All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

No surprise except we may be rising in the ranks now. PFT has the Cardinals, Jets, and Giants ranked worst than the Dolphins which is a far cry from the traditional worst team. Heck, ESPN has us losing all 16 games this year.

PFT wrote:
4. Dolphins: Although being in the same division as the Patriots hasn’t helped, the Dolphins have done little to help themselves. The slide began when Dan Marino retired, and it accelerated when doctors told Nick Saban to send a second-round pick for Daunte Culpepper and his wrecked knee in lieu of signing Drew Brees and his wrecked shoulder. The Dolphins continue to grope for an answer at quarterback, and the absence of one has been the biggest impediment to sustained success. Giving up too quickly on coach Adam Gase didn’t help matters, and now owner Stephen Ross can only hope that new coach Brian Flores will bring a New England vibe to South Florida. Quickly. The fact that this franchise was once so relevant makes it even more glaring that, over the past two decades, it has plunged into the role of perennial afterthought, with periodic but fleeting exceptions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rty-dozen/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Wait, he says we gave up on Gase too quickly, Gase goes to the Jets and they're ranked below us?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Like I said, this team is FAR from a lock to be picking 1st overall. Top 10 is pretty dam likely though.

I certainly like the prospects of this team more than the Giants & Cards.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I've noticed a lot of 2020 Mock Drafts no longer have Miami picking 1st overall.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Relive1972 wrote:
Wait, he says we gave up on Gase too quickly, Gase goes to the Jets and they're ranked below us?

NFLJunkie must have written that part.

:haha

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

He's right about the slide though. In the 30 years that Shula/JJ were at the helm, this team had only two losing seasons and 20 playoff appearances. Since WannSCHLEP took over, the past nineteen years have yielded ten losing seasons and only four playoff appearances.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
He's right about the slide though. In the 30 years that Shula/JJ were at the helm, this team had only two losing seasons and 20 playoff appearances. Since WannSCHLEP took over, the past nineteen years have yielded ten losing seasons and only four playoff appearances.

In Shula's last year when fans gave up on him, he still had a playoff team. Dan Marino played best under The Don.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Fans gave up on Shula? What a nice parting gift jj gave to the Phins in Wannstedt.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AQNOR wrote:
Fans gave up on Shula? What a nice parting gift jj gave to the Phins in Wannstedt.

Right. Shula’s time had come, actually a couple of years too late, but still, had JJ not had a mercenary mind set when he took over and instead came in for the long haul Fins would have been back at the top again and in almost no time. Heck, he rebuilt that defense in a couple of years, and despite the draft mistakes he made on offense he would have rebuilt that side as well had he stayed longer.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:50 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I did not have a gauge of Phins fans towards Shula back then just my own limited group of aquantices. I was not aware that the fans gave up on him. I am learning something new.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Remarkable, isn’t it. How fast they fell.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Right. Shula’s time had come, actually a couple of years too late, but still, had JJ not had a mercenary mind set when he took over and instead came in for the long haul Fins would have been back at the top again and in almost no time. Heck, he rebuilt that defense in a couple of years, and despite the draft mistakes he made on offense he would have rebuilt that side as well had he stayed longer.

So comparing Shula's last four years to jj four years I would go with Shula. Anyway I think Shula should have been able to go out on his own terms instead of being kicked out. He built the franchise into the winner it had a reputation for and he should have been treated differently. Shula the coach with the most wins in the NFL. But that is just my opinion probably not held by the majority.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

JJ played dirty. He lobbied for Shulas job while on fox.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:00 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

JJ inherited Dan Marino, and then failed to provide him with a good WR to line up with OJ McDuffie. He drafted Yatil green in '97 with the 15th overall pick, and Green spent the next 2 years on IR with knee injuries. Then, in 1998, instead of staying put at 19 and drafting Randy moss, he traded down with the Packers and took John Avery. Minnesota drafted Moss with the 21st pick. Ouch. He was also stubborn about fixing the running game, but the RBs he drafted weren't all that good. But JJ insisted they stay with the run, and forbade Marino to audible out of running plays. JJ could build a defense, but the offense he tried to build in Miami was a disaster.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:
JJ inherited Dan Marino, ....JJ could build a defense, but the offense he tried to build in Miami was a disaster.

Marino was well past his productive years by the time JJ got here. Marino was also a hard headed superstar used to getting his way with Shula, with JJ he couldn’t do it, especially with JJ knowing he wasn’t the gun slinger he had been.

Yatil was bad luck, can’t blame that on JJ.

I agree that his picks on offense didn’t come close to those on defense, passing on Moss was a major blunder, drafting John Avery as well, but with that defense JJ would have been in serious contention while he got his picks on offense straight and you KNOW he would have. But that wasn’t to be. JJ came in and had a short term mentality, show up Shula, and get out. JJ and Shula had that grievance going on since the time JJ fired Shula’s kid David Shula in Dallas, so that was the problem. If not for that you would have been singing his praises today and we wouldn’t have to be reliving 1972 for almost five decades!

Shula’s defense for years was an embarrassment, Marino had to score 400 points just stay in the game. That 300 yd game by Thurman Thomas was evidence of his failure to have a playoff defense, keeping Oliva-no-Defense was part of that and Shula knew it, so he goes and interviews Pete Caroll to run the defense but Caroll’s cocky demeanor was a threat to Shula’s comfort zone, which is why Shula kept all those schleppers around him like your boy Sandusky.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:59 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:
JJ inherited Dan Marino, ....JJ could build a defense, but the offense he tried to build in Miami was a disaster.

Marino was well past his productive years by the time JJ got here. Marino was also a hard headed superstar used to getting his way with Shula, with JJ he couldn’t do it, especially with JJ knowing he wasn’t the gun slinger he had been.

I agree that his picks on offense didn’t come close to those on defense, passing on Moss was a major blunder, drafting John Avery as well, but with that defense JJ would have been in serious contention while he got his picks on offense straight and you KNOW he would have. But that wasn’t to be. JJ came in and had a short term mentality, show up Shula, and get out. JJ and Shula had that grievance going on since the time JJ fired Shula’s kid David Shula in Dallas, so that was the problem. If not for that you would have been singing his praises today and we wouldn’t have to be reliving 1972 for almost five decades!

Shula’s defense for years was an embarrassment, Marino had to score 400 points just stay in the game. That 300 yd game by Thurman Thomas was evidence of his failure to have a playoff defense, keeping Oliva-no-Defense was part of that and Shula knew it, so he goes and interviews Pete Caroll to run the defense but Caroll’s cocky demeanor was a threat to Shula’s comfort zone, which is why Shula kept all those schleppers around him like your boy Sandusky.

If jj plan was to show Shula up then he should have tried harder. The only part of his plan as you relate it is that he got right was out quick.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:19 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

BLASPHEMY!!!

Marino was just getting back into stride after his achilles injury when Shula retired and JJ took over. Thanks to Sandusky's protections, Marino's uniforms didn't even need washing, he was kept so clean. JJ took a team that was well known for it's passing offense, and instead of building on that passing offense, he tried to change it to a run-first offense. He failed miserably and for the life of me I can't figure out why Marino went to JJ and begged him to come back for one more season after he threatened to retire after 1998. Johnson punked Marino and never gave him the respect he deserved. And no, I'll never believe JJ could build an offense. He was a defensive expert, not an offensive one. Screw Jimmy Johnson.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:38 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Quote:
"Relive1972” ...Johnson punked Marino and never gave him the respect he deserved. And no, I'll never believe JJ could build an offense. He was a defensive expert, not an offensive one. Screw Jimmy Johnson.

Couldn’t draft offense, eh? Here’s what he did in Dallas in 3 drafts, 1989-1991.

Troy Aikman
Steve Wisniewski
Darly Johnston
Mark Stepnoski
Steve Walsh
Emmitt Smith
Alvin Harper
Erik Williams

There’s two HOF’ers in there. Not too shabby. Get over it.

And what respect to Marino are you talking about? Marino had to produce and JJ would have kissed his a** all you wanted, but by this time Marino didn’t have it. So yeah, I’ll respect you Dan as you ride into retirement! JJ had to move the franchise forward and he didn’t have time to waste it baby sitting the old superstar.

Shula wasted the best of Marino, at the end trying to buy himself some desperate glory by mortgaging the future with failed former no. 1 picks. In a quick two years JJ returned the team to the playoffs, appearing in three consecutive post seasons, unheard of around here since.

No question JJ would have built this team, offense and defense, into a champion had he stuck around.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:43 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Couldn’t draft offense, eh? Here’s what he did in Dallas in 3 drafts, 1989-1991.

Troy Aikman
Steve Wisniewski
Darly Johnston
Mark Stepnoski
Steve Walsh
Emmitt Smith
Alvin Harper
Erik Williams

There’s two HOF’ers in there. Not too shabby. Get over it.

I can't believe 20+ years later you still haven't figured it out. You bought into all of JJs BS, hook, line, and sinker. Let me run through this one more time for you, try to keep up.........

Jerry Jones was taking full credit for the roster in Dallas. He had gotten rid of JJ, and was still winning SBs with Barry Switzer, so to a lot of people, he was making his point. (Me, I think it was a collaboration of the 2, combined with an awful lot of luck.) JJ's ego couldn't handle it, so he lobbied for the Miami job, (even though it was not open at the time), and he wound up getting it. He wanted the Miami job, partly because he loves living there, but mostly because he thought he could take that team, rebuild the defense and install a power running game, and then beat Jerry Jones' Cowboys face to face in a Super Bowl and rub Jerry's face in it for the whole world to see. It never happened though, because he couldn't select offensive players worth a crap, and Dallas was becoming a non-contender anyway. He sold you and a lot of the rest of the fans of the Dolphins a bill of goods that he was going to return the Dolphins to Super Bowl glory, but it was all about getting back at Jerry Jones and showing the rest of the NFL who was actually responsible for building the Cowboys. By the end of '98 he knew his dream wasn't going to happen and all he wanted to do then was tuck his tail between his legs and run off and hide. Marino talked him into coming back for another try, but he fared even worse in '99. Those 3 straight playoff appearances you brag about? 2nd in the AFC East in '97, 2nd again in '98, and then 3rd in the division in '99. Marino always had multiple good WRs and TEs to throw to in his career, but not in the Johnson years, He deserved better. What he got as a going away gift for all his good work in Miami was a very painful 62-7 loss to the Jaguars. Where was JJ's defense that day?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:
What he got as a going away gift for all his good work in Miami was a very painful 62-7 loss to the Jaguars. Where was JJ's defense that day?

Boy, that’s good reading! Did you just make all that up or were you working on that fiction novel the last 20 years and you are trying it out here? Suggest you don’t quit your day job.

Jones didn’t oust JJ, it was JJ who walked on Jones, wouldn’t take that guy’s ego and meddling, trying (like still today) take all the credit there in Dallas. If it wasn’t such a ridiculous idea Jones would want to do what Paul Brown did in Cleveland, be team owner and head coach so he’s been muscling in on his head coaches forever and thought he could bully JJ around. Nah! That wasn’t going to work, so Jones got drunk that night and was telling everyone that it was he that made the Cowboys. JJ said, the heck with this!

Sure, JJ wanted the SoFl area, fishing, etc., like you said, so the Miami job was the only one that would meet his needs and taking down Shula was another ring on his belt, given the rift they had over JJ’s firing of Shula’s kid. And it was a perfect scenario for all Fins fans. JJ, who put the U back on the map, coming back, and Shula who was desperately trying to hang on, wasting first rounders on the Jackie Ships, Bosas, Kumerous, etc., made it an easy decision for Huizenga. I mean, you had Shula plodding along, if you let him the guy would still be trying here, and JJ out there available? No brainer. Shula out. JJ in. No secret about that decision. But JJ’s mercenary mentality by that time would not allow him to hang around so he built the defense, tried a quick fix on offense, but Marino held him back, and as we’ve found out, painfully, w/out a QB, ur nothing....so he walked. That beating in Jax was just the exclamation point on JJ’s approach here, his heart wasn’t in it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
No question JJ would have built this team, offense and defense, into a champion had he stuck around.

carreramia wrote:
That beating in Jax was just the exclamation point on JJ’s approach here, his heart wasn’t in it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

what? it’s the same thing....he left because he didn’t want it anymore but had he stayed, he would have built the team into another champion.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:50 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
But JJ’s mercenary mentality by that time would not allow him to hang around so he built the defense, tried a quick fix on offense, but Marino held him back, and as we’ve found out, painfully, w/out a QB, ur nothing....so he walked.

You are delusional. Johnson was the one holding Marino back, not the other way around. In the '97 season, Marino had the 2nd best passing numbers in the league, even with the lack of talent he had around him. But no, JJ wasn't happy with that. He insisted the Dolphins run the ball more, and that's when Gary Stevens said "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shi#". So Johnson fired Stevens, and promoted Kippy Brown to OC, instead of bringing in an experienced OC like Infante. Kippy was JJ's puppet and did exactly what JJ wanted, including tying Marino's hands behind his back by taking away his ability to audible. The result was a passing offense that went from 2nd in '97, to 10th in '98, and then 17th in '99. Meanwhile the running game only improved from 29th in '97 to 24th in '98, then 22nd in '99. Stevens was right. Johnson should have left Marino and Stevens alone in '98, and draft Randy Moss and build upon what was actually working. But no, JJ thought he was god, and all he had to do was say run the ball and poof! He'd have a running game. He knew he screwed up after the '97 season, he knew he couldn't draft offense, that's why he tried to quit after the '98 season, and then did after the '99 season. Good riddance! He then topped that off by making Wannstedt his successor. Huizenga should have told him where to go and hire someone else. There were some coaches available then, including some guy named Bill Belichick.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
carreramia wrote:

carreramia wrote:
That beating in Jax was just the exclamation point on JJ’s approach here, his heart wasn’t in it anymore.

carreramia wrote:
what? it’s the same thing....he left because he didn’t want it anymore but had he stayed, he would have built the team into another champion.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Relive1972 wrote:

You are delusional. Johnson was the one holding Marino back, not the other way around. In the '97 season, Marino had the 2nd best passing numbers in the league, even with the lack of talent he had around him.

Delusional? Me?? How about that? The pot calling the kettle black. Now I’ve heard everything. But I’ll humor you.

OK, so yes, Marino had ONE year. And then? In 2 years he was gone. Marino was breaking down, Shula used him up, and he was by the time JJ arrived only a shadow of his greatness. JJ is easy to dislike, specially compared to the royalty of Shula, I get it, but go ahead and put the blame on JJ if it masks reality for you but Shula’s approach wasn’t working, worse, a total crime wasting years and years of Marino’s best. No defense. No running game. JJ had to recreate all that in the span of a couple of years, and look what he was able to accomplish. You don’t think he could have done the same on the offense? If you don't then it is you who’s delusional. The guy could draft, make deals, motivate, kick butt. Why is it that teams send coaches and front office guys to meet with JJ every year to get his counseling? Surely not get tips on fishing. So, we missed out, typical of the Fins luck we’ve carried for half a century almost.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Relive1972 wrote:
Johnson was the one holding Marino back, not the other way around.

I agree with this, although it was clear that Dan wasn't the QB he once was. He needed help and JJ didn't get that for him. While Shula made decisions to utilize Marino with a good OL and good receivers, JJ's approach was to develop a running game. Unfortunately, he took a very good pass blocking offensive line (yet a poor run blocking OL) and turned them into an average pass blocking OL and and an equally average run blocking OL. On top of that, he took the receivers that Dan was most comfortable with and replaced them with receivers who could not gain separation. Dan was always throwing into tight coverage. And, while Shula didn't get that great running back, he did have good running backs who excelled in pass blocking and catching balls out of the backfield. JJ built a very good defense and several of them were exciting players, but that was it.

Could JJ have built a championship team in Miami? It's possible, but his heart wasn't in it after a few years. He didn't draft as well with Miami as he had at Dallas. And he realized that he couldn't beat Danny in a popularity contest, and that seemed to bother him.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:01 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

You are delusional. Johnson was the one holding Marino back, not the other way around. In the '97 season, Marino had the 2nd best passing numbers in the league, even with the lack of talent he had around him.

Delusional? Me?? How about that? The pot calling the kettle black. Now I’ve heard everything. But I’ll humor you.

OK, so yes, Marino had ONE year. And then? In 2 years he was gone. Marino was breaking down, Shula used him up, and he was by the time JJ arrived only a shadow of his greatness. JJ is easy to dislike, specially compared to the royalty of Shula, I get it, but go ahead and put the blame on JJ if it masks reality for you but Shula’s approach wasn’t working, worse, a total crime wasting years and years of Marino’s best. No defense. No running game. JJ had to recreate all that in the span of a couple of years, and look what he was able to accomplish. You don’t think he could have done the same on the offense? If you don't then it is you who’s delusional. The guy could draft, make deals, motivate, kick butt. Why is it that teams send coaches and front office guys to meet with JJ every year to get his counseling? Surely not get tips on fishing. So, we missed out, typical of the Fins luck we’ve carried for half a century almost.

Never said Shula should have hung on a few more years. But as much as he had done for the Dolphins, he deserved to go out on his own terms, not be pushed out like he was. Why does JJ meet with coaches and front office guys? Because, besides thinking he's the god of football, he's a BS artist. Some people actually buy the crap he's selling. Just like some people thought Gase was a QB whisperer and Tannebum a personnel genius.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:46 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Like Tom Landry and coaches that hang on to the past it way past time for the old man to go...he had his run ...JJ was d choice...hands down

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
And he realized that he couldn't beat Danny in a popularity contest, and that seemed to bother him.

Nooooo.....was JJ really that ignorant?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jj's ego probably knows no bounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AQNOR wrote:
carreramia wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

So comparing Shula's last four years to jj four years I would go with Shula. Anyway I think Shula should have been able to go out on his own terms instead of being kicked out. He built the franchise into the winner it had a reputation for and he should have been treated differently. Shula the coach with the most wins in the NFL. But that is just my opinion probably not held by the majority.

Shula couldn't handle the new breed of players that were in the NFL in the 90s. He didn't handle character issues and locker room cancers very well. As a result, that 1995 season was a disaster.
Players were calling out of practice claiming they were hurt, then seen at the barber shop getting haircuts. Players were missing meetings, players were sleeping in meetings, one of Shula's draft busts was even seen jacking off during a meeting.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]