, but I can understand not playing in the slot.

I would imagine that in their 3rd season Sean and Vontae will start to be able to play both sides and Vontae would shadow the opposing number 1...but that's if Vontae is really far ahead of Smith. If Sean takes the next step like it appears Vontae has, there will be no need for them to do that.

It will take a little longer before they can start playing in the nickel, and I doubt Sean ever does because, you know, he's like 8'10.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:22 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Won't call you crazy because it makes some sense, but will call you lacking in an understanding of the game because playing on opposite sides of the field is different and takes getting used to. JUst ask a right tackle moving to the left side.

I understand the game, but I also understand that these guys make more money in one contract than I probably will in my life. So to hear all these limitations gets a little frustrating.

I mean if my boss comes and asks me to do something that I may not be used to, I adapt and get it done... the same should be done in the sport. If you're the best guy at a position, you should be able to adapt.

Now I know it's only his 2nd year... and he's gotta get down one side of the field before he can start flip flopping... but I don't think it's too far out of an idea to start having him shadow receivers in his 3rd or 4th year.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 am

IamPZ wrote:
I understand the game, but I also understand that these guys make more money in one contract than I probably will in my life. So to hear all these limitations gets a little frustrating.

The amount of money they make has nothing to do with it.

And do you pretend to understand the game better than the overwhelming majority of coaches who keep players exclusively to one side or the other, whether it's WR, CB, LB, DE or OL?

Quote:
I mean if my boss comes and asks me to do something that I may not be used to, I adapt and get it done... the same should be done in the sport. If you're the best guy at a position, you should be able to adapt.

I doubt whatever your boss asks require as much muscle retraining and repitition as switching everything you're used to doing but to the reverse will require.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 am

Not only that, but how about if your boss asked you to do something you're not used to, and to do it in less time and do a better job than a professional who does that every single day.

Rich, I don't know if playing the left or the right is quite the same as LT and RT, or RDE and LDE. You're facing different types of players and looks from those sides. Need a completely different skill set. I would imagine that CB is pretty much the same other than different footwork and stuff.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am

Phins Rock wrote:
I would imagine that CB is pretty much the same other than different footwork and stuff.

If you play strictly man, then sure. But teams don't play strictly man. Imagine practicing a zone all summer long and then being asked to inverse it. Also, even playing man, you have to play an inversed technique (whether inside or outside) and that requires muscle repitition.

It's not as easy as you guys think. This isn't Madden.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 am

Rich,
I agree most teams do that. However, teams with a special talent at DB usually have that guy shadow the other teams best WR.
You know that left-right thing is funny. I just learned ... mainly because I never paid too much attention to it... that a lot of QB's can throw to their dominant side but have trouble with accuracy to the opposite side.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
I would imagine that CB is pretty much the same other than different footwork and stuff.

If you play strictly man, then sure. But teams don't play strictly man. Imagine practicing a zone all summer long and then being asked to inverse it. Also, even playing man, you have to play an inversed technique (whether inside or outside) and that requires muscle repitition.

It's not as easy as you guys think. This isn't Madden.

Right, but you were comparing to LT vs. RT and RDE vs. LDE.

I'm not saying it's easy, but I don't think it's as hard as those two above. You're still facing the same people, it's just different technique.

Jason Taylor could never be an effective LDE. Joey Porter would never have been an effective SOLB. Vontae will eventually be able to play both sides.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:48 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Vontae will eventually be able to play both sides.

As usual, you are getting way ahead of yourself with your prognostications. Very few CBs do this. Ty Law, Deion Sanders etc.

Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison always played the same side.

If Vontae is going to do this, it will be because he is special. He has certainly shown ability, but special is still a ways away.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

Rich wrote:
And do you pretend to understand the game better than the overwhelming majority of coaches who keep players exclusively to one side or the other, whether it's WR, CB, LB, DE or OL?

No, not at all. I'm simply stating a feeling that I have towards the topic... I don't know nearly as much as these coaches do, but it does seem a little odd to be limited to one side of a field.

Perhaps I don't understand it fully, but to say that what they're paid doesn't matter is a bit naive as well. Of course it matters, that's why they play.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Vontae will eventually be able to play both sides.

As usual, you are getting way ahead of yourself with your prognostications. Very few CBs do this. Ty Law, Deion Sanders etc.

Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison always played the same side.

If Vontae is going to do this, it will be because he is special. He has certainly shown ability, but special is still a ways away.

Madison and Surtain probably never played different sides because they didn't need to. Miami was probably comfortable lining each one up with whoever they were facing.

Like I said earlier, if Sean takes the next step then there will be no need for them to play both sides. But if Sean continues to regress and Vontae becomes the big time CB we think he'll become, I think he'll play a little bit of the left side.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am

IamPZ wrote:
but to say that what they're paid doesn't matter is a bit naive as well. Of course it matters, that's why they play.

No it doesn't matter and it shouldn't.

What matters is that they get paid to do the job they are asked to do.

It's not as if players refuse to do what they are asked, they aren't being asked to do it.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Madison and Surtain probably never played different sides because they didn't need to. Miami was probably comfortable lining each one up with whoever they were facing.

Madison and Surtain never played on the other side because teams stay away from asking corners to do that.

It's not like they played their entire careers together.

Look at almost ANY team and you will see that they have an assigned left corner and right corner and that they rarely, if ever, stray from that formula.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:29 am

Rich,
So aren't you a little frustrated at seeing the nickle back lined up against the other teams best WR? It isn't just this preseason. I'm not sure how many times Moss got lined up against a nickle cover guy. All NE had to do was move Moss into the slot WR position. I'm only bringing this up because the lone TD given up against the defense was because Roddy White got matched up in single coverage against the nickle in last weeks game. I was thinking that Miami will have to have a counter to this or bring help to the nickle in those situations.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
but to say that what they're paid doesn't matter is a bit naive as well. Of course it matters, that's why they play.

No it doesn't matter and it shouldn't.

What matters is that they get paid to do the job they are asked to do.

It's not as if players refuse to do what they are asked, they aren't being asked to do it.

Ok so maybe I'm putting too much blame on the players for doing something they're not asked to do.

Along with Junkie's comments, don't you think it's frustrating? Sure, the field gets flipped when they're playing the other side, but c'mon, these are some of the Nations best athletes, this shouldn't be that hard of a transformation.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Actually I just realized...Vontae HAS played both sides before...

From the right....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

From the left.....

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
these are some of the Nations best athletes, this shouldn't be that hard of a transformation.

Just because they are great athletes doesn't make them ambidexterous. There is a switch to be made changing sides. They specialize and practice that one side until they are the best at it they can be.

That's what football is about... specialization.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 am

degs wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
these are some of the Nations best athletes, this shouldn't be that hard of a transformation.

Just because they are great athletes doesn't make them ambidexterous. There is a switch to be made changing sides. They specialize and practice that one side until they are the best at it they can be.

Tell that to the old time players who played anywhere, anytime.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
degs wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Tell that to the old time players who played anywhere, anytime.

Most of them wouldn't be able to play in todays game.
Too small. Too slow. Not strong enough.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 am

Troy Brown anyone? I don't think its a matter of size or speed. Its more a talent-desire issue. Ronnie Brown is one of the few guys in the league that runs the wildcat flawlessly. I've watched other teams do it but Brown makes it work. If Davis practiced moving from side to side, I think he could do well. I'm just tired of seeing the other teams marquee WR matched up against our nickleback or a LB in coverage. I think Davis would have the ability to stay with a guy no matter who it is and should be that guy. Just my opinion though and they certainly don't pay me for it.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]