View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 I hate the wildcat 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post I hate the wildcat
Sorry guys, but the O is moving the ball and the wildcat comes it. Now, we are punting. Annoying....wildcat means no chance for a pass. Stupid.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:03 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: I hate the wildcat
I started to get a little tired of seeing it, but it did help us to our only touchdown. With that being said, why did we abandon it? It was working early in the game.

Last edited by hab321 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I was tired of it last year. Use conventional means, like the rest of the NFL. The D's have fingered it out.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:56 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I agree with Hab....Henning seems to abandon anything that is working. Deep throw to Marshall...let's not try that again. Wildcat bashing them to the left....let's not keep doing that...its way too successful. Henne marching the team down the field using a mixture of run-pass...let's stop that and bring in the wildcat. I just don't get this guy.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

2011 - David Lee O Coord, Chad P QB Coach....

Problem fixed....

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:03 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Don't think we ran much WildCat today.. We saw the direct snap. The Wild-Cat has Ricky streaking towards Ronnie pre-snap. Two different things all together.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:15 pm

The wildcat has the LG or LT on the right side of the formation. I did see one of Henning's famous spread offenses with a direct snap but the first drive was all wild cat.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:43 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

NFLJunkie wrote:
The wildcat has the LG or LT on the right side of the formation. I did see one of Henning's famous spread offenses with a direct snap but the first drive was all wild cat.

No. You are incorrect. The wild cat is basically the single wing. Ricky must streak pre-snap towards Ronnie. The line has nothing to do with it. That's just usually part of it and is called an unbalanced line. If there is no streaking.. there is no wild cat. It's just a direct snap.

Quote:
The wildcat is an offensive formation rather than an overall offensive philosophy or 'offense' (for example, a spread-option offense might use the wildcat formation to keep the defense guessing, or a West Coast offense may use the power-I formation to threaten a powerful run attack). When the wildcat formation is deployed, it uses the same pre-snap motion coming across the formation on every play and every play initially looks like a sweep behind zone blocking.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

10acjed wrote:
2011 - David Lee O Coord, Chad P QB Coach....

Problem fixed....

LOL -- I so hope that this happens

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 am

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Maybe in some variations. But in the variation used by Miami against NE to unveil it, it was the original. As a matter of fact the formation moved Long over to the right side of the formation leaving the G and TE to block the weak side.

Motion is just a part of the wildcat but its not truly a wildcat formation unless you employ the unbalanced line.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... cat-works/

And here is a good youtube of Miami with the unbalanced line

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The point is.. you can have an unbalanced line.. but, without someone streaking towards the "QB" then it's not the wildcat. It's just a direct-snap with an unbalanced line.

The Wild-Cat as we modernized it is defined as I stated above. Which we did NOT do a lot of in the game against Minnesota. We were doing direct snaps. BTW. Direct snaps have been much more prevalent in the league.. long before we revolutionized the WildCat against New England.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:40 pm

hypocritex wrote:
The point is.. you can have an unbalanced line.. but, without someone streaking towards the "QB" then it's not the wildcat. It's just a direct-snap with an unbalanced line.

The Wild-Cat as we modernized it is defined as I stated above. Which we did NOT do a lot of in the game against Minnesota. We were doing direct snaps. BTW. Direct snaps have been much more prevalent in the league.. long before we revolutionized the WildCat against New England.

Sorry but the formation makes the offense...not motion. Motion is a part of the offense...and that's the point. The shotgun is the shotgun no matter who is in motion. The I formation is the I formation because of how the backs line up, not who is streaking across the field in motion. Ditto for the wildcat. If the line isn't unbalanced, that formation is usually called the spread offense.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Here's the main problem....We are moving the ball well with a mix of run and pass. The defense is on it's heels. Here come the wildcat...The d knows it's a run and we run it twice. Now it's 3rd and 12. Now they know it's a pass. So let's get this straight. We have a conservative game plan, but then the coaching staff is asking Henne to convert 3rd and long. It doesn't make any sense.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:41 am

Mak,
I agree. Then you have the case where the wildcat got Miami in position to score its first TD last week. However it totally killed momentum on that 2nd one. My problem is they had some success running weakside and then stopped doing it. Henning totally out-thinks himself on more than one occasion. 1 for 1 on deep passes...let's not call that again.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]