All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Does anyone else NOT see this happening? He's a talented back, but I don't see the Dolphins adding a high priced free agent running back if they feel they can draft one. Also, even though he swallowed his pride and came back to play after sitting out the first four games, he did hold out and put himself ahead of the team. That's a character trait that the Dolphins aren't looking to add to this team.

Bleacher Report wrote:
Melvin Gordon III's contract standoff with the Los Angeles Chargers started last offseason. He didn't report to training camp and missed the first four weeks of the 2019 campaign. The organization won the financial tug-of-war, but the two-time Pro Bowler hopes to remain with the club, per Josh Alper of Pro Football Talk.

"Hopefully, I'm here," Gordon said. "Hopefully, I don't have to wait til [the new league year in] March to know where I’m gonna be playing."

On the other hand, Gordon understands the Chargers' plan may not involve him.

"When it comes to business, you have to take your emotions out of it," he said. "It's not about if you deserve to be here or not. I’ve talked to Tom [Telesco] plenty of times, he tells me 'you deserve to get paid,' but sometimes it just might not be the right situation."

In Gordon's absence, Austin Ekeler, who's going to be a restricted free agent, flashed in the lead role. He's every bit of a complete running back, logging 1,550 yards and 11 touchdowns from scrimmage during the 2019 campaign.

The Chargers are unlikely to keep both tailbacks on new deals. Don't be surprised if they choose Ekeler, who's two years younger and may be cheaper because of his restricted label.

Gordon's demand for a new contract and his five-year history of taking on the featured position will probably lead him elsewhere. At 26 years old, he's still in his prime and can produce with a high volume of touches.

The Miami Dolphins don't have an established running back. None of their tailbacks has started more than eight games in a season. In 2019, Kalen Ballage led the team with 74 rushing attempts and recorded 135 yards and three touchdowns.

According to Spotrac, the Dolphins are projected to open the offseason with $93.7 million in cap space, the most in the NFL. Gordon's contract wouldn't put a huge dent in their financial resources, and the backfield would have a proven commodity to elevate the ground attack.

Prediction: Gordon signs four-year, $42 million deal with the Dolphins

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... and#slide2

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]