Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rookie wall?

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
According to Pro Football Focus, Jackson relinquished nine quarterback pressures in 49 pass blocking opportunities — two sacks and seven hurries.

Per PFF, Kindley allowed two sacks in 19 pass blocking opportunities before leaving for good in the second half with that foot injury.

Hunt, who entered at right tackle when Kindley left for good, permitted two pressures in 30 pass blocking chances.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:43 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I would like to know how PFF rates the WRs job, ie., did they win separation vs their DBs, did they adjust and try to give their QB an open target when the play broke down, or did they just stand around yappin' their typical trash with the DB? And what about the QB, ie. holding on to the ball, telegraphing where he was going with the ball eyeing just one receiver, etc. And PFF may not have a rating system for it but the play calling and absolute lack of visible adjustments by our OC would score sucky low if they had one. So, by my math when I add the WRs invisible act, QB frozen in place most of the time, and the miserable help from the coaches, the resulting score by the o-line is straight A’s by comparison. Ok, ok, on a curve.

It takes two to tango as the saying goes. If the offense don’t work it ain’t all on one guy or one unit.

Expectations for this o-line, put together for the first time back during this non existent off-season should not be any more demanding than that placed on Tua or any other unit. They are developing just as much as Tua is with 3 rookies in there hopefully this week. Playing Davis is a waste of time as it would be playing Fitz. Kindley may be injured but other than that just play all 3 rooks, that’s the future o-line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:49 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

well, there it is....and I fully get it, being like Gailey older than Methuselah we are both slow to react. Is he the right choice for Tua? For our challenged receivers? I don’t know but long term Flores will have to do better....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... 92155.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
well, there it is....and I fully get it, being like Gailey older than Methuselah we are both slow to react. Is he the right choice for Tua? For our challenged receivers? I don’t know but long term Flores will have to do better....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... 92155.html

Yep. I hear you, Carreramia. I see that Gailey's playcalling has become vanilla with the change to Tua as he doesn't want to give the rookie too much, but the opportunities to throw it downfield are there if Tua wants to take it. Tua isn't a gunslinger as Fitzpatrick is as we saw with Fitzpatrick careless throw into the end zone with a minute still on the clock at the end of the game.

Even defensively it appeared that our coaches were slow to react to their change in blocking scheme. The Broncos ran down our throats all game long doing what they wanted: 3rd and short opportunities which negated our option of using the "amoeba" defense.

Adam Beasley (Miami Herald) wrote:
Behind the scenes, there was concern and frustration among some Dolphins players about how Gailey was slow to react to Denver’s dominance at the line of scrimmage. A common complaint: Why didn’t the Dolphins open it up sooner when it was clear the offensive line was in for a long day?

“We felt like we had to change from the original thought process and go to a little bit more spread-out stuff, and that’s what we ended up doing to move the ball a little bit more,” Gailey said. “A little bit more play-action-type stuff. We were able to get a few things in there. The problem is consistency. We’ve got to be able to move the ball with consistency. We’ve got to be able to run it better, we’ve got to be able to see what we’re getting defensively and throw the ball effectively as well. We’ve got to be able to adjust. That’s my job.”

Gailey’s job has gotten more difficult since the Dolphins’ quarterback switch. Fitzpatrick might be better-suited for an offense that at times struggles to stay on schedule, due to protection and separation issues.

The Dolphins’ yards, points per drive, passing and running efficiency all have gone down when Tagovailoa is in the game.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
I would like to know how PFF rates the WRs job, ie., did they win separation vs their DBs, did they adjust and try to give their QB an open target when the play broke down, or did they just stand around yappin' their typical trash with the DB?

I'm not going to trash Gailey as he's been around a long time, but he really blew it with this play design. Our receivers have trouble gaining separation and a play like this doesn't help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

carreramia wrote:
I would like to know how PFF rates the WRs job, ie., did they win separation vs their DBs, did they adjust and try to give their QB an open target when the play broke down, or did they just stand around yappin' their typical trash with the DB? And what about the QB, ie. holding on to the ball, telegraphing where he was going with the ball eyeing just one receiver, etc. And PFF may not have a rating system for it but the play calling and absolute lack of visible adjustments by our OC would score sucky low if they had one. So, by my math when I add the WRs invisible act, QB frozen in place most of the time, and the miserable help from the coaches, the resulting score by the o-line is straight A’s by comparison. Ok, ok, on a curve.

It takes two to tango as the saying goes. If the offense don’t work it ain’t all on one guy or one unit.

Expectations for this o-line, put together for the first time back during this non existent off-season should not be any more demanding than that placed on Tua or any other unit. They are developing just as much as Tua is with 3 rookies in there hopefully this week. Playing Davis is a waste of time as it would be playing Fitz. Kindley may be injured but other than that just play all 3 rooks, that’s the future o-line.

All valid points, but the video evidence against the Broncos shows us one clear thing. The Dolphins offensive line was often confused by the simple stunts the Broncos were running and were giving up pressure quickly on several plays (over 40% according to some statistical analysis).

One other thing that is undeniable because we have seen it all season is that this offensive line is inconsistent in run blocking.

Yes, the rooks need to develop, and pass blocking is something that takes time to develop because it requires consistent technique, especially at the tackle position. But, in my opinion, run blocking is usually something rookies show as an ability early on. And this group isn't really showing it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 am 

Big Dave wrote:
carreramia wrote:
I would like to know how PFF rates the WRs job, ie., did they win separation vs their DBs, did they adjust and try to give their QB an open target when the play broke down, or did they just stand around yappin' their typical trash with the DB?

I'm not going to trash Gailey as he's been around a long time, but he really blew it with this play design. Our receivers have trouble gaining separation and a play like this doesn't help.

Bill Lazor is back???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
Bill Lazor is back???

I was going with Gase but who am I split hairs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The good news is their are great options for both OL and DL in Rounds 1 and 2 of the draft.

The bad news is it means you avoid some new weapons for Tua.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ross needs to buy a beach house for Dante Scarnecchia and move him down to South Beach pronto.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:38 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

One other thing that is undeniable because we have seen it all season is that this offensive line is inconsistent in run blocking.

Yes, the rooks need to develop, and pass blocking is something that takes time to develop because it requires consistent technique, especially at the tackle position. But, in my opinion, run blocking is usually something rookies show as an ability early on. And this group isn't really showing it.

Another undeniable factoid, of all the NFL units on both sides of the ball, offensive line is the most challenged unit in finding cohesion and a good fit. It takes five guys on every play, plus TEs, to make it work and it ain't gonna happen in year 1, or even year 2, but one thing for sure this unit has a lot more going for it in raw talent than the RB position, WRs and perhaps even the guy crafting the game plans and play calling, so yes it will take time. And on top of that, we have a guy, another rookie, driving the bus that unfortunately for Fin Fan hopes played this past week like he has no clue, making everyone else look bad to awful. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about the o-line until we see matching pieces added around them with hopefully a faster transition by Tua, and it would be a rush to judgement for this franchise to spend a precious day 1 or day 2 pick on the o-line with the many holes at WR, RB, LB and DL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

While I'd like to see us get a good FA WR like Chris Godwin, Juju Smith-Schuster, or someone of that ilk, I am trying to think of when the last time a high-priced FA WR actually played up to their contract.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]