View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 2-0.... Barely 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post 2-0.... Barely
First off.. I know I'm new around here, and I just want you guys to know I love my Phins just as much as the next guy.

I can't help but thinking, though, as I look back on the last 2 weeks is that both games were winnable by the other team in the final minutes of the game.

This is where our ultra conservative offense concerns me right now.

We can't expect to win a ton of games by defense alone. We have to be willing to put up points. So far, we've played a good position battle and our offense has shown all the capability of 'opening it up' but hasn't. I don't believe they simply suck. I believe we're playing 'small ball'.

We're 2-0, that's really awesome and encouraging (especially our defense) but we MUST open it up with our next lot of opponents.

It's time for our offense to shine.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: 2-0.... Barely
AOA001 wrote:
First off.. I know I'm new around here, and I just want you guys to know I love my Phins just as much as the next guy.

I can't help but thinking, though, as I look back on the last 2 weeks is that both games were winnable by the other team in the final minutes of the game.

We can't expect to win a ton of games by defense alone. We have to be willing to put up points. So far, we've played a good position battle and our offense has shown all the capability of 'opening it up' but hasn't. I don't believe they simply suck. I believe we're playing 'small ball'.

We're 2-0, that's really awesome and encouraging (especially our defense) but we MUST open it up with our next lot of opponents. It's time for our offense to shine.

I agree 100% But im gonna explode if hennig dont open it!! No excuse im my eyes that we loose to
the Jets!

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

A W is a W. So far they have 2 W's that were both road games. That is a fantastic start. I am sure that as the season progresses, Henning will open up the offense and let Henne attack defenses down field more. The Viking's game was only Henne's 15th game as a starting QB.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AOA001 wrote:

We're 2-0, that's really awesome and encouraging (especially our defense) but we MUST open it up with our next lot of opponents.

It's time for our offense to shine.

I agree! For some reason we treat every lead as though it is insurmountable. We were so content to make a first down or two and then punt this past week with only a 7-0 lead.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:28 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It took the SB champs 4 turnovers last night to win. There is a fine line of winning and losing in this league.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Exactly...so don't expect the winning formula to get changed much this week. I fully expect that Henning will have a couple of plays just for the Jets but if they get a lead...get ready for more boreball.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't care if we win 3-0 as long as we win.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I was reading an article the other day, and I'll see what I can do about locating it, but it stated that teams that start 2-0 have a 65% chance of making the playoffs over the past 20 years. Teams that start 1-1 have roughly a 45% chance of making it, while teams that start 0-2 have a 15% chance of making it. Bottom line, starting hot is the key to making the playoffs in the NFL!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I was listening to "The Opening Drive" on NFL Radio Monday morning and a Browns fan called in screaming about their OC's vanilla play calling.

Marty Schottenheimer calmly told him that the Head Coach and Coordinators are only going to call the plays that they feel their players can handle.

The caller didn't get the message and kept ranting that the OC should be fired. Finally Coach cut him off and said, "With all due respect, it's the players not the plays."

I've heard him say that before and you do have to consider that he's a coach not a player, but it is obvious that he KNOWS football.

I'd like the Dolphins to open up their offense as much as anyone, but maybe just maybe it isn't all Henning's fault?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:54 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Realistically it might not be Hennings fault. I really don't think it's any particular persons fault, but it's go time.

I do have confidence that we will be able to open it up. We have a very solid offense that just needs to get their Swagger back.

As things go on, it looks like the offensive line is getting better and better. The more we can do that, the more we can get downfield, open up the run game, etc etc.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:49 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Seems we're just taking it really slow with a young QB... which is no problem... he's not exactly tearing it up out there... he's playing well, but he needs a bit more touch... hopefully he gets the hang of it.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]