View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What is wrong with KR/PR Clifton Smith? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post What is wrong with KR/PR Clifton Smith?
Quote:
Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown has seen enough messing around from return man Clifton Smith. He wants results.

"He'd better run one back," Brown said in the locker room Friday. Smith, signed about 10 days ago, laughed at the declaration.

"He said I've been here I've been here long enough so it's about that time," Smith said.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano thinks Smith, a 2008 Pro Bowl selection for Tampa Bay, needs better blocking on his returns and more familiarity with his blockers to have a chance at success Sunday at Minnesota.

"That's an area that has to be improved right now," Sparano said. "We have to block for this guy."

That didn't happen in the opener at Buffalo. Smith, who replaced running back Patrick Cobbs as kickoff returner and wide receiver Davone Bess as punt returner, had one kickoff return for 15 yards in last week's 15-10 victory at Buffalo and two punt returns for nine yards.

The Dolphins never started a drive in Buffalo territory last week despite receiving the ball seven times on punts and four times on kickoffs. That's partially because Smith isn't in sync with his blockers.

"Getting used to the people in front of you (on returns) is no different really than a running back with a new offensive line," Sparano said. "The downside to this is you can't turn around and hand this guy the ball 20 times to speed the process up."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: What is wrong with KR/PR Clifton Smith?
He was with the team for 3 days before Buffalo. It's going to take a little bit of time. I was actually surprised to see him return punts.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think this is also a plus to keep Bess and Cobbs focused on their offensive duties. Just a nice little side effect that will help, I think.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:17 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
He was with the team for 3 days before Buffalo. It's going to take a little bit of time. I was actually surprised to see him return punts.

If Ronnie said its time to run one back then its time.... We need to listen to Ronnie :fart:

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]