View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 How long before BMarsh goes off? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post How long before BMarsh goes off?
Right now, he's containing himself. Yesterday when Ricky fumbled the Vikings had 9 guys within a yard of the LOS. BMarsh was in man coverage out in the flat. We run Ricky up the gut. Miami has to have a system that allows Henne to check out of that run with some kind of quick hitter to Marshall to see if he can make a play. How many tackles has he busted this year already. He breaks 1 tackle and theres nothing but a deep safety between him and 6. My money, as well as Hennings, should be on BMarsh to win that battle.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: How long before BMarsh goes off?
Henne started 4 years in Michigan and has a full season (dang near) under his belt in the NFL. You know he had "check" privileges in Michigan. What's the problem with giving him the offense? Seems more puppet than general.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think Henne just needs to start changing the plays on his own. Screw having permission. I remember several times I saw Manning in his early years get into it with the coach or offensive coordinator over changing plays in the huddle or at the line. He just did it, he didn't ask, he knew what was coming and took the initiative. What are they going to do about it? He needs to make this his teem, take charge of that offense and lead them. I'm not saying do it all the time, but in the case of something obvious, perhaps it warrants going against the coaches a few times a game until they can earn your respect that your going to make the right call.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If things don't change by midseason, I think your going to start seeing the water bubble over for Marshall. I don't see him staying quiet for too long.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I agree with Ski. The Dolphins are 2-0 because of their defense. And as impressive as the defense has been, they are a long way from Boulware, Sharper, Lewis, Adams, Siragusa, Woodson, and McAlister. That was a defense that won a Super Bowl.

Ours should keep us in most games, but we are going to need more from the offense. Sparano has mentioned it after both games. Opening up the game plan a bit more for Marshall (even if it is simply giving Henne an audible when the defense is likely to stack the line) seems like the best place to start.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
I think Henne just needs to start changing the plays on his own. Screw having permission. I remember several times I saw Manning in his early years get into it with the coach or offensive coordinator over changing plays in the huddle or at the line. He just did it, he didn't ask, he knew what was coming and took the initiative. What are they going to do about it? He needs to make this his teem, take charge of that offense and lead them. I'm not saying do it all the time, but in the case of something obvious, perhaps it warrants going against the coaches a few times a game until they can earn your respect that your going to make the right call.

I'm not sure that is a feasible approach. Tom Moore's offense had aubibles in place.

I'm not sure Dan Henning even knows what an audible is. You need to have audibles in place in order for the other players on the field to know you're changing the play.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

it looks to me like it is a whole "baby steps" approach to this offense. 1st play of the game, Henne hits Brandon for 46 yards down the field, and I thought "hot damn, they are letting him play a little bit." and then it got taken away, especially in the 2nd half.

I hope Brandon can keep his cool and practice what he was preaching about changing how he is, but who knows how long it will happen.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Holy crap!... Wow about we save these type of threads for when we lose a game?..

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 am

Haha. We're just getting warmed up. Look Miami is 2-0 coming off a great win. But it doesn't mean we have to ignore the problems. Brandon Marshall was brought in to ignite a passing game that was asleep. He's here and nothing's changed.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Henning is to worried about when he can get the wildcat on the field. His playcalling is going to kill us this year. A win is a win but we must use our WRs. Marshall is a beast.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 am

Go watch the Ricky Williams fumble again. Notice the alignment. 9 defenders in the box. Marshall up top of the screen in man coverage. It was a mismatch and should have been a 3 step, bang bang play with very little risk. I've seen this now several times in the preseason and the regular season. If Miami is going to be successful, they're going to have to allow Henne to check off the run and hit Marshall on that play.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 am

Go watch the Ricky Williams fumble again. Notice the alignment. 9 defenders in the box. Marshall up top of the screen in man coverage. It was a mismatch and should have been a 3 step, bang bang play with very little risk. I've seen this now several times in the preseason and the regular season. If Miami is going to be successful, they're going to have to allow Henne to check off the run and hit Marshall on that play. BTW...how many times has Marshall taken a short pass, peeled back the other way using the safety to take out his man. If you give him the opportunity to do it on that play, it might be a cheap 6.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:

The difference is Indy had no one else to go to if Manning was ignoring play calls and fighting with coaches. I don't think Miami would even hesitate to reinsert Pennington if Henne started going off the reservation and Thigpen has proven he is serviceable. Not sure Henne has the freedom you may think.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I hope it dont get to that point! but if someone dont step up and do something about hennig im gonna fly to Miami and personally punch him in his big stupid face! Coach Sparano seem's to be happy with it which I think he's more happy for the win by any means! but when we loose ecspecially with this tough run comin up we need to open up this offense! I see no reason why we are not 4-0 going to GB after the bye but If we are gonna be we need to pass cant be one dimensional in this division! And why we paying B=Marsh all that money to just stand out there and take up space!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Phin wrote:

The difference is Indy had no one else to go to if Manning was ignoring play calls and fighting with coaches. I don't think Miami would even hesitate to reinsert Pennington if Henne started going off the reservation and Thigpen has proven he is serviceable. Not sure Henne has the freedom you may think.

That's kinda my point. I don't think he has any freedom at the line. Nobody in their right mind runs at 9 against NY or Mini. Nobody in their right mind...

Henne also wasn't a first overall pick, nor is he irreplaceable. If he starts going it alone, they will can him.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The only way they would can him is if the audibles didn't work.
As Rich said though, perhaps that isn't possible since there may not be such a thing as an audible in Henning's offense.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Seems to me that Penny was using them.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I really, really, really hope we open it up more this week. I think we are ALWAYS going to set the tone with running, which is fine, but man I just want to see large chunks of yardage.

I think Marshall and Henne are almost there, but they've got to take the shackles off these guys.

Once thing that's bugging me about Henne a bit (Don't get me wrong, I love him) is that swagger. I want him to come out screaming and hustling. I just don't see that. Maybe it's a quiet leadership and I shouldn't have expectations, but it all just seems so flat.

We can't expect to win the Jets and especially the Patriots with defense alone. They WILL score on us more than the past 2 teams, and we need to be willing to answer.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I really don't think the Jets are going to score on us...we can probably win that game defense alone. Not saying that we will definitely win if the defense shows up, but I can see Sunday night being a fairly ugly game. Against the Patriots, though, we definitely need to open up the offense. Not necessarily the passing game, but just remain consistent, balanced, and aggressive throughout the game instead of peetering out in the second half. BMarsh needs the ball though, and every week that passes by without him having a 100 yrd, 1 td game, I cringe. I worry about the day that he starts to complain.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]