View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 I know one guy that would light Rex Ryans defense up 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post I know one guy that would light Rex Ryans defense up
In 1985, Dan Marino showed the world how to stop a Chicago Defense very similar to Ryan's today. Shotgun formation, 3-4 WRs and let her rip. Of course Marino had a laser beam arm back then, just sayin....maybe Miami should come out with something a little unexpected.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: I know one guy that would light Rex Ryans defense up
NFLJunkie wrote:
In 1985, Dan Marino showed the world how to stop a Chicago Defense very similar to Ryan's today. Shotgun formation, 3-4 WRs and let her rip. Of course Marino had a laser beam arm back then, just sayin....maybe Miami should come out with something a little unexpected.

Henne's release isn't as quick as Marino's, which is why he thrived against the blitz. But I agree. Miami's 3rd WR is much better than NY's 3rd CB. I think we need to use that to our advantage. Plus, with Nalbone getting cut and these new TE's coming in just a couple days ago, I don't expect many 2 TE sets, so, I think Miami comes out with a lot of 3 WR formations.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:25 am

I didn't think about the TE issue this week. That's interesting. BTW No one has Marino's Release but it was his accuracy and ability to read the QB, along with the balls to throw it anyway that made him great.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Hurry up offense would throw them all off balance...

Have always felt the best way to plan for a defense like this is hurry up.. Peyton has been tormenting Ryan for years now...

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

Have always felt the best way to plan for a defense like this is hurry up.. Peyton has been tormenting Ryan for years now...

Peyton is also basically an offensive coordinator on the field don't forget. Makes life much simpler.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was in the Orange Bowl that Monday night back in 1985. The place was rocking that night. Dan torched the Bears and Miami's defense played great in the 1st half and then held on for dear life in the 2nd half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgy9odEsNws

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

10acjed wrote:

The hurry up is the perfect counter to such a aggressive D! Your not letting the players get off the field and after a few of Ryans aggressive blitzes they will be winded... The perfect time for Marshall to step in with a long ball...Especially with Revis out!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:26 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

To be honest what defense would Marino not have lit up hahaha!

I think there is a good point to what you are saying. Throwing the ball more would probably be a good idea this week. But you can't forget who you are. This is a running football team, that wins games rough and ugly.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Throwing is obviously a good idea. Throwing like we have Marino, however, is not. Though Henne has a great arm, the question isn't whether he can makes the throws, but whether he can read the blitz. They're going to come at us with the kitchen sink, and one I'll advised throw can be the difference.

The key is running a balanced offense where we can make quick throws over a vacated middle and pounding them with draw plays that take advantage of an aggressive defense and play on our strength in running the ball.

That and a shot or 3 deep downfield.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 am
Profile WWW

Miami needs to throw a lot out of the base formation on first down to win this game. When they do that, good things usually happen. They also have to take advantage of Marshall when he's in single coverage. If the Jets line up 9 guys in the box, Marshall will be singled up on the outside and they simply can't ignore that like they did last week. There shouldn't be a great deal of crowd noise so Henne should be able to check off to that.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]