All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Brian Billick, who thinks Rosen is another Jay Cutler, wonders why there is even a QB competition. Billick, who was supposed to be a QB whisperer back in the day, couldn't manage his own quarterbacks. I don't mind having a QB competition as it will push Rosen to improve, but by midway (or sooner) through the season we had better see Rosen as the starter. Otherwise, he is right about wasting a couple of draft picks.

Barry Jackson wrote:
And Billick joins NFL Net’s Daniel Jeremiah and others in wondering why Miami is having a quarterback competition between Rosen and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“Miami has got a ways to go, so why not go with Rosen every snap?” Billick told Rose and Zach Krantz. “If you don’t think Rosen’s the guy, why did you give up a second and fifth?”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree. We know what we have Fitzpatrick. We do not know what we have in Rosen.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

When the Dolphins picked up Fitzpatrick, before they picked up Rosen, I was figuring Fitzpatrick would start the season, play until he implodes, gets dinged up, or is just plain ineffective (figure Game 5 or 6), then a young guy gets a shot for awhile.

For me, the only real differences with Rosen being the young guy, are Fitzpatrick's rope being a game or two shorter, you add Rosen showing a mastery of and leadership of the offense as another factor in yanking Fitzpatrick, and once Rosen hits the Sunday field, he doesn't come out until the end of Week 17, which would have been different with someone like Rudock, who would've been spelled by Fitzpatrick for non-performance.

I don't like the idea of throwing a Rookie QB to the wolves on Day 1. Let them sit and watch for at least a couple weeks.

I understand that Rosen isn't a rookie. I look at him as someone who had an "active red-shirt" season in Arizona.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I can see both sides to this.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson's observations after 2 weeks of OTAs.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The quarterback play, while hardly extraordinary, is better than what we saw during the offseason at times last year — including a flurry of mindless interceptions from Brock Osweiler, who’s now unemployed.

One player, who did not want to speak publicly, said Ryan Fitzpatrick has been the best of the quarterbacks so far but that Josh Rosen also has played well.

Barry Jackson wrote:
You will see snapshots from Rosen that reinforce why he was a top-10 pick: a laser to Preston Williams in the back of the end zone; a perfect spiral to Mike Gesicki for a touchdown down the middle; and another well-thrown ball to Brice Butler for a touchdown down the middle of the field.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 33894.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think the real question is can the Phin s afford to let Fitzpatrick start when he wins the qb competition. The fallout from being charged with elder abuse could be quite damaging.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]