View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mel Kiper: Chad Henne is QB with most pressure on him in NFL 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Mel Kiper: Chad Henne is QB with most pressure on him in NFL
Apparently, Mel Kiper has given up trying to evaluate college talent....

I agree. He has the tools offensively, now it's up to him to lead this team to a Division. It's on his shoulders, whether he's ready for it or not. I think he is.

Quote:
Clearly, I view a lot of NFL personnel moves through the prism of the draft. But, quite frankly, so do the front offices in this league.

Think about it: The average NFL career lasts about 2½ years. In the NBA, guaranteed rookie contracts for first-round picks last longer! Because of performance issues, the constant pressure on coaches to find solutions so they can spare their own jobs and the inevitability of injuries, the league churns through players at a remarkable rate, and it always will. Throughout the season, I'll look at NFL storylines and point out the things I'll be watching closest in terms of personnel as I review all the tapes.

This week, it's about quarterbacks. Namely, these are the guys I'll be watching closely based on where they stand with their organizations and what that could mean for the future.

Chad Henne -- Miami Dolphins
Anytime you get "anointed" without much of a track record, the pressure's on. But in the case of Henne -- who I absolutely think deserves the starting nod, so don't get me wrong -- the situation is even more pressing because of the way the team has been constructed for a quarterback to succeed. The running game is there with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams behind a well-built offensive line with a remarkable talent in Jake Long on the left side, and now the long-battered receiving corps is no longer an excuse.

Brandon Marshall leads a group that, with Brian Hartline and Davone Bess, stacks up well. People often equate Marshall to a down-the-field threat, but I think he'll be much more helpful to Henne in the intermediate routes. He's a big target who can get good position and grab the ball in traffic. The biggest issue for Henne will be in the win-loss column. The Dolphins are built to win, and because he's still on his rookie contract, the Dolphins don't have a massive investment in Henne aside from the opportunity he's getting on the field. This is his season to state his case, otherwise, the organization won't have good reason to be patient. For me, it all comes down to consistency.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... id=5554287

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Mel Kiper: Chad Henne is QB with most pressure on him in NFL
I disagree. What about brett Farve and Tony Romo?

Maybe this is true in a year, but the expectations for Miami are
and should be 9-7 with a shot at a wildcard. This team is young having undergone a recent overhall. They need to tell Henne to have fun, let it
loose and play ball.

And as for the recent annointment? Well, that's why our owner isn't picking the personel.

And should Henne fail, we do have Pennington and Thigpen. Either would make at least a stopgap QB till the fins find the right QB.

Perhaps Mel should find a job that has nothing to do with NFL.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:02 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I disagree also Henne is not even the QB with the most pressure on him in his own division.

Tom Brady is the league's highest paid player now and expected to contend every year for a title and put up record numbers.

Mark Sancehz is a former first round pick, with very suspect accuracy, and the expectation that he is going to lead the Jests to the Super Bowl this year.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

catman_56 wrote:
I disagree also Henne is not even the QB with the most pressure on him in his own division.

Tom Brady is the league's highest paid player now and expected to contend every year for a title and put up record numbers.

Mark Sancehz is a former first round pick, with very suspect accuracy, and the expectation that he is going to lead the Jests to the Super Bowl this year.

Good observations.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Farve, Romo, Sanchez, Alex SMith, Josh Freeman, Vince Young, David Garrald, Matt Cassel, Trent Edwards....I think their is alot of pressure on almost every QB in the league. You either put up or go home.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hmm...

Brady, Henne, Sachez... must be nice to be Edwards. With his expectations, every completed pass will be worthy of a ticker tape parade.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Most pressure - Mark Sanchez....the Jets just broke the bank on big name FA's to bolster both sides of the team.

2nd - Brady's backup QB when Brady's skirt gets wrinkled

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ironic that he says this, because I was just thinking the other day about how Miami has seemed to not want to put a lot of pressure on Henne. Think about it, if he fails, they have Pennington and Thigpen. Pennington is there to lead, and they didn't vote Henne as captain so essentially the only thing Henne has to do is focus on throwing the football.
I understand I simplified that, but the amount of pressure put on Henne has been minimalized by this staff.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

In addition, it's not like Parcells is a wizard when it comes to quarterbacks. He didn't want anything to do with Tony Romo, and it wasn't until he left that Dallas finally let him loose.
Hostedtler, Simms, Bledsoe, Testaverde...
Only Bledsoe did Parcells actually "develop" and the Giants were a running/defense team.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Kiper is a horses ass. I hate him and his fake butt weave. I can't believe espn actually pays this guy. The guy is paid to guess on talent or should I say potential talent. Just go back and look at the kinds of things he said about Terrel Davis, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Ryan Leaf, Jason Allen.....shit! the list goes on on on on on. Okay he hit on Jake Long but, cmon man!!!!!!!......that was a no brainer.

Hint, hint, hint........I hate Mel Kiper.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]