Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

The Good

It's honestly kind of hard to write this up given last night's events. Last night turned out to be more about an individual who suffered a scary injury than a game. So the good news is that, Tua was discharged from the hospital and got to travel back with his team mates. He had movement in all his extremities. Here's hoping the team and the player both take the right path on his recovery.

Tyreek Hill was explosive with 10 catches for 160 yards.

I felt the Dolphins defense played well given the injury situation in the secondary with Xavien Howard playing through a groin injury and Byron Jones being out. Also given how many snaps they played the week before and on a shot turnaround. They absolutely stuffed the run as the Bengals only gained 67 yards for a 2.2 YPC clip. The Bengals had 14 points through 3 quarters and the defense had to overcome 2 turnovers by the offense.

The Bad

It is the first loss of the season and it happened in a terrible way, with Tua Tagovailoa coming out of the game after a scary hit. Some people have said the play by Josh Tupou was dirty. I disagree. I think he was working his but off to make a play and given the angle and momentum, it was just an unfortunate result.

The Ugly

Teddy Bridgewater played better than his short stint against Buffalo, but he was off on some throws, including the interception late in the game. Obviously he probably didn't practice much this week and hasn't developed chemistry with the first team receivers. It's looking like he will have an opportunity to do that now as I expect Tua to miss at least a couple of games after the concussion.

You can also tell McDaniel didn't trust Bridgewater against the Bengals. The playcalls went very conservative as the Dolphins ran the ball more (and were actually somewhat effective) or went to safer plays. When the play did call for Bridgewater to make a play, the results were mixed, so perhaps McDaniel had good reason for this. Honestly, purely speculative here but I also think McDaniel was impacted by the injury to Tua and didn't seem like the same guy on that sideline the rest of the game.

Overall

There will be a lot of second-guessing by the medical "experts" on Twitter. Did the Dolphins cover up a concussion against the Bills? Should McDaniel have allowed Tua to play? Most people don't seem to know that, against the Bills, Tua had to be cleared by an independent neurologist and he would have been evaluated throughout the week for a concussion. According to the medical experts that were in the room, he did not have a concussion. I could be wrong, but I don't see McDaniel as the type to try to influence the situation if one of his players is at risk. All this irresponsible speculation by people who don't know what they are talking about is dangerous, but it seems to be the way of the world. Eventually, the facts will come out, but people seem incapable of waiting for that to happen.

As for the Dolphins, they are 3-1. No one saw this happening. So they are in a better spot than expected. And the schedule lightens up considerably from the murderer's row of teams they just faced (3 Superbowl contenders in a row). But Tua will most likely be out against the Jets. The Dolphins will need to change their approach to a more run-heavy offense and utilize Bridgewater as a game manager. Hopefully, the team doesn't play down to the competition as they have done in past seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:04 am 

Rich wrote:
The Good

It's honestly kind of hard to write this up given last night's events. Last night turned out to be more about an individual who suffered a scary injury than a game. So the good news is that, Tua was discharged from the hospital and got to travel back with his team mates. He had movement in all his extremities. Here's hoping the team and the player both take the right path on his recovery.

Tyreek Hill was explosive with 10 catches for 160 yards.

I felt the Dolphins defense played well given the injury situation in the secondary with Xavien Howard playing through a groin injury and Byron Jones being out. Also given how many snaps they played the week before and on a shot turnaround. They absolutely stuffed the run as the Bengals only gained 67 yards for a 2.2 YPC clip. The Bengals had 14 points through 3 quarters and the defense had to overcome 2 turnovers by the offense.

The Bad

It is the first loss of the season and it happened in a terrible way, with Tua Tagovailoa coming out of the game after a scary hit. Some people have said the play by Josh Tupou was dirty. I disagree. I think he was working his but off to make a play and given the angle and momentum, it was just an unfortunate result.

The Ugly

Teddy Bridgewater played better than his short stint against Buffalo, but he was off on some throws, including the interception late in the game. Obviously he probably didn't practice much this week and hasn't developed chemistry with the first team receivers. It's looking like he will have an opportunity to do that now as I expect Tua to miss at least a couple of games after the concussion.

You can also tell McDaniel didn't trust Bridgewater against the Bengals. The playcalls went very conservative as the Dolphins ran the ball more (and were actually somewhat effective) or went to safer plays. When the play did call for Bridgewater to make a play, the results were mixed, so perhaps McDaniel had good reason for this. Honestly, purely speculative here but I also think McDaniel was impacted by the injury to Tua and didn't seem like the same guy on that sideline the rest of the game.

Overall

There will be a lot of second-guessing by the medical "experts" on Twitter. Did the Dolphins cover up a concussion against the Bills? Should McDaniel have allowed Tua to play? Most people don't seem to know that, against the Bills, Tua had to be cleared by an independent neurologist and he would have been evaluated throughout the week for a concussion. According to the medical experts that were in the room, he did not have a concussion. I could be wrong, but I don't see McDaniel as the type to try to influence the situation if one of his players is at risk. All this irresponsible speculation by people who don't know what they are talking about is dangerous, but it seems to be the way of the world. Eventually, the facts will come out, but people seem incapable of waiting for that to happen.

As for the Dolphins, they are 3-1. No one saw this happening. So they are in a better spot than expected. And the schedule lightens up considerably from the murderer's row of teams they just faced (3 Superbowl contenders in a row). But Tua will most likely be out against the Jets. The Dolphins will need to change their approach to a more run-heavy offense and utilize Bridgewater as a game manager. Hopefully, the team doesn't play down to the competition as they have done in past seasons.

Good write up thanks.

Did you weather the storm ok?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I felt the Dolphins defense played well given the injury situation in the secondary with Xavien Howard playing through a groin injury and Byron Jones *being on vacation*.

Fixed.

Byron “Clark Griswold” Jones is apparently filming an entirely new trilogy this time.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am 

AQNOR wrote:
Did you weather the storm ok?

Yep, no power yesterday until last night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Nice job, Rich!

Rich wrote:
Some people have said the play by Josh Tupou was dirty. I disagree. I think he was working his but off to make a play and given the angle and momentum, it was just an unfortunate result.

Tua has always been slippery in the pocket, so, I was surprised that Tupou had him. While he did throw him hard to the ground, I have seen other QBs go through worse and get back up. I would like to see Tupou get the book thrown at him for it as it seems we Dolfans can never have anything nice, but it was all in the work to get to Tua. I am sure he felt bad about it.

Rich wrote:

He looked surprisingly good on a few of this throws, but he seems more of a game manager to me than someone that can take a team on his shoulders and get them back in the game. That was a bad throw and decision on that INT which kept us from taking the lead. Instead, it made the loss look worse on the scoreboard than it was.

I know we all want to see what Skylar Thompson can do as he was impressive in the preseason facing backups and many players who are no longer on a team, so, maybe we should temper our excitement as he is inexperienced. It would be good to see what he can do on a few series, but as they always say, if you are down to your third QB your season is pretty much over.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:48 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Teddy Bridgewater played better than his short stint against Buffalo, but he was off on some throws, including the interception late in the game.

I wonder how many times passes are intercepted trying to get the ball to Gesicki? It seems to be more than other receivers.

I don't know what was going on during this play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:10 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
I could be wrong, but I don't see McDaniel as the type to try to influence the situation if one of his players is at risk.

I don't see McDaniel as that type either. But Ross on the other hand.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:
Teddy Bridgewater played better than his short stint against Buffalo, but he was off on some throws, including the interception late in the game.

I wonder how many times passes are intercepted trying to get the ball to Gesicki? It seems to be more than other receivers.

I don't know what was going on during this play.

That throw was just stupid. Even if they are not on the same page, it is not hard to see which way the rather tall Gesicki is running….just a bad throw.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:28 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
That throw was just stupid. Even if they are not on the same page, it is not hard to see which way the rather tall Gesicki is running….just a bad throw.

BTW, no one noticed that he did not catch it as it hit the ground. I wish we'd seen it to challenge it. The game could have ended differently.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

BTW, no one noticed that he did not catch it as it hit the ground. I wish we'd seen it to challenge it. The game could have ended differently.

Yeah….pretty clear in that replay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Add the lack of challenge to the bad. No excuse for missing that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:11 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I remember watching it on my tv and it seemed like he pressed it up against his thigh.
I will agree though, it looks much closer this time I see it. At the very least, was worth a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:02 am 

marc23 wrote:
I remember watching it on my tv and it seemed like he pressed it up against his thigh.
I will agree though, it looks much closer this time I see it. At the very least, was worth a challenge.

McDaniel's head seemed to kinda be out of the game at this point. The Tua injury affected him quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:04 am 
Phinfever Draft Analyst
Phinfever Draft Analyst

Rich wrote:
Hopefully, the team doesn't play down to the competition as they have done in past seasons.

I am a bit concerned about this going into Sunday. Sounds like a wise idea to have Tua sit out and take extra time to heal.

Hopefully McDaniel has a read on Saleh from the time they spent together in SF.

As of now Vegas odds makers have Miami as 3 point favorites.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:52 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Jets got hot on offense in the 4th quarter this week…. I would have thought Miami’s offense would light the Jests up, but I am not too excited about the Teddy Bridgewater era. Sanders need to be on fire this week.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]