All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PBP's Joe Schad actually goes into good detail on why he listed each decision, so, be sure to follow the url to see his thoughts. Would you replace anyone on his top 10?

Joe Schad (Palm Beach Post) wrote:
1. Signing Emmanuel Ogbah.
2. Drafting Tua Tagovailoa.
3. Flores turning over the coaching staff.
4. Drafting Austin Jackson.
5. Signing Byron Jones.
6. Drafting Solomon Kindley.
7. Signing Shaq Lawson.
8. Signing Ereck Flowers and Ted Karras
9. Sneaky-smart trade for Adam Shaheen and sneaky-smart practice squad signing of Salvon Ahmed.
10. Signing Kyle Van Noy.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/spo ... 340117002/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think its great we can do a Top 10 list instead of just a Top 2 list with a couple of undrafted rookie signings listed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:31 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Of course we will never know, but I don't think we needed to take Austin Jackson at #18. I think he would have fallen to us with our third pick. We needed receivers and linebackers, too.
So, Patrick Queen or Justin Jefferson at #18 and then Austin Jackson at #25 would have been much better. I complained about it at the time, too, so this isn't just hindsight. In general, we drafted several players far ahead of where most mocks had them going. But, mocks can be wrong, and I do acknowledge that it is more important that the guys you draft play well than it is that you select them at their optimal value spot in the draft.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:33 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
but I don't think we needed to take Austin Jackson at #18.

If you had been running the draft and you gambled and missed on bringing in an offensive tackle in the 1st rd, a sure fire 10 yr starter, you would be sent packing and wind up teaching school somewhere....oh wait....hmmm.

Regarding that list, I would make Byron Jones the clear no. 1 as he and Howard give us the best pair of corners in the history of the league thus allowing Flores to play all those games up front.

Then I would raise the value of Flowers and Karras to no. 3 behind Tua. Everyone and their brothers know offensive line has been a disaster here for so long it needed this kind of attention both in FA and the draft, and I think we can say mission accomplished. I just wish they would leave all three rooks in there at the same time. Their continued development along with the promise shown by Tua signifies good times ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:57 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I'm good with letting Hunt come in for spot duty until he grows into the job. Davis is solid and helps in a lot of ways other than just his play. It's nice to feel like OL is NOT a huge, glaring area of desperate need for a change.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

carreramia wrote:
Regarding that list, I would make Byron Jones the clear no. 1 as he and Howard give us the best pair of corners in the history of the league thus allowing Flores to play all those games up front.

I would make the Byron Jones acquisition no. 1 as well.

Without two corners playing at a high level, this defense simply doesn't work.

See the Cardinals game vs the Rams and Chargers games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I'm going to take this in a different direction with a crazy thought...

What if the brass really likes this currently constructed team and does not intend to make major moves next year? I can see competition being brought in and BPA with each draft pick, but what if they really like who they have and intend to continue their development? This is the first time in I don't know how long these thoughts are crossing through my head?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:59 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:

What if the brass really likes this currently constructed team and does not intend to make major moves next year? I can see competition being brought in and BPA with each draft pick, but what if they really like who they have and intend to continue their development? This is the first time in I don't know how long these thoughts are crossing through my head?

Well what do you do with four draft picks in the first two rounds if you don't plan on making major moves?

Here is a thought. It is generally understood that a pick in round n of the current year is worth a pick in round (n-1) in the next year. (I don't agree with this, but that is effectively how it plays out in trades.) I don't understand why teams don't continually trade away picks for future picks. It would hurt in the current year (though not so much in the scenario you describe), but the long term reward would pay off. Trade a 1st round pick for a 1 and 3 next year. Next year trade the 3 for a 2 the following year. Etc. Teams seldom think more than a year ahead, it seems. GMs are trying to keep their jobs, as are coaches, so I can understand the hesitancy to give up short-term gain for future rewards of greater value. Just like that marshmallow experiment!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
Quote:
but I don't think we needed to take Austin Jackson at #18.

If you had been running the draft and you gambled and missed on bringing in an offensive tackle in the 1st rd, a sure fire 10 yr starter, you would be sent packing and wind up teaching school somewhere....oh wait....hmmm.

I tend to agree with this. You'd better have balls of gold so that you can sell them to make your rent if you roll the dice and you did not address the LT position with a bonafide starter. I believe I read somewhere that the Dolphins were getting the impression that teams below them were interested in him.

Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

I would make the Byron Jones acquisition no. 1 as well. Without two corners playing at a high level, this defense simply doesn't work. See the Cardinals game vs the Rams and Chargers games.

That's a real tough one, because Ogbah is the reason why quarterbacks have to get rid of the ball quickly. If he isn't making a play he is opening up a window for someone else. On the other hand, Byron Jones blankets receivers and throwing the ball is difficult for quarterbacks when teamed up with Xavien Howard. He excels both in man coverage and zone coverage which gives Flores and Boyer a lot of flexibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 am 

jammer wrote:

I think we have a good core, but we still have some major upgrading to do. WR, RB, and LB top my list, though not necessarily in that order. If this administration has shown us anything it's that they're not afraid to shake things up or go against the prevailing opinions, so I do expect some surprises.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
I think we have a good core, but we still have some major upgrading to do. WR, RB, and LB top my list, though not necessarily in that order. If this administration has shown us anything it's that they're not afraid to shake things up or go against the prevailing opinions, so I do expect some surprises.

I actually like the LB group.

After yesterday's performance maybe I should retract and say it is time to bring competition to the trenches

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 am 

Big Dave wrote:
That's a real tough one, because Ogbah is the reason why quarterbacks have to get rid of the ball quickly. If he isn't making a play he is opening up a window for someone else. On the other hand, Byron Jones blankets receivers and throwing the ball is difficult for quarterbacks when teamed up with Xavien Howard. He excels both in man coverage and zone coverage which gives Flores and Boyer a lot of flexibility.

The amoeba defense works primarily because QBs know significant pressure is coming and they can't get rid of the ball quickly because of tight coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:06 am 

jammer wrote:
k-dash wrote:

I actually like the LB group.

After yesterday's performance maybe I should retract and say it is time to bring competition to the trenches

I like the guys we have. I just think we have a bunch of good players but nobody playing at an elite level.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

This team needs a lot more talent at O and D line, as well as linebacker and running back. We also need another WR who we can count on to move the chains and be able to survive NFL hits for a season. The Phins can not run the ball well and they can not stop the run. The linebackers make plays at times, but we still do not have a guy on that squad that puts the fear of God in opposing game plans. I like Ahmed, but we certainly need a bruiser back there to get tough yards...an instinctive runner. I like Rhamondre Stevenson or Najee Harris so far....

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]