View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sean Smith to play against Vikings.....on ST's 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Sean Smith to play against Vikings.....on ST's
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... FL&id=5184
Quote:
Dolphins CB Sean Smith is expected to play Sunday at Minnesota, though his role is unknown.
Smith lost his starting job to Jason Allen and didn't play a single snap in Sunday's opener. Coach Tony Sparano said that Smith would play this coming Sunday, though not necessarily at cornerback. "I think we'll see Sean get involved in special teams a little bit," Sparano said.

Jason Allen won himself the job for another week. But as soon as there is a slip up and Sean wins Coach's trust back, he'll be put in there again.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Sean Smith to play against Vikings.....on ST's
Honestly this is a great problem to have. I'd like to see both players succeed at the position. Depth is something you can never have too much of. It would be nice if we could see them both on the field at the same time out there with VD.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Phin wrote:
Honestly this is a great problem to have. I'd like to see both players succeed at the position. Depth is something you can never have too much of. It would be nice if we could see them both on the field at the same time out there with VD.

I have a feeling that this could be a Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn thing. Jason Allen had been hanging around, but had basically been given up on, so Smith gets drafted...then all of a sudden Jason Allen has a good season (yet to happen, but on it's way), Sean sits the bench...they move onto Sean when Anderson/Allen want a new deal, and they both end up being awful. Lol.

Nah, not happening to this team;p. I'm with you. Good problem to have, and Sean ends up starting by Week 6 after the bye.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Who ever is playing the best should start.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:55 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

I have a feeling that this could be a Derek Anderson/Brady Quinn thing. Jason Allen had been hanging around, but had basically been given up on, so Smith gets drafted...then all of a sudden Jason Allen has a good season (yet to happen, but on it's way), Sean sits the bench...they move onto Sean when Anderson/Allen want a new deal, and they both end up being awful. Lol.

Nah, not happening to this team;p. I'm with you. Good problem to have, and Sean ends up starting by Week 6 after the bye.

Has Sean decided he wanted to come up and hit somebody? Has he shown he will not get down on himself mentally yet when he get's beat?

As long as Jason Allen plays well and those questions exist, Sean will provide depth at the CB position.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sean didn't do much last year other than regress. It doesn't surprise me that he lost his job.

It's too early to see if it's because J Allen has finally "got it", or if Smith has regressed and fallen below him. We'll find that out soon enough, though with Smith not seeing even a single play points to something being very wrong with his game right now.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Personally the times Allen has been in the game he's held his own even dating back to his 2nd year. He's going to lose a few battles and people on here will be calling for Smith. Allen will hold his own and he'll catch his share of INTs because despite that awful drop he has decent ball skills. I've only been saying this for 3 years. :grin:

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've been calling for Allen to get some playing time since he was drafted. I think the bouncing back and forth and the coaching changes have all hurt this guy tremendously.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Prediction: Allen will play out the remainder of the year as a starter barring any injuries. But he hasn't established a history of success to be able to ask for a huge contract to come back.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rmelendez wrote:
Prediction: Allen will play out the remainder of the year as a starter barring any injuries. But he hasn't established a history of success to be able to ask for a huge contract to come back.

No. But if he plays well all season, the FO will show him loyalty and give him a good, fair contract.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AmericAdam wrote:
Who ever is playing the best should start.

I do understand that concept, but the coach seems to go with the "Whoever practices the best will start" motto, after all its hard to assess a guys game play if he is not in the game.

I like having Allen out there, he has the fire lit so hopefully he responds well, I never had a problem with him, I think the changes have held him up more than anything, he was Sabans pet project and has seen every transition since that year.. If he cant hit on any of the D coords he has played for he just doesnt have it I would guess........

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I agree, great problem to have here....Jason Allen's light has finally been turned on. I guess it was the stability of a regime for 3 years that has made him more comfortable. As far as Smith goes, I think it is safe to say that he is more physically gifted than JA, and that should start to show at some point this season. Maybe he just needs some time to get his mojo back..... Pretty sure that last season he had a great game against Randy Moss. Lets see if the Week 4 matchup gives him a chance to get on the field and show what he did last year is still there. Cheering for Smith here, that way JA can be on the field as a nickel guy, he seems to be the only one of the three that can actually play there.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:yay: :yay:

Brian Biggane: Twitter wrote:
CB Sean Smith was working as nickel back with second-teamers. Could get a look there ahead of Nolan Carroll or Benny Sapp.

http://twitter.com/bbiggane

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]