View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 What does all the Dolphins’ roster churning mean? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What does all the Dolphins’ roster churning mean?
Quote:
September 6th, 2010 by Ethan J. Skolnick

The Dolphins have found some useful players by combing the cut lists and waiver wires during the Bill Parcells/Jeff Ireland tenure.

Nate Garner comes to mind. Joey Haynos, Joe Berger and the since-departed Joe Berger are others.

But this seems a bit extreme, doesn’t it?

This reminds me a little of Dave Wannstedt signing his Bears mistakes here, hoping to revive them. Alonzo Mayes and Cade McNown come to mind.

And nearly all of that turnover is in areas where this regime is supposed to have the most expertise: the trenches.

So here’s the question:

What does it mean?

Is it a concern?

Or do you trust what they’re doing?

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_se ... l+Blogs%29

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: What does all the Dolphins’ roster churning mean?
I think it should be a big concern. Everyone we cut was also someone we drafted, traded for, or signed. If you are shuffling large numbers of those folks off and shuffling in other teams castaways, then I don't think it speaks well for your decision making process. Of course, if we find that all these castaways make some sort of improved roster in Miami...then the staff are geniuses. Somehow, I don't see that becoming the case...this year is not looking all that good so far.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think it is. None of the guys cut with the possible exception of David Martin did anyone think that the Dolphins were going to be relying on this year.

I think the signings have made it clear that they do have a lot of o-line concerns.

That they felt that Marques Douglass and Charles Grant could be easily replaced and were not anything special at this point.

And that Bobby Carpenter is an upgrade over Charlie Anderson.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't think Carpenter is an upgrade....especially when we need pass rushers and Charlie Anderson has been effective in that role on the rare occasion when he was turned loose.

All of the folks we have been shuttling in and out lead me to believe we are desperate to fill holes.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:03 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
IEveryone we cut was also someone we drafted, traded for, or signed.

As opposed to what other methods of obtaining players?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It isn't the method of how we obtain the players....it is the fact that we seem to have quite the revolving door going as of late. I am not sure why you sign a guy to have him here for half the preseason...it shows me that the staff really doesn't know which one of the castoffs or has beens will be able to fill a hole in Miami....and castoffs and has beens probably won't make a very good team. Even more alarming are some of the recent high picks that have been utter head scratchers....like Pat White. Also, Pat Turner has been a consistent under-achiever, yet we held on to him a little too long. We were quicker to jettison a solid (if unspectacular) player like Camarillo.....go figure. We send almost all of our pass rushers packing....guess youth has to be served, but man....it will be a painful year.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Guys... all of the people axed were backup guys... and not backup like Ricky Williams is the backup RB... These guys were deemed expendable and it gives the organization the ability to try to find other replacements around the same level as well as maybe hitting on that Diamond in the Rough... it is all hit and miss, no organization slam dunks every move, if they did that team would win the SB every year... I just don't get all of the "Sky is Falling" posts because we get rid of a fourth string WR or a third string OL

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I think it should be a big concern. Everyone we cut was also someone we drafted, traded for, or signed. If you are shuffling large numbers of those folks off and shuffling in other teams castaways, then I don't think it speaks well for your decision making process. Of course, if we find that all these castaways make some sort of improved roster in Miami...then the staff are geniuses. Somehow, I don't see that becoming the case...this year is not looking all that good so far.

There is no year at which to look, how can it not be looking that good yet?

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
It isn't the method of how we obtain the players....it is the fact that we seem to have quite the revolving door going as of late. I am not sure why you sign a guy to have him here for half the preseason...it shows me that the staff really doesn't know which one of the castoffs or has beens will be able to fill a hole in Miami....and castoffs and has beens probably won't make a very good team. Even more alarming are some of the recent high picks that have been utter head scratchers....like Pat White. Also, Pat Turner has been a consistent under-achiever, yet we held on to him a little too long. We were quicker to jettison a solid (if unspectacular) player like Camarillo.....go figure. We send almost all of our pass rushers packing....guess youth has to be served, but man....it will be a painful year.

We kept Turner for 1 full year and an offseason. How exactly is that too long?

Every team has a revolving door at the bottom of the roster. This is not something different from the rest of the league.

We only "jettisoned" Camarillo because he had trade value. You're talking about different types of player transactions that have nothing to do with one another.

The only thing that will make a painful year are all the balcony dwellers yelling about how bad everything seems before 1 snap has been played.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the poor play in preseason means something....Others think preseason means nothing....let's see how those viewpoints look after four weeks of the regular season. I think we might be 1-3 at that point....possibly 0-4.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I think the poor play in preseason means something....Others think preseason means nothing....let's see how those viewpoints look after four weeks of the regular season. I think we might be 1-3 at that point....possibly 0-4.

We'll be 3-1. I guarantee it. If not you can make me whatever sig for the rest of the calendar year. Deal?

BTW, we were 4-0 and dominated opponents in last year's Pre Season, and started the year 0-3. Pre Season means zip. It's all vanilla...even more so than Paul P.'s Defense was. The only thing that concerns me from the Pre Season is the injury to Jake Long. That's it.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I will be working on your sig design soon. It won't be mean, just funny. If they come out of the gates 4-0, I should probably add a signature line to my sig....something like Pessimistic Phin Phan, the artist formerly known as Frustrated Fin Fan...

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

so they kept Nalbone over Martin..apparently he is faster.. and a better blocker...def younger.. ok we will see how that plays out...Douglas and Grant...they really wouldn't see the feield much as McDaniel will be first of the bench and in obvious passing downs you might see stark's shift outside....so they decide to get 2 young guys to see if they can develop, we all know that grant and Douglas were here for 1 year only...not really that big of a move in the end...Allen move still puzzles me.. guess the injury factor played into that.. that's the only one that i am not sure about

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

oii

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I guess our staff always does preach about not necessarily having the best 53, but rather having the "right" 53 roster. Right now these moves are too unexpected to fully understand and its too early in the season to tell whether we've got a good enough team to make the playoffs or not. I just hope we can get a win in Buffalo and start the season off on the "right" foot.
:grin:

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]