All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Mixing up who was coming in on a blitz from a pile of bodies along the OL is the reason why Justin Herbert had his least effective game as a starting QB. The media and fans are generating buzz for a name for the defense, but we all know that this unit hasn't done anything deserving of a name yet. But, to think right now that "The Amoeba Defense" really isn't inspiring to be called a unicellar organism, but amoeba is the correct name for it as this defense has the ability to alter its shape during a play. Science talk in football is interesting.

Joe Schad (Palm Beach Post) wrote:
• Dolphins' amoeba, or Viking defense, is effective. The Dolphins have a package they like to use on third down, where seven or so players wander around the line of scrimmage. There are typically a multitude of defensive backs. And the idea, of course, is that nobody knows who is blitzing and who is dropping into coverage. As smart as Justin Herbert is (dissecting frogs in his backyard as a kid and whatnot) he's still a rookie. And so, yes, it worked.

Herbert was not as effective against the pressure as he had been earlier in the season. At times, the Dolphins tapped seldom-used safeties Kavon Frazier and Clayton Fejedelem to help create some chaos, as they frenzied around the line along with rookie safety Brandon Jones like kids awaiting delivery of a PlayStation 5.

This is the formation that was used when Xavien Howard made the most important play of the game, an interception in the fourth quarter, with the team leading only 20-14. Howard, in zone coverage, baited rookie Justin Herbert into a poor decision.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

It strikes me that playing in this scheme must be a lot of fun for the players. On any given play you might get to go get the QB, even if you're a backup db and special teams player.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
It strikes me that playing in this scheme must be a lot of fun for the players. On any given play you might get to go get the QB, even if you're a backup db and special teams player.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's fun when it's working, eh?

:))

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think it is vulnerable to a team willing and able to commit to the running game. That will force the coaches to shift out of it....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

it's really crazy to consider, in this day and age of NFL advanced scouting, film breakdown, scout teams, analytics and teams with upwards of 18 assistant coaches preparing for a game supposedly working 20 hours a day doing it that a defense, name it what you will, would result in a veteran player of the caliber of Keenan Allen admitting publicly that the SD offense was confused for an entire game (!!), and had as a result, to run the ball exclusively to avoid what he called catastrophic plays.

Either that talks exclusively of a SD coaching staff so ill prepared that a QB who had been averaging over 300 a game was made a non factor or what this guy Flores had done is for the ages. I doubt the latter, but it's sure a 180 degree turnaround for how this up to now lowly, irrelevant franchise has rocketed to NFL national prominence.

And I admit, while the temptation is to get sucked into that vortex of credibility I recollect how the Wild Cat beat an unexpecting NE team way back when, only to be soon figured out. But until that happens here, I'll ride it and see where it takes us.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chargers-w ... 58018.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Carreramia, do you remember what Sean McVay's team looked like in the first half of the Super Bowl?

Quite similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Of course I remember, as it was again reprised a few weeks ago again vs the Rams, but it is still mindblowing to consider such dominance the rule in today's game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

carreramia wrote:
Of course I remember, as it was again reprised a few weeks ago again vs the Rams, but it is still mindblowing to consider such dominance the rule in today's game.

Honestly, it is not that hard to understand. When you have two top caliber corners covering those wideouts for just an extra second, one of those blitzers is bound to get thru.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Check this out. Seriously. Who is blitzing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Honestly, it is not that hard to understand. When you have two top caliber corners covering those wideouts for just an extra second, one of those blitzers is bound to get thru.

Ha! Sarcasm isn’t supposed to be so obvious but you still feel the itch, so.....on the face of it that was an oversimplification by you and weak in trying to cover your tracks. But good job Rich!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Ha! Sarcasm isn’t supposed to be so obvious but you still feel the itch, so.....on the face of it that was an oversimplification by you and weak in trying to cover your tracks. But good job Rich!

And... here... we... go... ... :popcorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm 

carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

You've completely lost me here. :speechless

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

You’ve been lost, and you have found. Or something like that....

Sorry, I can’t explain everything to you every time...C’mon Man!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:27 pm 

carreramia wrote:
You’ve been lost, and you have found. Or something like that....

Sorry, I can’t explain everything to you every time...C’mon Man!

Well, I mean... since I wasn't being sarcastic or covering my tracks, you either completely misinterpreted my tone or you're on some really good crap.

I'm actually OK with either one, but hoping for the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

no problem....and medical marijuana is the only thing in the last 1,000 years that was voted on by actual people, like you and me, and actually works!

.....which I don’t actually know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm 

carreramia wrote:
no problem....and medical marijuana is the only thing in the last 1,000 years that was voted on by actual people, like you and me, and actually works!

.....which I don’t actually know.

You must have forgotten...

... damned side effects....

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]