View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A couple of coaching quibbles ... 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post A couple of coaching quibbles ...
I think they get a little too cute in the red zone.

Dave Hyde wrote:
A couple of coaching quibbles (what's a game without them?). On second and goal at the 3, they take out Henne and Brandon Marshall. That would seem the time to use them. The bigger question came when they got the ball with 45 seconds left at their own 34 and three timeouts. They ran out the clock. Why not take a a shot with Brandon Marshall, maybe get a field goal? Yes, the Dallas game against Washington proved what can go wrong. But, unlike Dallas, the Dolphins were moving the ball.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... ngs_0.html

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: A couple of coaching quibbles ...
We won the game, so I have no quibbles.

Against the Jets and Pats we need to show our new offense, though. No more holding back of playing conservative. We need to come to play.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:45 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

On second and goal at the 3, they take out Henne and Brandon Marshall.

This is the garbage I'm talking about regarding the wildcat. There is no threat of a pass and then on 3rd and goal the D knows it's a pass. Why not just tell them we are going to run and then pass? Dumb...Marshall is huge he should have 3 jump balls thrown his way on 1st and goal. He will catch one of them.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Have to agree with Mak here. Using Marshall and Fasano in goal line situations would be ideal. The fumbles and the inability of the Wildcat to really open things up so far has me skeptical of just a run hard approach on 1st and goal. Even if Marshall is just a decoy, Hartline has shown a knack (dating back to last year) for getting open in the back of the end zone.

Key for Henne is not forcing throws ala the Falcons preseason game INT intended for Fasano.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

This is the garbage I'm talking about regarding the wildcat..

I agree that taking out Marshall is garbage, but the Wildcat is an excellent goalline offense. An extra blocker is extremely useful, especially when all you need to gain is a few yards. However, if you leave Marshall in there, there is the option of a "jump pass" if you will to Marshall in the back of the endzone. While you could do that with a TE, there isn't a receiving threat quite like Marshall nor one on this team that costs upwards of 40 million and two draft picks.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
The fumbles and the inability of the Wildcat to really open things up so far has me skeptical

The fumbles are concerning, yes, but for me it hasn't been the Wildcat itself that has bothered me, but how Henning has used it. We are using it on 1st downs with no Jet motion...that's going to gain maybe 4 yards. The Wildcat should be used with the Jet at all times in my opinion, unless it's on the goalline. In which case, just pound it in there....but even then, the jet can be utilized. That misdirection is what makes the play work, I think. But when Henning uses the Jet counter and then immediately following uses the Jet sweep he's not fooling anyone.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:34 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

This is the garbage I'm talking about regarding the wildcat. There is no threat of a pass and then on 3rd and goal the D knows it's a pass. Why not just tell them we are going to run and then pass? Dumb...Marshall is huge he should have 3 jump balls thrown his way on 1st and goal. He will catch one of them.

I like the WC, but I totally agree here. I really don't think the WC should be a red zone option.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Big Dave wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I like the WC, but I totally agree here. I really don't think the WC should be a red zone option.

First and goal inside the 5, I think its an excellent option. I just think that every time we get inside the opponents 40, Henning breaks out the wildcat. It takes so much going right for an offense to get into a rhythm and put together a good drive and to break that by taking Henne out of the equation, is not only an injustice to Henne but also a drive killer in many cases.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
break that by taking Henne out of the equation, is not only an injustice to Henne but also a drive killer in many cases.

I think this is a bad argument. It's not like you have to take a snap and turn around and give it to a running back and then stand there and watch him get tackled puts you in more of a rhythm than going over to the sidelines, talking with the coaches and potentially looking at photos to dissect a defense in the middle of a drive.

In other words, it benefits Henne to come out in the middle of a drive, not hinders him. The only argument that needs to be made about the ineffectiveness of the set, and that has to do with A-Henning not having a good feel for the game and B-Poor execution.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]