View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Henne's 5 first half passes in half lowest in Dolphins histo 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Henne's 5 first half passes in half lowest in Dolphins histo
Less than Earl Morrall? Amazing. Just win, baby.

Dave Hyde wrote:
Chad Henne's first play was a 46-yard pass to Brandon Marshall, as if to just shut up everyone about the lack of a Dolphins deep threat. Then he threw just five passes all first half, the lowest number in a half in Dolphins history. You know who won this way, riding the defense, handcuffing the offense and keeping games close? Dave Wannstedt. Look, Tony Sparano is doing what he needs to win games. And you can win a lot of regular-season games this way if the defense is good enough. But if this is the formula the Dolphins are using and not just a measure of where the offense is right now, it's not a formula for grand successs. You have to throw in today's NFL. You have to be able to score lots of points in today's NFL. You have to be able to bend however a playoff games takes you to win with offense, defense, special teams - whatever.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Henne's 5 first half passes in half lowest in Dolphins histo
I agree with the article. To take it a step further, I'd say you can't just turn it on like a water faucet either. You either can or you can't. Right now, I hope Henning is hiding his cards going into this week. Henne had several 300yd performances to close out last season and the results were mixed. I still think against teams that dare you to throw deep, you have got to try. Baltimore doesn't beat the Jets in week 1 if they don't throw it deep.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Its situational. The last two weeks were about preserving leads with good defense. It worked. It will not always be the case and if its obvious to us then my guess is the boys on the sidelines might be aware of it too.

Henne can throw the ball and throw it far. We've seen that. But right now he doesn't need to, and if there comes a game when they are down by 10 then he'll have to. If he can master reading defenses and the short to intermediate throws, (and I said this in another post) then you will have Pennington accuracy with awesome arm strength.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
You know who won this way, riding the defense, handcuffing the offense and keeping games close? Dave Wannstedt.

I think you have to go even further back to Don Shula's early 70s teams to see this formula. When the Dolphins had Csonka, Mercury Morris, and Kiick behind that incredible offensive line, they ran it down other teams throats. This despite having Griese who was a very good quarterback, and Paul Warfield who was one of the best wide receivers in his day. They didn't score a lot, but they won.

Wannstedt neglected the offensive line, but Parcells and Shula put great emphasis on having a good one.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 am
Profile WWW

The other difference....that defense was ranked better but would've allowed AP into the endzone. Just my 2 cents.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Look, we won two road games in hostile places. A win is a win, but we have to get thsi offense going. I believe Henne will break out this week and throw for 250yrds and a touch to B. Marshall.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Totally agree with this.

No more cute.

We can either have a powerful offense, or we don't. I don't like 'playing to the opponents level'. I think we should come out and do what our offense can do.

That way, we can start resting players if we need to.

But doing this holding back thing they've been doing (and I do think we are holding back) will not work forever.

There are going to be games where the defense doesn't have a memorable performance like they did against Favre, so we better be ready to come out guns slinging.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just wanted to share this. I posted a question on an ESPN chat to see what kind of response I could get from one of their experts. Turned out Matt Williamson decided to respond:

Dan (MA)

Hey Matt, is Miami going to let Chad Henne start throwing more? What seems to be the hold up?
Matt Williamson
(12:00 PM)

I don't know that he has progressed quite as rapidly as many of us thought. I still have high hopes for him overall, but it is a work in progress. To answer the question, I would say Yes, but again, not by leaps and bounds. They are playing good D. You know they will always stress the run. And that formula has worked.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
The other difference....that defense was ranked better but would've allowed AP into the endzone. Just my 2 cents.

They were very good, but they were also coached by Bills Arnsparger who was a defensive genius in his day. I think they would have stopped AP ... as they ranked #1 in lowest yards allowed on the ground and in the air.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Makchell wrote:
Look, we won two road games in hostile places. A win is a win, but we have to get thsi offense going. I believe Henne will break out this week and throw for 250yrds and a touch to B. Marshall.

This is huge right here... winning on the road is key!

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]