View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 J. Allen 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

J. Allen
Go to NFL.com and look at the top defensive backs for 2010.

Jason Allen is near the top in almost every catagory. Amazing!

#1 for picks (tied with like 7 people)

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: J. Allen
There was never any doubt if he was physically gifted enough to play in the NFL...it was a matter if he was mentally capable to grasp a scheme. Looks like Mike Nolan got it to him, but also, props to Jason Allen on sticking with it and not getting too down on himself (Ted Ginn).

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Iowafin wrote:
There was never any doubt if he was physically gifted enough to play in the NFL...it was a matter if he was mentally capable to grasp a scheme. Looks like Mike Nolan got it to him, but also, props to Jason Allen on sticking with it and not getting too down on himself (Ted Ginn).

Man, talk about turning the tables huh! I honestly thought we were another year away from having our true second dependable CB

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I need a link...after surfing their horribly embedded website I can't find a thing.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... onType=REG

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

this one for just DBs. can click the stats to sort

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:44 am

JA has always had good ball skills when put in the game. His weaknesses are still there..ie allowing too much of a cushion for defenders. His strengths have always been his tackling in run support and his coverage of the deep ball which he showed as early as Saban's Reign. It befuddled most people how a kid could play so well in games but not win the favor of multiple coaching staffs. I'm just glad he's getting a chance.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Over the years... every time he has been asked to step up and play CB, he plays amazing!... The thing that I admire with him is his nose for the ball...

I won't research it but I'm sure everytime he's on the field he has an INT or something close to it... So far he's headed to the probowl. Maybe Nick Saban wasn't that mad after all.

The same question keeps coming up... Why didn't he secure the job 4 years ago?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dan wrote:
The same question keeps coming up... Why didn't he secure the job 4 years ago?

Cuz Mike Nolan wasn't with us to fix our D problems :grin:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Lets just hope he keeps it going...

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Brett Favre described as a corner that plays like a safety. That's interesting as we always thought he was a tweener.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Brett Favre described as a corner that plays like a safety. That's interesting as we always thought he was a tweener.

Favre also noted that Vontae, or No. 21 as he said it, was a guy they didn't want to target very much. I think a lot of teams are going to challenge Jason Allen this year. He will get every opportunity possible to prove he belongs out there. Sean Smith will be quietly waiting in the wings. If Allen takes advantage like he did in Minnesota he could have himself a Pro Bowl type of season, he's doing that well so far in my opinion!
I was as hard on Jason Allen as anyone on these boards. I flat out thought he was a bust and needed to be traded or cut before this season started. But up until this point he has proven me wrong. Now what I can't do is take back what I said, but what I can say now is that he is slowly changing my mind about him. He has me believing that he can be our no. 2 corner and that maybe he should be a starter. Good job so far Allen, keep it up!
:yay:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:23 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Some of Sparano's comments concerning Jason Allen after the Vikings game:

Dolphins In Depth - Miami Herald wrote:
...didn’t want to ask him to do too many things from that standpoint because I think all those things require a different skill set and you can get caught up in the goodies that Jason brings to the table that way. He’s got outstanding athleticism and sometimes that can get you caught in trying to get him to do too many things. So from our end we needed to back off of that and we needed to say, okay this is what we’re going to ask this guy to do.

Someone finally figured out the enigma that was Jason Allen. Apparently, he has so much natural talent that everyone' been blinded into asking him to do too much. This whole time I thought they switched him from DB to Safety because he couldn't play DB in the NFL and they switched him from Safety to DB because he couldn't play Safety either.

Nolan has put him in a position to succeed and I think that is all you can ask a coach / coordinator to do.

Image approves this message

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Expectations dried up for Miami Dolphins defensive back Jason Allen two years ago. He was what he was, the 16th overall pick of the 2006 draft who just didn't work out.

[+] EnlargeJason Allen
AP Photo/Andy KingJason Allen intercepted Brett Favre twice in the second half on Sunday.
Allen couldn't break into the starting lineup unless there were injuries. He was a heck of a special-teams player, though. So the Dolphins took what they could get and kept him around.

But the Dolphins made a surprise decision right before the season started. They named Allen a starting cornerback. The move seemed to reflect badly on incumbent starter Sean Smith more than it was considered a story of perseverance for Allen.

By now, you probably know Allen had the greatest game of his disappointing career Sunday. He intercepted Brett Favre twice in the second half to help the Dolphins win 14-10 in the Metrodome.

Jason Allen had a bigger game than Jared Allen. Jason Allen was credited with 11 tackles and three passes defensed.

Miami coach Tony Sparano revealed Monday that no defensive player graded out higher than Allen did against Minnesota.

Allen has bounced around from cornerback to safety to nickelback and special-teams ace and never seemed at home. Sparano said assigning him one job has turned out well.

"He's got outstanding athleticism and sometimes that can get you caught in trying to get him to do too many things," Sparano said. "So from our end we needed to back off of that and we needed to say 'OK, this is what we're going to ask this guy to do.' It's what we've done, and the kid has really grown, I think, as a player."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... f-the-week

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

I just hope folks don't think last Sunday will happen every weekend. Allen will continue to lose a few battles but he's going to win his share. He'll get better with more experience. So while I expect solid play from Allen, I think the CB position is still the toughest in the NFL. I remember a game where he started at CB against NE. He started the game by picking off Brady but finished by giving up a long pass to Moss. Inbetween he gave up a few balls underneath to Moss. People excoriated him for the performance. The problem wasn't Allen..it was being singled up in coverage on the best WR in the game.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Iowafin wrote:

A great teacher makes all the difference... every last one of us has had, in our life time, a great teacher, and a bad teacher... we all should know what a difference it has at any level of education... even in sport.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm

Nolan has a great scheme that suits the talents of Allen. Let's hope he continues to get better.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]