View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Report: Miami Dolphins cut Pat White 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Report: Miami Dolphins cut Pat White
Quote:
Report: Miami Dolphins cut Pat White
by: Mike Berardino September 4th, 2010 | 12:13 PM

UPDATE 1:06 P.M.: ESPN is reporting that Pat White has been cut as well. A source close to White tells me this is “very likely” true, but that White’s camp has not personally been informed of this decision. The 2009 second-round pick was philosophical and at peace as he prepared to meet his fate, as you’ll see in this blog entry. He also sounds up for continuing his football career elsewhere, with the Patriots already being mentioned (as on Draft Day 2009) as a possible landing spot.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... homas.html

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Report: Miami Dolphins cut Pat White
If this kid changes his attitude and stops feeling sorry for himself, he could make something of himself as a specialty player.... I was really disappointed to hear about his lack of work ethic this offseason.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
If this kid changes his attitude and stops feeling sorry for himself, he could make something of himself as a specialty player.... I was really disappointed to hear about his lack of work ethic this offseason.

? Thought I read that he had worked hard all offseason?

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The recent wasted picks are annoying. I hated Jason ALlen coming out of college and the Pat White pick. Pat Turner was a value pick inthe 3rd. The trifecta drafting an option QB to play in the NFL was dumb. Pat will do well in the AFL or in Canada.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

? Thought I read that he had worked hard all offseason?

Me, too. If he didn't make the team it wasn't because of a lack of effort. At this point he just isn't an NFL quarterback.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

yes , coming into camp he was labeled as the one guy who is gonna surprise everyone the most.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ba bye

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
The recent wasted picks are annoying. I hated Jason ALlen coming out of college

Just curious why did you hated Allen coming out of college?and the Pat White pick. Pat Turner was a value pick inthe 3rd.

Makchell wrote:
The trifecta drafting an option QB to play in the NFL was dumb. Pat will do well in the AFL or in Canada.

Love Pat White the person, hated the Qb. He should have accepted what he is & learned a "Slash" type role. Could have had an NFL career & going back to baseball. Have these guys not learned. There is no going back? How many players have had success changing sports after failing in one or the other?

Mike Mayock loved White. The difference. He will not have to answer for his.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:05 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Just curious why did you hated Allen coming out of college?and the Pat White pick. Pat Turner was a value pick inthe 3rd.

I just thought he was overrated. The first impression I got of him was Ronnie Brown rolling him. I know it's one play, but I just didn't like him. I loved Yatil Green, so I know I'm not all that at prospecting. LOL! White was a wasted pick at the beginning. He was small and skinny. Surely not a player that can take a beating in the NFL. I also have seen first hand (Fins Games sitting on the sideline) how the wildcat takes Henne out of rhythm. Turner was a value pick as I stated in another post. I know we can't hit on them all, but the front office must make calculated decisions.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

White isn't as bad as given credit on these boards. He's not an NFL quarterback by any means, but I figured this staff has visions of him as some sort of utility player...but instead they pushed him to run between the tackles and throw out of the pocket...just dumb.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
I loved Yatil Green, so I know I'm not all that at prospecting. LOL!

Green didn't pan out due to injuries. He was healthy at draft time.

Quite the opposit of Allen. I couldn't figure out why anyone would draft a still injured player so high up. Nor could I figure out why anyone would draft a guy was projected to be at best a #2 WR who was good at special teams play, as a top 10 guy, despite how wonderful his family is.

Unfortunately, the list of our highly questionable 1st round picks over the past 10 years is a long one. And this doesn't come as 20/20 hindsight. I questioned many of them the moment the picks were made.

Last edited by degs on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

degs wrote:

Unfortunately, the list of our highly questionable 1st round picks over the past 10 years is a long one. And this doesn't come as 20/20 hindsight. I questioned many of them the moment the picks were made.

You got that right...

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Unfortunately, the list of our highly questionable 1st round picks over the past 10 years is a long one. And this doesn't come as 20/20 hindsight. I questioned many of them the moment the picks were made

I remember watching the Flyers Sabers playoff game in '01 when I thought for sure we would pick Brees, nope Fletcher was the pick. I was buzzed and I almost threw up after that pick, my day was ruined. The FLyers lost too, blow out....bad day. You're 100% right and now I remember Allen was injured, he would have slipped anyway. good point.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Unfortunately, the list of our highly questionable 1st round picks over the past 10 years is a long one. And this doesn't come as 20/20 hindsight. I questioned many of them the moment the picks were made

I remember watching the Flyers Sabers playoff game in '01 when I thought for sure we would pick Brees, nope Fletcher was the pick. I was buzzed and I almost threw up after that pick, my day was ruined. The FLyers lost too, blow out....bad day. You're 100% right and now I remember Allen was injured, he would have slipped anyway. good point.

I was at MSG in person for the 01 draft. I was stunned that we passed on Brees and utterly dumbfounded that we took Fletcher. And not just me. When they announced Fletchers name, there were hundreds of "huh's???" uttered at the same moment. It was an awful pick for so many reasons.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have to tell you...that Jason Allen pick p-ssed me off on day #1. I hardly knew who the guy was, then the announcer started talking about how he had just had a major injury and would surely have slipped to later rounds....what a waste of a 1st round pick. I loved the Ginn pick, but was totally surprised we passed on Quinn.....now, it looks like it would have been a bust either way we went. Hated the Pat White pick. He was painful to watch at the NFL level....definitely not an NFL QB, and I don't really think he would be all that great in any other role. He would probably excel in the CFL or Arena League....maybe he could try that and work his way back to the NFL at some point? This year, the Odrick pick bummed me out. I hope he turns into the beast folks say he can be....because there were plenty of other highly touted defensive players (and some offensive stars in the making) on the board when we picked Odrick.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
This year, the Odrick pick bummed me out.

The Odrick pick surprised me, I thought they would be going in other directions. I think they traded down a little bit too far to get the guy they were looking for.

But Odrick isn't in the same class of pick as the others. The others mentioned were complete and total reaches; players who could have been still be there in later rounds and in Fletchers case, we took a player at a position we already had Probowlers, while we had desperate needs at so many other positions.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:

But Odrick isn't in the same class of pick as the others. The others mentioned were complete and total reaches; players who could have been still be there in later rounds and in Fletchers case, we took a player at a position we already had Probowlers, while we had desperate needs at so many other positions.

The position was a major need when Miami took Fletcher. Yes, they had Madison & Surtain, but the 3rd DB was being eaten alive by other teams. Cherbet? They simply took the wrong player.

Brees looks like it would have been a solid pick. However, Brees sucked for 3 Yrs. Had Miami taken him they would not have stayed with him for 3 Yrs. So he would have been playing somewhere else anyway. Probably never has the career he is currently having either.

The problem came because Jimmy never drafted a QB high enough to develop so when he left Miami had a team ready to push for a SB, but did not have a QB solid enough to get them there.

Odrick was a solid pick. Not a surprising pick, but solid. I believe they wanted Williams, but had obviously that was to high for him at 12 & they had to get a 2nd back. The Cardinals taking him did surprise me. Regardless.

Odrick, Marshall for a 2nd Rd. pick a year later & a trade down in Rd. 1 & dropping down in Rd 2 is a pretty good deal. ( From Miami's to SD pick )

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
The position was a major need when Miami took Fletcher. Yes, they had Madison & Surtain, but the 3rd DB was being eaten alive by other teams. Cherbet? They simply took the wrong player.

Your offense was basically in shambles, you need probably 10 NFL caliber starting players, but your top priority is a part-time player? That's a great way to set up a team for complete and total failure. And that's exactly what happened.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

degs wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Your offense was basically in shambles, you need probably 10 NFL caliber starting players, but your top priority is a part-time player? That's a great way to set up a team for complete and total failure. And that's exactly what happened.

You're understating the need Miami had at nickel corner at the time. Teams used to spreadh Miami out with 3, 4 and even 5 wide sets regularly and burn them in the slot. Most of our defensive meltdowns at the end of the year were teams burning our nickel corner.

That being said, picking a zone corner to play in a man system was a dumb move. And yes there were needs on offense... but mainly only one need at the quarterback position.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 am

I guess the whole Pat white pick was to capitalize more on the success of the wildcat from the previous year. What wasn't figured however that teams basically figured out how to defend the wildcat being that the element of surprise was gone & also Pat White while showing skills on the college level simply is just one of those guys that is not an NFL player. To miss on this pick in the round that it was made however you would expect that Parcells would have seen this but like is staed in another thread he is not a genius & this type of miss on a pick happens to all of these guys at some time or another. Just like we have done with our history of bad picks we have cut our losses & its time to move on.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:44 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

picking a zone corner to play in a man system was a dumb move

You beat me to it. He played zone not man. Wanny should have known as well.

guess the whole Pat white pick was to capitalize more on the success of the wildcat from the previous year. What wasn't figured however that teams basically figured out how to defend the wildcat

We have a brand new QB that gets into the game and he gets yanked for a gimmick. Dumb. RIch, Mitch and I saw it first hand last year. It was a disaster as most of you saw on TV. Argue all you want about the wildcat, but it is going to die as teams figure it out. Check the stats over the last few years and it has dropped. Back to Parcells drafting White was prob. one of the worst picks in hitory, even in the 2nd rd. TO draft a player to run a gimmick that was dying, not evolving was stupid. Most of us on here were banging our heads with that pick jsut on the logic of it alone. SOme even argued that he would compete with Henne. Wow...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I called Pat White the drive killer and even had a pick of him on Marvin the Martian's body in my sig, anointing him as the drive killer. I cringed each and every time they put him in to play and hated the way it took Henne out of a rhythm.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
That being said, picking a zone corner to play in a man system was a dumb move. And yes there were needs on offense... but mainly only one need at the quarterback position.

A nickel corner can be picked up via FA, no need to use a 1st round pick on a guy who can get maybe 50 or so percent of the snaps. THat's just bad strategy.

Gotta disagree with you on "mainly only one need."
Our top receiver was Gadsden. I liked Oronde, but he was no #1 WR. Our #2 WR (in catches, yards and TD's) was Lesley Shepherd.
RB was Lamar Smith, essentially a fill in.
TE was Hunter Goodwin...nuff said.
We all know that Jay Fiedler was a band-aid.

THis was a patchwork bunch.

THe offense was ranked 16th in the league even though tHe D was ranked 3rd in the league (not getting burned all that much), which should have helped the O.

Kind of like taking a special teamer in the top 10, this was a poor strategic choice.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]