View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Great Game that was eye opening in many regards 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Great Game that was eye opening in many regards
1. Henne is awesome. Lead the team right back down the field to try and win it late. When Henning wasn't taking him out of the game for the Ronnie Brown Spread Offense (I thought when we jettisoned White this was over).
2. Henning had an awful game. His gameplans are always a mixture of brilliance (forcing the Jets to defend the deep half of the field) and complete stupidity (Spread offense with direct snap to Brown and the empty backfields on short yardage).
3. Mike Nolans unit just wasn't ready to play tonight. Before they even caught their breath they were down by 14. I stated earlier in the week that they'd have to have an answer for Keller and they didn't until the 2nd half.
4. JA - I said last week you'll get the bad with the good. Allen is a fine athlete who'll get better as the season goes on but he's going to have evenings like tonight where he's singled up and doesn't perform well. The Edwards pass I blame on a busted coverage or a poor defense as it had Allen on an Island, no blitz against the Jets most physical WR.
5. The Jets stayed away from VD all evening. It is a testament to his arrival as a good CB in the NFL. His name wasn't called because they never challenged him.
6. The front 7 on the defense was manhandled. Tim Dobbins is a liability at MLB. Why Dobbins got the nod over the kid from KY I'm not sure but I've never seen so many missed tackles in the hole when the entire defense just set you up to make a play and you fail. Dobbins has to go. I'm not even sure Dobbins is a servicable backup since we have Carpenter in that regard.
7. ST's were again a mixed bag of great, okay and horrific. How do you kick a ball OB? How do you get a punt blocked at a key point in the game?
8. You can call for fire X or Fire Y but the bottom line is the Jets just beat Miami. Their OL was killing our D. Their ST's kicked Miami's butt. Their coaches looked like they read the Miami playbook coming in.
9. Finally, quit calling the spread offense with RB (IE the same offense White Ran) the wildcat. Its not. If Jake Long is on the left in the formation, its the spread. If he's on the right, its the Wildcat. If Henning doesn't ditch this offense he will not be the coordinator next year. He killed at least 3 offensive drives by putting them in a hole and the only reason it wasn't worse is Henne bailed him out with some pinpoint passing.
The good news....Miami is still 2-1 with a chance to enter the bye week at 3-1 if they take care of the Pats.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Great Game that was eye opening in many regards
I don't want to say next week is a must win, because must wins in October are rare... but if this team loses next week, they are staring 2-6 right in the face. At that point, the season's over.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:41 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

MNDolfan wrote:
I don't want to say next week is a must win, because must wins in October are rare... but if this team loses next week, they are staring 2-6 right in the face. At that point, the season's over.

So if we win next week we'll be 3-5 instead...

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I saw a lot of positives in this game. Just a little more discipline and this could have been ours.

With that said, I'm not super bummed about this. Dolphins did all the things we wanted them to do, and they lost.

We still have a great and exciting football team. It's only week 3, with plenty of time to grow.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Some good observations there. I thought Henne looked great and had the running game been better, or had they not called some pretty unnecessary WC plays, he may have had more to work with. The guy can step up under pressure, and his lone gaff was a pass he had to force anyway (why Fasano on 4th down?).

Allen got abused, plain and simple. You could see it on his face. His miss on Edwards was unfortunate but its part of the game and he needs to accept responsibility. Bell left me shaking my head a few times as well.

Pretty surprised Henning didnt call more tough runs when it was goal line. Use that to set up the pass, not use spread formations at the 3 yard line. Still not digging the spread but Henne made it work tonight.

The WRs deserve a game ball. They ran great routes and made phenomenal catches.

Dobbins struggled, as did the pass rush. Had they been more effective early it would be a different tale. Sanchez makes some horrendous decisions under pressure. Unfortunately he will be praised as the golden boy all week for his first half effort.

Tough loss. Allen and Langford came so close to changing the momentum but you can't fault either on those almost interceptions, very difficult plays to make.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:49 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

J Allen needs to rebound next week...
I hope Crowder is ready, cause Dobbins/Carpenter SUCK!!

NE's secondary pales in comparison to NY's, we need to come out passing.... F the wild cat, pass to open the run....

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

PS: why was Allen on Edwards anyway?????

Stupid move, should have put Vontae on him...

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Not only did Allen allow Braylon Edwards to score a 67-yard touchdown after slipping in coverage of a 15-yard out in the third quarter. But the Miami Dolphins’ 2006 first-round pick got called for a critical pass interference on a pass intended for Edwards on third-and-4 at the goal line in the game’s final three minutes.

And where was the safety??????

Quote:
But Allen never looked back on a jump ball Mark Sanchez lobbed up to Edwards, and a few seconds after the pass was broken up the referee threw a flag. Three plays later LaDainian Tomlison would cap a 12-play-80 yard drive with a leap over the goal line to give the Jets a 31-23 lead with 1:55 left.

I beg to differ...He was looking back and on top of that the contact was from the reciever going into him......

Allen made some good plays in that game....He does not deserve to be the goat.....

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

- Jason Allen had one of the worst games of his pro career. Slipping all over the field and that play on 3rd and long in the 4th quarter playing up top of Braylon when his responsibility was to cover the underneath stuff with help from the safety. I mean that's just brain dead right there.

- Play calling on offense still leaves me speechless. A ton of unnecessary and potentially negative plays run. Was also disappointed to so how anemic we were when twice we were inside the 10 yard line threatening to score.

- Yeremiah Bell forgot how to tackle.

- The defense couldn't generate a pass rush whatsoever. Cameron Wake and Quentin Moses repeatedly gave up the edge on power running plays. Our inability to cover Dustin Keller has me frightened to think of the game plan NE is going to draw up next week utilizing Gronkowski and Hernandez.

- Can't bang on Henne too much here, but he forced that awful throw to Fasano at the end of the game. He needs to work on that fade route, had absolutely no touch on them whatsoever.

- Why did we give Tim Dobbins that extension? Crowder can't get back fast enough.

Watching that summmb*tch Jason Taylor get a sack and get a gatorade bath was enough to ruin my entire upcoming week.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:09 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:
- Jason Allen had one of the worst games of his pro career. Slipping all over the field and that play on 3rd and long in the 4th quarter playing up top of Braylon when his responsibility was to cover the underneath stuff with help from the safety. I mean that's just brain dead right there.

- Play calling on offense still leaves me speechless. A ton of unnecessary and potentially negative plays run.

- The defense couldn't generate a pass rush whatsoever. Cameron Wake and Quentin Moses repeatedly gave up the edge on power running plays. Our inability to cover Dustin Keller has me frightened to think of the game plan NE is going to draw up next week utilizing Gronkowski and Hernandez.

- Can't bang on Henne too much here, but he forced that awful throw to Fasano at the end of the game. He needs to work on that fade route, had absolutely no touch on them whatsoever.

- Why did we give Tim Dobbins that extension? Crowder can't get back fast enough.

Cry me a river. We lost fair and square.

Glad you're focusing on all the negative in a game where we beat ourselves with a few stupid penalties, and not all of this crazy over dramatic stuff you're bringing up that just happens in the course of a football game.

We have a seriously great team, and we're just going to get better this year.

So chill out. We're 2-1.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:13 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

jammer wrote:
Allen got abused, plain and simple. You could see it on his face. His miss on Edwards was unfortunate but its part of the game and he needs to accept responsibility. Bell left me shaking my head a few times as well..
Not sure how a DB slipping on the dirt/sod infield is abuse. Allen played alright, made some mistakes, but also made some good plays & again about had a game changing pick. If no one has notice he has had his hands on a pick all three games.

The flag in the endzone was horrible. Allen turned his head when Edwards went up.

One call I do not understand. Can someone explain how Clemons gets a flag for having a lunging Wr hitting him?

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AOA001 wrote:

Glad you're focusing on all the negative in a game where we beat ourselves with a few stupid penalties, and not all of this crazy over dramatic stuff you're bringing up that just happens in the course of a football game.

So chill out. We're 2-1.

Overdramatic? These were the negatives of the game. Did I mention anything about what's going to happen the rest of the season? No. Save it blow hard. Henne and the receivers were the only guys worth mentioning for their performances. Everyone else should hold themselves accountable.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:
Allen got abused, plain and simple. You could see it on his face. His miss on Edwards was unfortunate but its part of the game and he needs to accept responsibility. Bell left me shaking my head a few times as well..
Not sure how a DB slipping on the dirt/sod infield is abuse. Allen played alright, made some mistakes, but also made some good plays & again about had a game changing pick. If no one has notice he has had his hands on a pick all three games.

The flag in the endzone was horrible. Allen turned his head when Edwards went up.

One call I do not understand. Can someone explain how Clemons gets a flag for having a lunging Wr hitting him?

Meh. That PI will get called every time. He didn't make a legitimate effort to turn his head around. Braylon took advantage of it like a wideout should.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
1. Henne is awesome. Lead the team right back down the field to try and win it late. .

Henne is awesome???He sucked in the 1st quarter...Big time...

Missed multiple open men(including 2 would be touchdowns)

Threw a pick on the final drive, in which he had a 1st and 10 from the 11 and could'nt get it done....

He needs to improve, that was not a stellar performance....

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Game changing terrible call!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The call on Clemons was a crappy one....but the referees see it at football speed and not in slo-mo. That penalty would have been called more often than not.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:28 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AOA001 wrote:
I saw a lot of positives in this game. Just a little more discipline and this could have been ours.

With that said, I'm not super bummed about this. Dolphins did all the things we wanted them to do, and they lost.

We still have a great and exciting football team. It's only week 3, with plenty of time to grow.

AOA001, why didn't you get in on the chat.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Mindtornado wrote:
AOA001, why didn't you get in on the chat.

I was the first one in the chat, haha!

I found out about half way through the 1st quarter that everyone else' feed was about 30 seconds faster than mine, if not more. I guess it takes the signal a long time to get up here in AK.

You wouldn't think so.

So on the first Jet's touchdown, everyone said TD waaaaay ahead of when I saw it, so I had to bow out.

This was on a local channel with DirecTV. Hopefully when I'm able to be home for other games it won't be so off, but it probably will be.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AOA001 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

- Play calling on offense still leaves me speechless. A ton of unnecessary and potentially negative plays run.

So chill out. We're 2-1.

Offense played great.

Don't be a homer.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm not a homer, but there was a lot of positive in the game. If I were a homer I'd say that we lost because the Jets cheated, or because of bad officiating. But we lost the game fair and square.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
jammer wrote:

Falling down was not abuse, but the bad coverage and the PI were. Can't remember ever seeing coverage dissected more and by multiple stations than Allen's allowing of Edwards to get underneath on that 3rd and long play.

I said the slipping was unfortunate, but its his responsibility. Overall he didn't do a great job.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

kev1321 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
1. Henne is awesome. Lead the team right back down the field to try and win it late. .

Threw a pick on the final drive, in which he had a 1st and 10 from the 11 and could'nt get it done....

Have to disagree. He missed an open Hartline to start the game, other than that he was hitting his receivers. His throws to the endzone were not great calls. Hartline was well covered on the fade and Marshall had zero separation on that play Cromartie broke up. The INT was the same play they scored with earlier in the game, Fasano was just well covered. It was a bad play call and put perhaps their worst receiver in a position to make a very difficult catch.

You're asking a guy who just threw 360 yds, 2 TDs, 60% comp pct and consistently connected on 3rd down passes to improve while doing it against a top 5 defense? Don't give me he threw a pick to end the game. That play was called, Marshall was completely taken out of it (you saw that on the replay), and Fasano was unfortunately the only option.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

AOA001 wrote:
I'm not a homer, but there was a lot of positive in the game. If I were a homer I'd say that we lost because the Jets cheated, or because of bad officiating. But we lost the game fair and square.

LOL ... I am sure there are plenty of guys thinking that. As usual there are already a few hints about the officiating.
I thought the Dolphins played well & had a chance to win. Coming into the game I thought all the cards fell right in our favor. A home game on Natl TV , Jets being distracted with the Edwards thing & no Revis. No reason to jump off a bridge.
Anyone still caring that our coach lost weight the old fashoined way?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:00 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

No one ever cared about Sparano. He's still super fat on Madden, too.

I've been thinking tonight how much I love this team now with this new regime. We aren't cocky, we do our business, and we have fun.

I hope it stays around for a while.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:14 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

We had this game up until the 2 minute warning in the 4th. That Sanchez shovel pass was Langfords ticket to the holyland. So close.........seems to me the defense has came close to making about a hundred interceptions but doesn't seal the deal. :cry:

But you know what? We started the season barely in the Top 20 in the Power Rankings. Nobody gave us any respect. The Jets were all over HBO and picked by many as Superbowl bound. Here we are in the Top Ten , playing well , and most importantly......healthy. Jets are not looking SB bound. All that money , all that hype and they would be lucky to win the AFC east. Salary Cap comes back they are screwed. We are young and looking good at almost every posistion.

I'm not crying this morning. We can take the Pats. :jests:

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:31 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

kev1321 wrote:

Agree, he wasn't perfect. He needs to be perfect in ever way, because all great QBs are perfect with every pass.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:32 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

jammer wrote:

Falling down was not abuse, but the bad coverage and the PI were. Can't remember ever seeing coverage dissected more and by multiple stations than Allen's allowing of Edwards to get underneath on that 3rd and long play.

I said the slipping was unfortunate, but its his responsibility. Overall he didn't do a great job.

Did you see a pass rush by Miami? Was Sanchez even touched last night? There is your coverage problem. The one time I recall Sanchez having pressure was the play were Allen almost came up with a diving pick.

The PI was a bad call. Allen turned his head when Edwards started his leap. I saw one grossly bad play by Allen when he went behind Edwards in the 4th instead of staying in front of him.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:39 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Did you see a pass rush by Miami? Was Sanchez even touched last night? There is your coverage problem. The one time I recall Sanchez having pressure was the play were Allen almost came up with a diving pick.

The PI was a bad call. Allen turned his head when Edwards started his leap. I saw one grossly bad play by Allen when he went behind Edwards in the 4th instead of staying in front of him.

You are correct. The pass rush was awful and allowed Sanchez to look like Brees for a while. When they did get to him he looked like the guy I remember from last year, its just unfortunate the breaks did not go our way (Langford, Allen, and Wake all had very close INTs). Even Clemons had a slim chance on a tipped ball in the end zone.

Allen blew his coverage on that play and you heard Collinsworth, Harrison and guys on ESPN point it out. His job was to stop Edwards underneath as he had Clemons to back him up on a deep throw. He played the deep throw instead. It was a very costly mistake that late in the game. His PI was tough to swallow and was the result of a heads up play by Edwards. But there were other instances throughout the evening where Allen was not up to par on coverage. But yes, I can't argue that the pass rush didn't play a role.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:42 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I thought Chad Henne played a solid game and I thought overall the offense played there best game so far this season against a very good Jet defense. Brandon Marshall showed why he is indeed a top 5 WR, and in the end the Jets were not going tolet him beat them.

The running game was inconsistent and it is probably time to put the Wildcat to be and run from conventional sets. The OL missed a few assignments, but overall I thought they played well. Glad Henning opened up the offense with the passing game more, but his decision to go the the Wildcat on the occasions that he did killed momentum on a few drives.

The resodding of the infield was a hinderance last night. Yeremiah Bell was slipping on the 1st Dustin Keller pass and Jason Allen slipped on the Braylon Edwards TD pass.

Defensively, The Jets targeted Jason Allen a good bit and avoided Vontae Davis. Jason did struggle in this game, but I expect him to bounce back. Yeremiah Bell also had a tough game last night, not only in coverage, but he missed a big tackle on the 3rd and 15 play that allowed the Jets to convert and eventually socre a TD. I was disappointed that Miami allowed the Jets to keep getting the corner on the sweep playse in the running game. At this point, I would rather see Micah Johnson than Tim Dobbins in at ILB. To many times I saw Dobbins take a side in the hole instead of taking on the blocker in the hole.

Special Teams coverage wise has to get better, and getting a punt blocked cannot happen again.

This is a young team with plenty of room to improve and grow. Next weekend game against the Patriots is big, as you want to go into the bye week 3-1, but also , you do not want to lose another division game at home.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 am

The wildcat wasn't ran a single time yesterday. Jake Long was always on the left indicating it was the spread ...ala Pat White last season. The only difference is RB is now the QB in the formation.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]