All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27416
Location: Miami, FL
The Good

Against a bad team, but the offense was effective today, going 8 of 14 on third downs, scoring 3 TDs, gaining 388 yards, controlling the time of possession with 33:35 minutes of ball control.

The 65-yard TD was Tua to Hollins was the longest pass of Tua's career, and I am willing to bet the longest play from scrimmage for the Dolphins this year. The ball was a little late, as Tua was trying to evade pressure to get the pass off, but Hollins was so wide open that it didn't matter. It would have been nice for the Dolphins to exploit more of these busted coverages that seem to happen frequently to a young Jets secondary.

I do like the versatility and playmaking we are seeing from the Dolphins safeties. This week, Brandon Jones got the sack and forced Joe Flacco to fumble. Christian Wilkins recovered and fumbled and ultimately Jevon Holland came up with the ball. These guys are also able to line up right on the line of scrimmage to show zero blitz and get back deep once the play begins. This in combination with good cover corners is what gives the Dolphins the ability to blitz wantonly.

The Bad

The offensive line continues to be an atrocious unit for the Dolphins. They have shown no improvement this year and have actually considerably regressed. That top-rated young talent keeps coming to the Dolphins at this position and get worse speaks to coaching. Top offseason priority should be to acquire an offensive line coach that know what he is doing and bring in some veteran talent that can lead the unit on the field.

The Ugly

Tua once again put up a nice stat line, 27 of 33 for 273 yards and 2 TD. He was not sacked. But he threw an ugly interception that the Jets turned into a touchdown a few minutes later. Tua has to clean up that one or two boneheaded throws a game, but these are to be expected with a young player. I would like to see more aggressiveness from him and we did see that later in the game. Obviously it is a challenge to attack the defense deep because those throws typically require more time in the pocket and the Dolphins offensive line is unable to consistently produce a pocket.

Overall

The Dolphins are on a 3-game winning streak and building that case that Flores should get at least one more season. The team is definitely playing better, which begs the question - where was this at the beginning of the season? Against teams like the Jaguars and Falcons which should have been wins?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
Rich wrote:
The Ugly

Tua once again put up a nice stat line, 27 of 33 for 273 yards and 2 TD. He was not sacked. But he threw an ugly interception that the Jets turned into a touchdown a few minutes later. Tua has to clean up that one or two boneheaded throws a game, but these are to be expected with a young player. I would like to see more aggressiveness from him and we did see that later in the game. Obviously it is a challenge to attack the defense deep because those throws typically require more time in the pocket and the Dolphins offensive line is unable to consistently produce a pocket.

Qbs throw Int regardless of who the Qb happens to be. The reason it turned into a TD was a 39 yd run given up by the D.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:14 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2741
Yay….Miami climbs out of the cellar with a win over the pathetic J E T S Jets.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
Phinished wrote:
Yay….Miami climbs out of the cellar with a win over the pathetic J E T S Jets.

I know you are disappointed Miami won. As Aqnor said. Some are just that invested.

In NY. Miami is something like 19-24 since 1978. A win in NY is precious for Miami. I've watch quality teams go to NY and lay an egg, so I'm taking the win and celebrating they handled what they were supposed to handle.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:07 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13305
Location: MA
Nice write up Rich.

I only saw the highlights from yesterday's game.

Sounds like the defense did its job and Miami decided to get at the Jets' weakness - run defense. Gaskin getting 23 carries surprised me.

As for the OL, only Robert Hunt should be guaranteed a spot next year. I'd give Eichenberg a chance to compete for the LG job. I'm with you on new coaches and some veterans as short term fixes for the edges.

I like what I saw from Tua in the highlights, but my guess is he is not doing enough to dissuade Captain Star Bleeper from seeking an upgrade.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7524
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Davie needs to go on an OL pilgrimage somewhere and walk down every side street of America until they find a capable coach.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
jammer wrote:
I'd give Eichenberg a chance to compete for the LG job. I'm with you on new coaches and some veterans as short term fixes for the edges.
Many projected Eich to be a RT in the NFL. Miami has a 3rd Rd. rookie trying to handle teams best PRs.

jammer wrote:
I like what I saw from Tua in the highlights, but my guess is he is not doing enough to dissuade Captain Star Bleeper from seeking an upgrade.
Some simplistic minds have been made up the moment he was drafted and no matter how Tua performs, he sucks.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7328
Location: El Paso, TX.
The Bad and Ugly.....Dolphins run game or lack there of.

Gaskin seems to be a bit hesitant while hitting the hole. This team needs a back that can fall forward for 1 to 2 yards after contact.

_________________
RIP Tom
RIP Tone


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
The Hen wrote:
Gaskin seems to be a bit hesitant while hitting the hole.

Probably looking for the largest of the small holes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7524
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Davie needs to go on an OL pilgrimage somewhere and walk down every side street of America until they find a capable coach.


In reply to my own comment, what about Samoa? They could film a pitiful hard knocks episode sending our brilliant OL guys to Samoa to find that gem. I’m not talking linemen, talking coaches

:haha

They could bring all the coke with they wanted

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27416
Location: Miami, FL
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:
The Ugly

Tua once again put up a nice stat line, 27 of 33 for 273 yards and 2 TD. He was not sacked. But he threw an ugly interception that the Jets turned into a touchdown a few minutes later. Tua has to clean up that one or two boneheaded throws a game, but these are to be expected with a young player. I would like to see more aggressiveness from him and we did see that later in the game. Obviously it is a challenge to attack the defense deep because those throws typically require more time in the pocket and the Dolphins offensive line is unable to consistently produce a pocket.

Qbs throw Int regardless of who the Qb happens to be. The reason it turned into a TD was a 39 yd run given up by the D.


Yes, but in this case it was a headscratcher throw and he has at least one of those per game. Something for him to clean up.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27416
Location: Miami, FL
The Hen wrote:
Gaskin seems to be a bit hesitant while hitting the hole.


Any running back would hesitate to hit a hole being filled by opposing jerseys.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Gaskin seems to be a bit hesitant while hitting the hole.


Any running back would hesitate to hit a hole being filled by opposing jerseys.


:haha

There weren't many "holes". Somehow I get the feeling that what this group of offensive linemen lack are the fundamentals.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9990
Great post Rich. The boneheaded throws reminds me of RT. We must be more aggressive or teams going to stack the line and stop the short passes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
Makchell wrote:
The boneheaded throws reminds me of RT.
Here we go.


Makchell wrote:
We must be more aggressive or teams going to stack the line and stop the short passes.
NE has done it for two decades. Why have they not been stopped?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9990
Well Scot if you are happy with the team and the QB then more power to you.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
Makchell wrote:
Well Scot if you are happy with the team and the QB then more power to you.

Happy with the Qb. I just do not see the reason to sit around wallowing in misery and looking for a play here and there to hate on a player..

Not one time did I state I am happy with the team, this team has done everything it can to make the Qb fail and he is still succeeding, when lesser QBs would have folded up shop and failed. I think I have been very clear the Wr corp is a joke. Outside the misused Waddle, can anyone name one positive thing they have done to put Tua in a place to succeed?

I do not sit around looking at other teams players and drool over them. They are irreverent to myself.

I've stated it prior. No one hated the Ginn pick more than myself. However, after the initial disappointment I wanted to be wrong about him. Actually desired the chance to go. Welp, I was wrong on him. I never came around and dogged him, because his success meant good things for Miami and that is what I wanted, not to be right.

I do not see a reason to cheer against the pilot of the plane.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2741
Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:
The boneheaded throws reminds me of RT.
Here we go.


Makchell wrote:
We must be more aggressive or teams going to stack the line and stop the short passes.
NE has done it for two decades. Why have they not been stopped?


I have seen teams shut it down…but Bellicheat knows how to make adjustments….

In the first half of the Super Bowl against the Falcons, Atlanta stuffed Brady and his pals. They held his receivers off the line and took the penalties….but they hit Brady hard over and over and had him rattled. They got a big lead, but backed off this strategy in the second half. I have always presumed it was Bellicheat’s adjustments that got them away from that very successful game plan.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:20 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9990
That’s my point Scor. NE had a QB.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Raleigh, NC
Nice job, Rich!

Rich wrote:
It would have been nice for the Dolphins to exploit more of these busted coverages that seem to happen frequently to a young Jets secondary.


Even though there were still breakdowns along the OL, they did block better and I think I read that Tua only had 7 pressures. This would have been a great game for the OCs to open up the playbook downfield and see what the Dolphins are capable of against that very young secondary. I consider it an opportunity lost here.


Rich wrote:
I do like the versatility and playmaking we are seeing from the Dolphins safeties. This week, Brandon Jones got the sack and forced Joe Flacco to fumble. Christian Wilkins recovered and fumbled and ultimately Jevon Holland came up with the ball. These guys are also able to line up right on the line of scrimmage to show zero blitz and get back deep once the play begins. This in combination with good cover corners is what gives the Dolphins the ability to blitz wantonly.?


What I like about this defense is its ability to change based on the opponent. That is one thing I always liked about Belicheat's defenses and it's having smart and well-coached players. While Grier seems to have whiffed on offensive line talent, he has scored well with other positions in the draft.


Rich wrote:
The Dolphins are on a 3-game winning streak and building that case that Flores should get at least one more season.


I am open to it if they can continue to play competitively. I wonder if Ross will expect a winning season, but at the same time, he knew it would be a slow recovery from "the tank" and why he gave Flores an extra year on his contract when he signed him and talked him into coaching that mess.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7940
Makchell wrote:
That’s my point Scot. NE had a QB.

Yes, Tom Brady was his name. A lot of people think he is the best ever. I do not share that assessment.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Raleigh, NC
jammer wrote:
Sounds like the defense did its job and Miami decided to get at the Jets' weakness - run defense. Gaskin getting 23 carries surprised me.


I'd like to see his numbers, because Gaskin kept getting first downs as we used him to run out the clock on our last drive. He ran well.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ
2020 Phinfever T-Rock FFL Champ

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 493
Location: Princeton,IL
Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
Sounds like the defense did its job and Miami decided to get at the Jets' weakness - run defense. Gaskin getting 23 carries surprised me.


I'd like to see his numbers, because Gaskin kept getting first downs as we used him to run out the clock on our last drive. He ran well.







Gaskin, Myles
MIA RB
MIA 24 @ NYJ 17
Final
Rush: 23/89; Rec: 3/7, 1 ReTD (5)


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23165
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinsforever wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:
Sounds like the defense did its job and Miami decided to get at the Jets' weakness - run defense. Gaskin getting 23 carries surprised me.


I'd like to see his numbers, because Gaskin kept getting first downs as we used him to run out the clock on our last drive. He ran well.





Gaskin, Myles
MIA RB
MIA 24 @ NYJ 17
Final
Rush: 23/89; Rec: 3/7, 1 ReTD (5)


So, here is our last drive where the Dolphins ate up 6:53 and only left less than 2 minutes in the game. Excellent work by the offense.

M.Gaskin left guard to NYJ 49 for 2 yards
Tagovailoa pass short left to D.Smythe to NYJ 42 for 7 yards.
Direct snap to M.Gaskin. M.Gaskin left guard to NYJ 38 for 4 yards.
M.Gaskin right guard to NYJ 35 for 3 yards.
D.Johnson left tackle to NYJ 31 for 4 yards).
T.Tagovailoa sacked at NYJ 40 for -9 yards . PENALTY on NYJ-
D.Johnson right guard to NYJ 20 for 6 yards.
D.Johnson left guard to NYJ 17 for 3 yards.
T.Tagovailoa pass short left to J.Waddle pushed ob at NYJ 11 for 6 yards.
M.Gaskin up the middle to NYJ 8 for 3 yards.
M.Gaskin left guard to NYJ 2 for 6 yards.
Direct snap to M.Gaskin. M.Gaskin left guard to NYJ 2 for no gain.
** Two-Minute Warning
PENALTY on MIA, Delay of Game, 4 yards, enforced at NYJ 2 - No Play.
Jason Sanders 24 Yd Field Goal

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r