Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

The Good

Duke Johnson has been quite a find for the Dolphins. 117 yards on the ground and a touchdown. The Dolphins running game was very productive gaining 195 yards on the ground (38 of these gained by Tua).

Xavien Howard ends the season with a bang, picking off a Mac Jones pass for a touchdown.

The Bad

The offensive line was so bad in pass protection, that on obvious passing downs there was almost no hope that the offense would be able to convert.

The Ugly

The passing game started off well, but once Bellicheck figured out how to stop the short, quick passes, it went downhill. Obviously this is mostly a byproduct of the Dolphins offensive line being unable to consistently pass protect. It was clear on obvious passing plays (for example, plays with empty backfield) that the Dolphins offensive line would not be able to hold up. Conversely, you often (not always) saw Mac Jones get enough time to throw on obvious passing situations once the Patriots figured out how to counter the Dolphins pressure.

Overall

Two winning seasons in a row, but two season where we miss the playoffs. It is clear to me that the highest priority on this team is the offensive line. It doesn't have to be an elite offensive line, just an effective one. This offensive line is ranked 32nd in pass protection and 31st in run blocking (surprising there is one worse than the Dolphins at run blocking). Four out of the five players are replaceable. At one point in the season, the top three worst players in pressures allowed were Dolphins offensive linemen (Eich, Jackson, Davis). I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I am sure those guys are still near the top of the list.

If the Dolphins could field even an average offensive line, I believe the entire offense would be significantly more productive. The lack of pass protection severely limits the Dolphins passing game. Everything is based on RPO and short quick passes. At some point, to win a game, an offense must be able to run pro pass sets in obvious passing situations. The offensive line must be able to afford the quarterback a clean pocket from which to throw to in order to convert obvious passing third downs. The offensive line must open holes for running backs in obvious running situations as well. The RPO affords an effective but limited option to mask offensive line deficiencies. At the end of the day, a team needs to be able to block to win.

Unfortunately, all of the chatter points to the Dolphins going after a quarterback facing a significant number of sexual assault allegations (Deshaun Watson). As a back-up plan, there are rumors that they could go after a 34-year old stat-padder (Kirk Cousins). Instead of effectively addressing an issue that has plagued the Dolphins for over a decade, they will most likely throw money and picks at a high risk player that might not even suit up. I hope that turns out not to be the case. I would rather see Tua get an opportunity with better surrounding talent and draft competition for him.

Until next season....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 am 

Thanks Rich, good write up per usual. You provided a beneficial take all year long on the Phins and your time and effort is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Nice work as always.

I think people will get their wish to see another year of Tua.

Now that Flores (and probably his entire staff) are gone, there could be big changes coming to personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent read, as always, Rich.

Rich wrote:
Duke Johnson has been quite a find for the Dolphins. 117 yards on the ground and a touchdown. The Dolphins running game was very productive gaining 195 yards on the ground (38 of these gained by Tua).

This offense reminds me of college kids. They dress according to yesterday's weather rather than check the weather for the day. If the Dolphins had run Duke last week, the game wouldn't have gone out of hand. The coaches heard everyone's criticism at the lack of use of Duke and the running game, so, they went run heavy this week.

Rich wrote:
The passing game started off well, but once Bellicheck figured out how to stop the short, quick passes, it went downhill. Obviously this is mostly a byproduct of the Dolphins offensive line being unable to consistently pass protect. It was clear on obvious passing plays (for example, plays with empty backfield) that the Dolphins offensive line would not be able to hold up. Conversely, you often (not always) saw Mac Jones get enough time to throw on obvious passing situations once the Patriots figured out how to counter the Dolphins pressure..

I thought the Dolphins played the 4th quarter less aggressively once they got the big lead which makes me wonder why this defense cannot stop the pass in a normal defense. As far as Tua, I think we need a hypnotist on the sideline before each series either telling him that it is the first series of the game or that he just threw an interception. He gets the ball down the field in those situations for some reason. The talent is there. We just need to rework the OL, get a #2 WR, and a #1 three down back to help take the pressure off of him. He has shown that the talent is there, but his mind is handicapped by what he has to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 am 

Tua scares me with some of his throws. The Pats DBs had brick hands yesterday. Maybe a new coach can help him grow. Cousins is not the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:42 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Amazing pickup with Duke Johnson. That's the third time in the past ten years the Dolphins have had a RB that went to high school in Miami and played their college ball at the University of Miami.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Two things I really loved out of this win…..

Duke Johnson played his a$$ off and led this offense to victory. Without him, I think the team would have lost the game.

Tua really had a subpar game passing the ball, but on two plays he ran with confidence and used his feet to keep drives alive. This has been mostly missing from his game and I think it was a clear sign that he is on the rise as a team leader.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Phinished wrote:
Two things I really loved out of this win…..

Duke Johnson played his a$$ off and led this offense to victory. Without him, I think the team would have lost the game.

Tua really had a subpar game passing the ball, but on two plays he ran with confidence and used his feet to keep drives alive. This has been mostly missing from his game and I think it was a clear sign that he is on the rise as a team leader.

Miami should pair Duke Johnson with a good rookie and move forward. Gaskin moves to 3rd down/receiving back and must sharpen up his blocking.

I'm going to soften my criticism of Tua a bit in light of all the Flores info coming out today. I can't imagine working for a guy you know A. Doesn't believe in you B. Was openly trying to get rid of you C. Kept delaying your play time due to "injury" to engineer a faster trade

Tua has things he can build on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
At some point, to win a game, an offense must be able to run pro pass sets in obvious passing situations. The offensive line must be able to afford the quarterback a clean pocket from which to throw to in order to convert obvious passing third downs. The offensive line must open holes for running backs in obvious running situations as well. The RPO affords an effective but limited option to mask offensive line deficiencies. At the end of the day, a team needs to be able to block to win.

This team had worst prospects going into a playoff season than Pittsburgh. I’ve said for months now how unimpressed opposing DC’s must be game planning against this offense.

This offense is like a little tricycle while 2/3rds of the league are on motorcycles.

Rich wrote:
Unfortunately, all of the chatter points to the Dolphins going after a quarterback facing a significant number of sexual assault allegations (Deshaun Watson). As a back-up plan, there are rumors that they could go after a 34-year old stat-padder (Kirk Cousins). Instead of effectively addressing an issue that has plagued the Dolphins for over a decade, they will most likely throw money and picks at a high risk player that might not even suit up. I hope that turns out not to be the case. I would rather see Tua get an opportunity with better surrounding talent and draft competition for him.

Until next season....

Sorry. I don’t buy it. Tua stays in Miami 2022.

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Amazing pickup with Duke Johnson. That's the third time in the past ten years the Dolphins have had a RB that went to high school in Miami and played their college ball at the University of Miami.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:50 pm 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Just rewatched Tua's throws from yesterday. He played a lot better than we think. Couple of drops hurt him. The clutch 3rd down runs, as Phinished has consistently pointed out, really showed a new possibility for what Tua can offer when the play breaks down.

Even the bad throw to Parker seemed to be a timing issue.

His two deep throws for the end zone were on the money. Parker didn't fight for one and Hollins still almost made the catch on the other (PI was called).

I agree with East. Now that we know it was Flores gunning for Watson (or he is their fall guy for the mess), I think it will be Tua unless one of Rodgers or Wilson wants to be in Miami. And some type of major coaching hire could make that possible.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]