Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

My vote for Stephen Ross would be a ...
Yes, keep him as a Dolphins owner. 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
No, force him to sell the team. 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 11
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Some of the experts were giving their input on how to improve the NFL, and this was a suggestion by Mark Leibovich of the NY Times. What vote would you give Stephen Ross if you had a chance to vote him in or out?

FMIA: Peter King wrote:
Mark Leibovich: Put Bad Ownership Up For a Public Vote

Chief national correspondent, New York Times Magazine. Author, “Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times”

If I could change one rule in the NFL—and I realize this would never happen in the real world but what the hell—I would put in a rule that owners need to stand for re-election every five years. Anyone who lived in the jurisdiction where the team plays, or who purchased a ticket to a home game in the last calendar year, would be eligible to vote, either “approve” or “disapprove,” on the owners’ performance. If an owner receives less than 35-percent approval, he or she would be forced to sell the franchise within 90 days, and that new owner would be forbidden from moving the team. As citizens in a democracy, one of the few remedies we have against corruption, incompetence, arrogance, etc. is to vote. As football fans, we have no such right. Instead, we are subjected to the monopolistic whims of unelected oligarchs in our communities. In many cases they are greedy idiots. They wield largely unchecked power over the fortunes of players, fans, local politicians, even their own “commissioner.” Until now.

See you on Election Day, Mr. Snyder.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I have not hidden that I don't like him as an owner. He can go back to ny and stay as far as I am conerned.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a fantasy in a scenario that makes zero sense, but I’ll play.

Absolutely not. He’s grown as an owner. You can always do worse. Mark’s idea on elections is very interesting, but it would scare the hell out of people looking to invest & buy a team.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that owners should NOT have full stop privilege of relocating the team though. NFL teams are almost like family members to a lot of their fans. They shouldn’t be so free to play with that just to line their own pockets. THAT I 100% agree with. That’s BS and predatory if you ask me.

If the Fins had a complete relocation out of state or even just outside of the So. Fla region, I would have no problems completely disconnecting from the NFL until Miami inevitably got another franchise. Even if they kept the history of ‘72-‘73, Shula & Marino. I would be 100% done with pro football.

I’m a Dolphin fan because that’s my hometown team. That’s it. Once they move, my marriage is completely severed with them and the league itself. Ride or die. I’ll always be with this team...as long as they remain where they belong. That’s my only condition.

If they moved out of state I would have nothing but carelessness of the league & bad intentions for the future of the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I am against the concept in principle, you should not be able to vote someone else out of an ownership.

I imagine in the realm of possible outcomes there would be one where the Phins could end up with a worse owner. : )

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I imagine in the realm of possible outcomes there would be one where the Phins could end up with a worse owner. : )

You know it.

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

An interesting daydream, for sure.

Most owners that end up being "good owners" don't have it figured out from the start. It takes them awhile. And, it usually doesn't happen until they get either the right coach, the right GM, or both. A pretty hefty percentage of owners never figure it out.

While probably not at the speed the public would like, Ross has shown positive growth as an owner. He's always been willing to spend piles of his own money on the stadium, organization, and team, which is the most important quality of good owner. (See Miami Marlins ownership as a counter-example.) And recently, he was willing to admit failure publicly and head back to the drawing board to try something different.

I had great consternation with the Rams and Chargers moving to LA, because people were still going to the games when they were mediocre or worse. I would have zero problem with the Tampa Bay Rays moving to Charlotte or Nashville. There's probably a set of criteria that could be developed that if met, would show that a team should move.

The taxpayers won't buy me a stadium doesn't cut it for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
The taxpayers won't buy me a stadium doesn't cut it for me.

I never understood why this was even lawful. The government must benefit a lot from it, otherwise, it wouldn’t fly.

And screw the Marlins.

:)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I actually like Ross, but if he hadn't changed his thought process after last season, I would have been happy to vote him out. Of course, that scenario would never fly as the NFL would never allow it. One thing I do think should change is not allowing owners to move a team.

Ross has been very good about opening his wallet to make this team better, and trusting his personnel to make the decisions. I don't care if he wants to have his "party" rooms at the stadium. It's his team, and he's shelled out a lot of money to improve the stadium when the state of Florida voted it down. Hopefully, he's made the right decision in making Grier the GM. So far Grier's moves have just been so-so, which is a better record than previous Dolphins GMs.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:53 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

IDK. For the average fan the stadium is hardly an improvement

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:27 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Actually the right to vote an owner out already kind of exists. No one is forced to buy game tickets and team merchandise.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Relive1972 wrote:
Actually the right to vote an owner out already kind of exists. No one is forced to buy game tickets and team merchandise.

That’s a stretch man...has that literally ever worked, even once?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:52 pm 

Thats another thing that works to New Englands advantage. The other 3 teams in the division has some of the worst ownership in the league.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

We'll get to see what New England ownership really looks like soon, when the Brady/Belichick era comes to an end and the McDaniels/Stidham? era starts.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Change starts from the top, and Ross is showing that even he has changed in what he says to the media.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Then, during his minute or so spent among the reporters, Ross said this of Rosen and his situation:

“He’s competing,” Ross said. “That’s all I know. I’m not making the decision. He’s competing. There’s nothing else to say. The coach has told you that. Everybody tells you that. That’s all it is.”

Asked if he thought the Dolphins are pointed in the right direction, Ross responded: “Hey, we’re all optimistic, right?”

Then he walked away.

And did you see what just happened there? Ross stayed on message. He didn’t spill any beans. He didn’t contradict Flores. And that, too, deserves recognition and praise because it shows, well, control.

And restraint.

That is what the Dolphins have been striving for internally since the so-called New England South way of doing business became a thing when Flores was hired away from the Patriots. They want to be more disciplined on the field and off, with their play and their message.

This was a good example of that.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 78784.html

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:49 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I agree 100% with being about to vote out owners. The problem we currently have is that the NFL is so exclusive, that even bad performing teams still give their owners wealth and/or status. So fans get stuck with owners who settle for losing. The NFL would become more competitive and actually gain more watchers if they allowed us to vote out bad owners like Ross.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:47 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
The problem we currently have is that the NFL is so exclusive

...and I hate that DirecTV has the exclusive rights to the NFL. I work for a service provider and the current model is unsustainable. The millennial's are breaking this model.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]