View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Marino raves about Jake Long stopping Jared Allen 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Marino raves about Jake Long stopping Jared Allen
Quote:
Marino raves about Jake Long stopping Jared Allen
by Joe Rose
September 20, 2010

On The Dan Marino Show on Monday morning, the legendary former Dolphins quarterback joined me and touched on a few subjects as the Dolphins head into their home opener 2-0 for the first time since 1977:

About Jake Long: “[Minnesota All-Pro defensive end] Jared Allen’s one of the best pass rushers in the league. In the dome, on the turf, coming off the corner, with the crowd noise, the whole thing. And he pretty much shut him down, and that’s a big deal.”

Regarding Brett Favre and the great effort the Dolphins defense had in holding the Vikings to 10 points: “He’s a great player. I’d say that 80 percent of the time in those situations, in these kinds of games at home…. he’s gonna win those games, and that is why you have to give a lot of credit to the Dolphins’ defense.”

However, when compared with Favre as having been in ‘that boat yourself’ as an older quarterback trying to get offenses going, Marino, who turned 49 on Wednesday, quickly countered: “I always went through camp, there’s a difference. … It’s not the same, OK?”

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... ong_s.html

Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Marino raves about Jake Long stopping Jared Allen
lol, nice little jab there

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Zing!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Marino always a team player, and he was with the same team his entire career. He's nothing like Favre. I understand why he wouldn't want to be lumped into a group with that guy. Favre is a selfish player.
I watched a post game article that said Farve came to play last year because he wanted to and it showed in his enthusiasm. If you watch him now that enthusiasm is gone. Favre came back this year because he said he owed it to the players in Minnesota. Favre looks disinterested right now, and it shows in the way he plays.
Maybe he should have retired? Maybe the Vikes would have been better off moving on?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

wkloiber13 wrote:
Favre looks disinterested right now, and it shows in the way he plays.
Maybe he should have retired? Maybe the Vikes would have been better off moving on?

While agree he should have just retired( especially with that ankle) I highly doubt they would have been better off with Jackson running the O. Lets just hope he gets his sh*t together and destroys the Jets and Pats

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Favre is selfish for playing for a rival team, but the Packers kicked him to the curb when he felt he wasn't done. Of course, looking at Rogers you can see why.

Wannstedt did the same thing to Marino, and Huizenga let him do it. Marino had an offer to start for the Vikings, but he turned it down. He just couldn't play for another team.

Marino will be a legend to Dolphins fans, but Favre will not toa Packers fans. He'll regret it once he hangs up his cleats.

BTW, I used to love Richmond Webb, but Jake Long has now become my favorite Dolphins LT. He pretty much owned Jared Allen. To me, I would give him AFC offensive player of the week honors for it.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

The irony of situations like Favre and Taylor are that it was the team that kicked them to the curb but they end up with the ire of the fans. If a team treats a position/player like a business and moves on, it gets no press. However if a player excepts a better "business" offer from another team; they are suddenly the enemy. I guess its one of those things that truly is a one-way street.
I really should burn my JT fathead on youtube

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:34 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

NFLJunkie wrote:

Give it to me and ill burn it for you at the Jets game :yay:

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FloDro wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I have a JT fathead also. It used to be one of my prized possessions, but now I could care less about it.

Does anyone else get tired of hearing about things being a "business"? To the fans, we do not care about the business aspect of things. We just love our favorite players and expect some loyalty from them ... like not playing for a rival division team.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Big Dave wrote:
FloDro wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

I have a JT fathead also. It used to be one of my prized possessions, but now I could care less about it.

Does anyone else get tired of hearing about things being a "business"? To the fans, we do not care about the business aspect of things. We just love our favorite players and expect some loyalty from them ... like not playing for a rival division team.

Absolutely right BD... If Dan had gone to the Vikings we would have all felt a bit betrayed...It wouldnt have tarnished his reputation in Miami but it wouldnt have been forgotten. Now if he had gone to the Jets... Well Marino wouldnt have been spoken about favorably in many circles. So the same goes for JT... He was one of the most if not the most outspoken Jets hater in dolphins history... When i look back at JTs career the first thing that comes to mind wont be his heart punch after every sack but the fact that he dressed in the puke green and was booed this sunday( ill be doing plenty of that at the game :yay: )

Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]