All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:32 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A lot of positives came from the 2020 NFL Draft and Grier did a nice job as you cannot fix all the holes on a team in one draft, but EVERYONE was thinking RB with their 3rd first round pick, but Grier really liked Igbinoghene and didn't think he'd be sitting there for the Dolphins with their next pick. I cannot imagine how well this team would have looked with Edwards-Helaire, Swift, or Jonathan Taylor. The knock on Jonathan Taylor is that he sometimes loses the football.

Hal Habib (Palm Beach Post) wrote:
Biggest regret - GM Chris Grier

Rather than solve their need at running back in the draft, Grier chose to trade for Matt Breida and sign Jordan Howard in free agency. Neither has been a force. Hindsight never made a drafting miscalculation, true, but it must be pointed out: When CB Noah Igbinoghene was taken 30th overall, for example, the running backs on the board included Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who has 586 yards for the Chiefs; D’Andre Swift, who has 457 yards from scrimmage for the Lions; and Jonathan Taylor, who has 631 yards from scrimmage for the Colts.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 268931002/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:03 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

They could have just invited James Robinson to camp, and not wasted any draft picks at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Not impressed with Swift and Taylor is falling out of favor in Indy. Our biggest issue is the line.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

CEH is good because he's in KC, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I agree with the dissenters here. I don't think any of these rookie backs are lighting the world on fire.

Swift has 70 carries in 9 games. Taylor's carries have been steadily decreasing due to declining performance. Edwards-Helaire's stats are deceiving because he's had 2 huge games and the rest have been meh.

This isn't to say these guys won't be awesome some day, but I'm not losing sleep over Miami passing on them. I liked what I saw from Ahmed yesterday and strengthening the OL will only help him or whomever Miami decides to use as the lead back going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:45 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I liked Ahmed too and there seemed to be a few holes for him to run through too. Good running or did the Phin s face a week run d or is the line possibly improving a bit? Combination?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jgod1 wrote:
They could have just invited James Robinson to camp, and not wasted any draft picks at all.

Was surprised they did not go after him, considering the need.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Jonathan Taylor 3.8 ypc

D'Andre Swift 331 rushing yards

Clyde Edwards-Helaire plays with the best QB in the NFL

I don't see how any of them were MUST HAVE RBs....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:40 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I did want us to take one in the 2nd round, but we passed and that's that.
I hope we take one in the first 3 rounds this coming draft, along with LB and WR.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I agree with the dissenters here. I don't think any of these rookie backs are lighting the world on fire.

Swift has 70 carries in 9 games. Taylor's carries have been steadily decreasing due to declining performance. Edwards-Helaire's stats are deceiving because he's had 2 huge games and the rest have been meh.

This isn't to say these guys won't be awesome some day, but I'm not losing sleep over Miami passing on them. I liked what I saw from Ahmed yesterday and strengthening the OL will only help him or whomever Miami decides to use as the lead back going forward.

RBs tend to explode the fastest coming out of college, right? It seems like backs can make a name for themselves quicker than most positions. It’s nowhere near as complicated as playing QB...just give a light read of the defense, hit the hole & run. So I’d say it’s a little red flag to see those rookie RBs underwhelming as much as they have up until mid November.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:55 am 

RB is almost purely an instinct position. You either have it or you don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
I did want us to take one in the 2nd round, but we passed and that's that.
I hope we take one in the first 3 rounds this coming draft, along with LB and WR.

I know the big name is Travis Etienne but analyst Tony Pauline loves Najee Harris.

I think a Day 2 running back is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Jonathan Taylor 3.8 ypc

D'Andre Swift 331 rushing yards

Clyde Edwards-Helaire plays with the best QB in the NFL

I don't see how any of them were MUST HAVE RBs....

Welll....Taylor does also have 22 rec for 203 yds on 23 targets. I think he is a victim of an O line that is slipping this year. He is probably better used as an all purpose back and not as a battering ram, D’andre Swift is averaging 4.7 ypc and 31 rec for 275 yds....good numbers...so he ilooks like a victim of scheme/coaching.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm not a huge fan of either Harris or Etienne. They'll probably be priced too high for their actual value. I think both have highly inflated numbers due to playing to vacant boxes because of stud QB's.

Two guys that are intriguing that I've started to look at a little, Kenneth Gainwell from Memphis, and Mohamed Ibrahim from Minnesota. Both have NFL skill sets and currently are projected as Round 3-5 guys.

Phinished unearthed Salvon Ahmed last year. I'm curious to see who he likes so far.

Jarret Patterson from Buffalo would be a late rounder to watch. Built and runs like James Robinson.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:36 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jgod1 wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of either Harris or Etienne. They'll probably be priced too high for their actual value. I think both have highly inflated numbers due to playing to vacant boxes because of stud QB's.

Two guys that are intriguing that I've started to look at a little, Kenneth Gainwell from Memphis, and Mohamed Ibrahim from Minnesota. Both have NFL skill sets and currently are projected as Round 3-5 guys.

Phinished unearthed Salvon Ahmed last year. I'm curious to see who he likes so far.

Jarret Patterson from Buffalo would be a late rounder to watch. Built and runs like James Robinson.

I happened to watch Washington games to see Jacob Eason play and ended up impressed by what I saw from Ahmed. Good speed and vision. He was so impressive, so I was shocked that scouts didn’t rate him highly. Must be stuff off the field or in interviews that made him a question mark.

This year, I have not watched much college ball....except the Sooners, because family members are hooked on the Okies. Rhamondre Stevenson is a guy to watch from OU. Fast, elusive and lots of YPC. Problem is, the backs at OU split the load...still Stevenson is pretty exciting to watch. He has done quite well after returning from suspension....

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]