View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Henne has all day to throw...and can't find the open guy 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Henne has all day to throw...and can't find the open guy
Henne had an alright game, not a great one. Am i worried? No. But yes he needs to start making those throws NOW. Theres no debate there. As a quarterback there are many things to work on later in the career. How to throw a football is one of the first steps. Yes he played safe and im blameing(dont think thats spelled right) Penny 100%. I remember some throws last year that almost made my heart stop that henne compleated and im sure he'll open it up again soon(I hope) Yes we should and are usually happy with a win but AOA001, i dont know what your trying to do. Its getting old fast, were going to criticize and sometimes flat out complain. Its what the internet was made for and the whole point of dissucion. leave it be. This particular thread is about Henne who left much to evaluate.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Iowafin wrote:
AOA001 wrote:
played good football

No they didn't. There are lots of areas to improve on.

They lost 34-10 in Buffalo, In November with nice weather. Henne threw 3 PICs. Miami jumped out to an early lead, was running the ball well but just like yesterday the Bills weathered the running game and began making plays on offense. So yes, while I'm certain Sparano agrees with you on the needs improvement, don't undermine how big coming out of Buffalo with a win is.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:06 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

All the people saying he needs to do this or that NOW provide a prime example of what a crappy fanbase exists in South Florida.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 am

I'm critical of Henne....but want him to succeed. At the end of the day, most people just need to vent a little frustration with a dink and dunk passing game that gets stuck in the mud. (Either Henne or Henning?) When Miami starts facing some better teams, Henne will have to start taking some chances downfield. Just "not" turning the ball over and throwing to the check down won't cut it against Miami's upcoming schedule.
The scenario I saw last season was simply a team trying to protect a small lead instead of trying to build a bigger one. That is also what I saw yesterday. The problem is teams say fine, I'll bring both safeties up to stop the run and instead of trying to exploit that, Miami simply forces safeball at them.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:26 am

I think the biggest problem with Henne is his ability to process information and make a decision with anticipation.

There were a few plays yesterday in which he was making the right reads a half second too late. This was probably the case with the Marshall underthrow. Henne needs to recognize and process faster so he can make those anticipation throws Pennington is so famous for.

This is something that isn't going to happen overnight. It may not happen this season. No one can predict when the game is going to slow down for a QB.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm more critical of the offense as a whole, and the coaches who manage it, than I am of Henne. He has a hand-cannon and it just seems like the play-calling works against that. I also don't feel like we fed the stud yesterday either. Ronnie was clearly outperforming Ricky in the ground game, yet he was seemingly pulled. What gives?

We threw one deep ball yesterday. ONE! And it was dropped (it happens). Where is the expanded offense? All of the pieces are in place. Henne has time in the pocket, the run game is pimp, we got our big man outside... where is the deep ball? Why does this question come up EVERY YEAR!?!

My question is, how does Henne "get it" over time when he is being trained dink and dunk? Where is the deep ball?

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 am

I think Rich is right on this. We're just doomed for some growing pains at QB. I think Henne is the right guy but its going to take awhile. I think Henne is still suffering from a lack of confidence. The coaches have tweaked him so much they've got him thinking about his mechanics. On that throw to Marshall had he just let it fly, it would've been six points but I guarantee he was thinking of putting some touch on it. It'll come...maybe not this year but when it does, he'll be a top tier QB. My expectations this year would be that he work on getting his QB rating into the mid 80s. That might be a little lofty but nonetheless I think he's capable.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm just getting fed up with the dink and dunk all day long. Every year there is an excuse. Oh Penny doesn't have the arm, so we get a hand cannon QB. Oh poor Henne doesn't have a #1 WR, so we get Brandon Freaking Marshall. What is it now? Oh Henne is still deveolping... in his 3rd year...

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ski_Money wrote:
I'm just getting fed up with the dink and dunk all day long. Every year there is an excuse. Oh Penny doesn't have the arm, so we get a hand cannon QB. Oh poor Henne doesn't have a #1 WR, so we get Brandon Freaking Marshall. What is it now? Oh Henne is still deveolping... in his 3rd year...

The Pats won a few superbowls with dink and dunk and intermediate throws. Its the decision making and not forcing the ball that makes it successful. Last I checked, Brady hasn't won a Superbowl with the air mail offense to Randy Moss.

Execution and making reads. Yes, Henne is still developing. He'll be developing for the next few years, and if he applies what he learns he'll establish himself as a good qb while continuing to develop.

The difference between Henne's check downs and those in the past from Fiedler, Griese, Harrington, and to a lesser extent Pennington, is that Henne can fire the shorter passes in to tighter windows. The previously mentioned (not really Pennington I guess) floated some ducks that made for easier interceptions. Some of the tight throws to Marshall while heavily covered probably get swatted or picked with a lesser arm.

Point is let Henne do what works for him now. They actually have a receiving corp built for a shorter passing game with after the catch production. It will be rare for these receivers to consistently get behind defenses. You want air mail, go watch Jay Cutler throw 25 picks in Chicago.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 am

jammer wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

The Pats won a few superbowls with dink and dunk and intermediate throws. Its the decision making and not forcing the ball that makes it successful. Last I checked, Brady hasn't won a Superbowl with the air mail offense to Randy Moss.

Execution and making reads. Yes, Henne is still developing. He'll be developing for the next few years, and if he applies what he learns he'll establish himself as a good qb while continuing to develop.

The difference between Henne's check downs and those in the past from Fiedler, Griese, Harrington, and to a lesser extent Pennington, is that Henne can fire the shorter passes in to tighter windows. The previously mentioned (not really Pennington I guess) floated some ducks that made for easier interceptions. Some of the tight throws to Marshall while heavily covered probably get swatted or picked with a lesser arm.

Point is let Henne do what works for him now. They actually have a receiving corp built for a shorter passing game with after the catch production. It will be rare for these receivers to consistently get behind defenses. You want air mail, go watch Jay Cutler throw 25 picks in Chicago.

... all good points but how many solid running teams with dink-n-dunk offenses made the playoffs last season? Minnesota and New Orleans were easily the best teams in football. Both had offenses that aired it out and challenged the deep half of the field. Miami also has to learn to make games easier on themselves. Why quit throwing on first down when you're up by 3 or 7? They need to build a solid 14-17 point lead and then start the ball control offense. Ball control only works if the idea is to suck the defense up and then make them pay with a quick six deep.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As for the Patriots, they went 16-0 with Air Mail. They lost the SB that year to the deep ball. The Colts just went 15-1 with their Haiti Relief Air Drops. The Saints just won the SB with the most amazing aerial display i've seen in years since 2007. Greatest show on turf... do I need to go on?

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ski_Money wrote:
As for the Patriots, they went 16-0 with Air Mail. They lost the SB that year to the deep ball. The Colts just went 15-1 with their Haiti Relief Air Drops. The Saints just won the SB with the most amazing aerial display i've seen in years since 2007. Greatest show on turf... do I need to go on?

You only added to the point. Both approaches work, but you don't apply one if you aren't excelling at it. Indy, NO, and Minnesota have veteran QB's who have taken their lumps and over time became good deep passers. Henne isn't there yet with the reads and trust. A Howitzer arm doesn't mean you will automatically light up a defense through air mail. Drew Brees doesn't have the best arm, nor do Matt Schaub or Kurt Warner for that matter. But they developed and used what they could to advance. Give Henne that chance as well.

As for the air mail victories, Pittsburgh won two recent Super Bowls with smart throws and game management. New Orleans and Indy had very good ground games as well last year so lets not paint it as one sided offense.

Baltimore and the Jets come to mind as playoff teams who didn't rely on deep passing to be successful, and coincidentally both have very young, developing QBs. Seems like a formula that could work for such a team, wouldn't you agree?

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
All the people saying he needs to do this or that NOW provide a prime example of what a crappy fanbase exists in South Florida.

Good thing I'm not in South Florida :)

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ditto. and it's not henne.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:

:clap:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
AOA001 wrote:
played good football

No they didn't. There are lots of areas to improve on.

They lost 34-10 in Buffalo, In November with nice weather. Henne threw 3 PICs. Miami jumped out to an early lead, was running the ball well but just like yesterday the Bills weathered the running game and began making plays on offense. So yes, while I'm certain Sparano agrees with you on the needs improvement, don't undermine how big coming out of Buffalo with a win is.

They lost in Buffalo before because they played bad. They won in Buffalo because they played better, and Buffalo played worse....don't confuse the two for thinking Miami played well. Against a decent team, Miami would get manhandled playing like that.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

How do you know Bills aren't a decent team? Are you basing that on last years record? I understand they're low on the list, but Miami hasn't won there in Buffalo for 6 years, regardless of the team we had.

So I really don't buy it that Buffalo is a bad team, and I don't think the Dolphins did either, thankfully. They came to play a tough and physical game, and won.

I call that good football, and I'll stand by it.

They got a W.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Quote:

They lost in Buffalo before because they played bad. They won in Buffalo because they played better, and Buffalo played worse....don't confuse the two for thinking Miami played well. Against a decent team, Miami would get manhandled playing like that.

Look I don't think anyone on here is saying Miami played like world beaters on Sunday. What we're saying is they won in a place they haven't won in quite some time and you have to go back a decade to find the last time they won a season opening road game. The Bills were obviously amped up. Henne obviously, just like Flacco last night, had a case of the nerves. If you need a list...here are the things that went well.
1. No Turnovers - I stated this as the number one factor going into the game that would determine the outcome. I knew the Bills defenders would be amped up and trying to jar the ball loose. If Miami got carried away on offense early they could have had a repeat of the 4th quarter last year when Henne threw 2 picks and the Bills scored 24 points.
2. Defense - Despite one drive the Dolphins sit atop the NFL in total defense. You can slice this anyway you want but the Bills didn't have trouble moving the football last season. Their problems were run defense and turnovers on offense. Since they really didn't turn the ball over a lot on Sunday that makes Miami's defensive feat even that much better. It was nothing short of stellar outside of 1 play by a dime safety in a prevent.....who obviously forgot the meaning of the word prevent.
3. Running game - Despite 8 and 9 guy fronts both Ricky and Ronnie pounded out some tough yards between the tackles.
4. Pass protection - It was there most of the game outside of a couple of blitzes and a good play by the LDE.

Miami won despite - poor ST's and some key dropped passes.

At the end of the day, you can pitch sour grapes all day but they just won a game they would have normally lost. Furthermore, it was a game they desperately needed to win given the upcoming schedule. :angry:

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

And that's the tip of the iceberg, Rich.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I think the biggest problem with Henne is his ability to process information and make a decision with anticipation.

There were a few plays yesterday in which he was making the right reads a half second too late. This was probably the case with the Marshall underthrow. Henne needs to recognize and process faster so he can make those anticipation throws Pennington is so famous for.

This is something that isn't going to happen overnight. It may not happen this season. No one can predict when the game is going to slow down for a QB.

That and he needs desperately to stop honing in on his target like a laser, letting everyone watching who he will throw to. He stares down receivers like no one I've seen in a while.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
I'm more critical of the offense as a whole, and the coaches who manage it, than I am of Henne. He has a hand-cannon and it just seems like the play-calling works against that. I also don't feel like we fed the stud yesterday either. Ronnie was clearly outperforming Ricky in the ground game, yet he was seemingly pulled. What gives?

We threw one deep ball yesterday. ONE! And it was dropped (it happens). Where is the expanded offense? All of the pieces are in place. Henne has time in the pocket, the run game is pimp, we got our big man outside... where is the deep ball? Why does this question come up EVERY YEAR!?!

My question is, how does Henne "get it" over time when he is being trained dink and dunk? Where is the deep ball?

It was GAME 1. Say it slowly. I T W A S G A M E 1.

Do you expect them to show the entire playbook against a basement dweller like Buffalo in week 1? Especially since at no point were we not in control of the game?

The score was MUCH closer than the game was. We were never in any real danger of losing. We controlled the tempo and the clock.

We will see the deep ball, I'm sure. Just be patient. I know we've been waiting forever for a guy like Marshall, but we must be patient lest we be like Jim when he has Nadia in his room in American Pie.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'M NOT PATIENT!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Yeah we all want to see an Air Sparano come to fruition, but give it some time. In the real world Henne is progressing just fine. Maybe he is being a little cautious as he goes back and forth learning what he can & can't get away with, but there were no picks. I know it's not what we're all hyped about and want to see after getting Marshall, but in good time it looks promising. He'll loosen up as it goes on. I was definitely happy to see he has improved with putting some touch on his passes. If anything, I was so surprised by the defensive play for most of the game. They came out looking hungry.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

:hithead:

Your right, why now. I guess "theres always next year" is the out of state fan motto?

Come on down and spend the money for tickets, gas, parking, food, drinks every week with us and show us how its done....

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:
Sorry if an honest and fair assessment ruffles your feathers.

My feather aren't ruffled, but there was nothing fair about your assessment. Unrealistic is more like it.

Quote:
No need to start making inaccurate accusations though.

Ooooh yeah an accusation... I'm sending the gestapo after you!! :)

Based on what you are saying about Henne, you would have no patience for a Drew Brees who struggled for three seasons before showing any life.

Quote:
I also don't recall ever saying that Henne should be benched or anything silly like that

You said he has to start making these plays NOW if he is going to be the man.

So it is safe to assume by that comment that if he doesn't make the plays NOW, you do not think he will be the man. If you do not think he will be the man, what would you do with him? Leave him as the starter for the next decade?

Well since Im not saying that he needs to be benched nor do i think he needs to be Tom Brady in year two, I guess its not safe to assume. Im merely saying that if he is going to be the answer this team has looked for since Marino, he needs tocontinue to show improvement. Like it or not, fans are going to be impatient. Im not saying I think its fair, but that's the way the NFL is these days. I think we are both in agreement that Henne shows some promise. Im excited for the future but i want to see us continue to improve now; notbe superbowl contenders, but at least be tough and competitive.

Rich, it would appear my predictions about fan impatience have come to fruition already and we are only half way through the season. I don't think the negative reactions are realistic, but I did predict that they would come. We are seeing the impatience of this fanbase come to bear upon our scapegoat Henne.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:30 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Rich, it would appear my predictions about fan impatience have come to fruition already and we are only half way through the season. I don't think the negative reactions are realistic, but I did predict that they would come. We are seeing the impatience of this fanbase come to bear upon our scapegoat Henne

A couple questions. How long do we give Henne? SHouldn't we draft a QB anyway for competition, you never know? Why is it that other young QBs with less experience are winning? I am not a typical south Florida fan by any means, but I do have higher expectations,

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Rich, it would appear my predictions about fan impatience have come to fruition already and we are only half way through the season. I don't think the negative reactions are realistic, but I did predict that they would come. We are seeing the impatience of this fanbase come to bear upon our scapegoat Henne

A couple questions. How long do we give Henne? SHouldn't we draft a QB anyway for competition, you never know? Why is it that other young QBs with less experience are winning? I am not a typical south Florida fan by any means, but I do have higher expectations,

As long as it takes to fulfill the necessary requirements of "experience" as defined by those who endlessly defend him LOL.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:42 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
that other young QBs with less experience are winning?

um they are winning... so they are playing ST, O line running and catching the passes that they are throwing as well right???? Oh and they are playing D as well !!!!

YOU ARE A TYPICAL SOUTH FLORIDA FAN !!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY !!!!! :cry: :cry:

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:
Quote:
that other young QBs with less experience are winning?

um they are winning... so they are playing ST, O line running and catching the passes that they are throwing as well right???? Oh and they are playing D as well !!!!

YOU ARE A TYPICAL SOUTH FLORIDA FAN !!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY !!!!! :cry: :cry:

.......... as you comment atop your throne .....

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:49 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Who's the Browns RB again? You have no idea what kind of fan I am. Again, you can't dispute facts. Henne has more picks than TDs. And yes, the younger QBs are making plays. What was wrong with our ST today? Our defense nutted up in the redzone 3 times today. Yes, they gave up a lot of yrds, but they didn't break. When is the offense going to score? That's right, the D bailed Henne out on the 1st pick, right? We had our shots.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:54 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell.. I will go slow so I don't lose u here....IT IS A TEAM GAME.... THE BROWNS O LINE OPENED HOLES AGAINST THE PATS... Henne has not cost us games this year... he has been mediocre as has our whole team... but you want to single him out...u make statements like the other younger qb's are winning...but you fail to accept it is a team game and its the teams that win and lose... not the QB position!!!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Makchell.. I will go slow so I don't lose u here....IT IS A TEAM GAME.... THE BROWNS O LINE OPENED HOLES AGAINST THE PATS... Henne has not cost us games this year... he has been mediocre as has our whole team... but you want to single him out...u make statements like the other younger qb's are winning...but you fail to accept it is a team game and its the teams that win and lose... not the QB position!!!

Slow down for me? If it wasn't for our defense the game could have been worse. Yes, the ST in the Pats game screwed us but again, Henne threw 2 picks and out D held them to 6 points. I'll slow down for you....the special teams and D don't throw picks, the QB does and he throws more picks than TDs. Talk about me...what's so hard about that? A fact is a fact. If Henne throws TDs and not picks, it would be different. Then it's the D's fault for not stopping the O. Re-check the game, the D bent but didn't break. They bailed Henne's but out on the 1st pick and he didn't lead our team to a score.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

"Typical South Florida Fan" here, just an FYI to the rest of the world, Henne is not costing Miami games. Its as plain as day, maybe its from living elswhere and not having the NFL Ticket or the ability to go to a game that is making these odd observations that Henne had something to do with Ray Rice & the Balto offense taking our team to school yesterday....
Not sure that Henne made those defensive adjustments at half time that gave him all that rest on the bench..

Stop blaming a persons location for stupidity. Obviously by reading threads here there are stupid people world wide.....

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Why can't we block moderators???

FYI, the Browns RB is Peyton Hillis, he is averaging 4.8 ypc. Maybe instead of incessantly bashing Henne you should learn more about football.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2