All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tua downfield passing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27618
Location: Miami, FL
Interesting look at his downfield work.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeForder3/statu ... 35040?s=20


_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 10117
I like the comment about Davante Adams landing in Miami.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am
Posts: 157
Rich wrote:
Interesting look at his downfield work.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeForder3/statu ... 35040?s=20


Give me the synopsis of wise one.

A) Tua sucks and it’sall his fault.
B) Tua is mediocre and his WR can’t get open
C) Tua is on point and his WR suck


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 4061
D) Tua shows outstanding promise but needs support and development (coaching) and hasn't gotten it


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:34 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2842
….and in that same thread…

“ And like a lot of people have asked and
@corey_march1
pointed out, Tua pushed the ball downfield at a low rate. Does that come down to coaching, Tua, or the line? Probably a combination of all 3”


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27618
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
….and in that same thread…

“ And like a lot of people have asked and
@corey_march1
pointed out, Tua pushed the ball downfield at a low rate. Does that come down to coaching, Tua, or the line? Probably a combination of all 3”

Worst offensive line since God and the Big Bang got together and made stuff happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23776
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
….and in that same thread…

“ And like a lot of people have asked and
@corey_march1
pointed out, Tua pushed the ball downfield at a low rate. Does that come down to coaching, Tua, or the line? Probably a combination of all 3”

Worst offensive line since God and the Big Bang got together and made stuff happen.


One thing I also notice is that he has to fit the ball into a very tight area as there is no separation on most of those passes in that clip.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:46 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
I don't doubt Tua's deep ball accuracy. Matt Moore was the same - one of the prettiest, most accurate deep balls.

Its having the arm to rip the intermediate throws that have gotten both in trouble.

If it is mechanics with Tua that can be corrected with better line play then great, he'll be a nice QB.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27618
Location: Miami, FL
jammer wrote:
I don't doubt Tua's deep ball accuracy. Matt Moore was the same - one of the prettiest, most accurate deep balls.

Its having the arm to rip the intermediate throws that have gotten both in trouble.

If it is mechanics with Tua that can be corrected with better line play then great, he'll be a nice QB.


The videos show him making some of those throws like the digs and deep crossers.

If anything, his issues with intermediate throws seemed to be overthrows. Also, there are several instances where it appeared the WR and QB were not on the same page.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Rich wrote:
If anything, his issues with intermediate throws seemed to be overthrows. Also, there are several instances where it appeared the WR and QB were not on the same page.


So I'll go back to mechanics. If it is cleaning things up because of rushing throws in anticipation of being hit then Tua will be fine.

If it is something like overcompensating to put mustard on a throw because hip/arm isn't right, well we may have a problem.

He is Miami's starter going into 2022 so we'll know soon enough if he can make improvements.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:31 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2842
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
….and in that same thread…

“ And like a lot of people have asked and
@corey_march1
pointed out, Tua pushed the ball downfield at a low rate. Does that come down to coaching, Tua, or the line? Probably a combination of all 3”

Worst offensive line since God and the Big Bang got together and made stuff happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I tend to believe coaching was the biggest problem, but I also do not believe Austin Jackson can be coached by anyone.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:34 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2842
Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
….and in that same thread…

“ And like a lot of people have asked and
@corey_march1
pointed out, Tua pushed the ball downfield at a low rate. Does that come down to coaching, Tua, or the line? Probably a combination of all 3”

Worst offensive line since God and the Big Bang got together and made stuff happen.


One thing I also notice is that he has to fit the ball into a very tight area as there is no separation on most of those passes in that clip.


Yet Waddle was supposedly able to create huge separation….and yards after the catch. I think he averaged over 12 YAC at Alabama, but 5 in the NFL. Could it be the plays and schemes the coaches are calling? We see opponents with receivers running free quite often…..


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27618
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
Yet Waddle was supposedly able to create huge separation….and yards after the catch. I think he averaged over 12 YAC at Alabama, but 5 in the NFL. Could it be the plays and schemes the coaches are calling? We see opponents with receivers running free quite often…..


Yep, it seems they did a poor job of getting Waddle in space further than 8 yards downfield.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:45 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 10117
If Tua was throwing in 2sec, Waddle would have to be like lightning.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 452
Location: Willis VA
Makchell wrote:
If Tua was throwing in 2sec, Waddle would have to be like lightning.


I've thought the same thing when we talk about Miami's receivers not getting any separation, having a decent line would have to help.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 23776
Location: Raleigh, NC
There has been a lot of predraft talk that Tua could be a future Drew Brees. We don't know that, but it is worth a comparison.

twitter wrote:
Tua Tagovailoa 2nd Year vs Drew Brees 2nd Year

Chargers / Saints Drew Brees (16 games)
60.8%, 205 YPG, 6.2 Y/A, 17 TD’s, 16 INT’s, 76.9 passer rating

Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa (12 games)
67.8%, 221 YPG, 6.8 Y/A, 16 TD’s, 10 INT’s, 90.1 passer rating


https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1486440110631657475

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 13482
Location: MA
Big Dave wrote:
There has been a lot of predraft talk that Tua could be a future Drew Brees. We don't know that, but it is worth a comparison.

twitter wrote:
Tua Tagovailoa 2nd Year vs Drew Brees 2nd Year

Chargers / Saints Drew Brees (16 games)
60.8%, 205 YPG, 6.2 Y/A, 17 TD’s, 16 INT’s, 76.9 passer rating

Miami Dolphins Tua Tagovailoa (12 games)
67.8%, 221 YPG, 6.8 Y/A, 16 TD’s, 10 INT’s, 90.1 passer rating


https://twitter.com/nflrums/status/1486440110631657475


If you rearrange numbers to accommodate the different eras then it lines up.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r