All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I know, we are all sick of hearing about Drew Brees, so, I post this with the hope that the Dolphins will make good decisions in free agency and in the draft. Brees wanted to play for the Dolphins and Coach Saban wanted to sign him, but our medical staff said that his injured throwing shoulder was too much of a risk.

Pro Football Talk wrote:
Fourteen years ago today, the Saints signed Brees to a free-agent contract. As agent Tom Condon has said, Brees at the time had 15 studs in his shoulder, due to surgery to fix an injury that happened in his last game with the Chargers.

For the Dolphins, that was a problem. Coach Nick Saban wanted Brees, but doctors rejected the 2001 second-rounder from Purdue. (Curiously, those same doctors would instead embrace Daunte Culpepper, who had three torn knee ligaments and for whom the Dolphins had to give up a second-round pick.)

Signing Brees was a calculated risk, and his initial six-year, $60 million deal was structured to give the Saints a chance after the first season to pull the plug. Brees also was a fallback for new coach Sean Payton. The former Dallas offensive coordinator wanted to trade for then-unknown Cowboys backup Tony Romo, whom Payton had helped discover and groom. But Cowboys coach Bill Parcells refused to part with the player who would become the starter during the 2006 season, supplanting Drew Bledsoe.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ago-today/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]