All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The way his leg was hit it looks bad. He was screaming in agony and they had to cart him off the field. A physical therapist thinks it may be a "multi-ligament tear in Joe Burrows left knee."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:47 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Two different rebuilding jobs between the Dolphins and Bengals. The Dolphins built an OL to protect Tua, but the Bengals did not make it a priority for Burrows. And, until his injury, he'd thrown more passes than any rookie in NFL history through the first 9 games of the season.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Hate to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Two different rebuilding jobs between the Dolphins and Bengals. The Dolphins built an OL to protect Tua, but the Bengals did not make it a priority for Burrows. And, until his injury, he'd thrown more passes than any rookie in NFL history through the first 9 games of the season.

We built an O line? Tua got lit up today by a 3-6 team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phinished wrote:

How much of that today was on the o-line or on the confusion forced on Tua by their defense? Him holding on to the ball for much too long, with either no one to throw it to or no idea where to throw it resulted in most of those sacks and pressures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

carreramia wrote:
Phinished wrote:

How much of that today was on the o-line or on the confusion forced on Tua by their defense? Him holding on to the ball for much too long, with either no one to throw it to or no idea where to throw it resulted in most of those sacks and pressures.

There were plenty of plays where pass rushers were getting in unblocked or hardly blocked on their way to the QB. Ereck Flowers and Jesse Davis in particular were pretty bad in pass pro. The injury to Solomon Kindley hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

There were plenty of plays where pass rushers were getting in unblocked or hardly blocked on their way to the QB. Ereck Flowers and Jesse Davis in particular were pretty bad in pass pro. The injury to Solomon Kindley hurt.

Sure, we could break down the 40 odd drop backs and are likely to find a few (far from plenty) where the blocker was beaten badly but we’ll find more (plenty) where Tua was standing there looking, looking and ultimately no line can block a rush for ever. We’ve talked here in previous weeks, even the winning ones, how our WRs don’t get separation, more often not getting open at all. I think that problem is a lot bigger than any fault of a rookie or two on the o-line.

It’s simple. Tua doesn’t want to force the ball, risking TOs, so he holds on to the ball far too long waiting for this bunch to get open. Add Denver’s preparation that smothered the kid with mis-reads and you have the sacks and pressures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 am 

carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:

Sure, we could break down the 40 odd drop backs and are likely to find a few (far from plenty) where the blocker was beaten badly but we’ll find more (plenty) where Tua was standing there looking, looking and ultimately no line can block a rush for ever. We’ve talked here in previous weeks, even the winning ones, how our WRs don’t get separation, more often not getting open at all. I think that problem is a lot bigger than any fault of a rookie or two on the o-line.

It’s simple. Tua doesn’t want to force the ball, risking TOs, so he holds on to the ball far too long waiting for this bunch to get open. Add Denver’s preparation that smothered the kid with mis-reads and you have the sacks and pressures.

Two of the sacks were a direct result of offensive linemen whiffing on blocks or completely missing blocks. In fact, the commentators highlighted how the Broncos were running simple stunts to confuse the Dolphins offensive line. This created several instances where a pass rusher was actually getting into the backfield unblocked. The Broncos were able to get pressure with 4. So let's not try to downplay the issues upfront.

The other issue, wide receivers not creating separation, is completely valid. One thing I do not have a concern with from Tua is his ability to scan through a defense and find the open guy. But with these receivers, I agree there isn't always going to be an open guy. Fitz made a living on contested throws to DeVante Parker. Tua is an anticipation throw guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:

Tua had no touch. His deep ball was going 8 yards too far consistently. So he tried to change the plan of chucking it up, to waiting for routes to develop, and it just went poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 pm 

What I don't understand is why we're not running slants and crossing patterns to take advantage of his accuracy and anticipation. Also, where was the RPO stuff? I don't remember seeing many designed rollouts. Instead we left him sitting in the constantly crumbling pocket. I put all of that on Gailey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:
What I don't understand is why we're not running slants and crossing patterns to take advantage of his accuracy and anticipation. Also, where was the RPO stuff? I don't remember seeing many designed rollouts. Instead we left him sitting in the constantly crumbling pocket. I put all of that on Gailey.

Ding, ding, ding....yes, that was obvious to everyone and scary that the coach did not think of it. Also, once again, the Dolphins ran very few plays designed to beat the rush. The Dolphins have long forgotten how to execute screen passes and draw plays. I think I saw one draw play and it went comically bad. Tua had Ahmed back there with him and when he saw the rushers coming he panicked and slammed that ball into Ahmed’s gut early and hard as if to say....hit him, hit him, don’t hurt me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:07 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:yay:

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]