View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Dolphins draft picks Matt Roth and Ted Ginn paying off …. 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins draft picks Matt Roth and Ted Ginn paying off ….
Quote:
Dolphins draft picks Matt Roth and Ted Ginn paying off …. for other teams
by Ben Volin
Two of the Dolphins’ biggest issues this season have been finding a permanent kickoff returner and getting pressure on the quarterback.

And two of their top former draft picks are excelling in just those areas — for other teams, of course.

Cleveland outside linebacker Matt Roth, the Dolphins’ second-round pick in 2005 who was curiously waived last November following a dispute with the team over a groin injury, is having a Pro Bowl-type season, according to the stat heads over at ProFootballfocus.com.

And Ted Ginn Jr., the 2007 first-round pick who was traded to San Francisco this offseason for a fifth-round pick, had a dynamic game last night for the 49ers, averaging 36 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 61-yard return late in the fourth quarter to set up a crucial late touchdown for the offense.

The team has not been able to identify a regular kickoff returner since discarding Ginn, who, despite all his faults (and there are many, we haven’t forgotten), still had the eighth-best kickoff return average last year (24.9) among players with 30 or more attempts, and was tied for sixth in the NFL with four returns over 40 yards.

Roth had 53 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles in 2008, his last full year with the Dolphins. Is there anyone out there who would rather have Quentin Moses on this roster (seven tackles, zero sacks) instead of Roth, who was discarded for nothing?

And Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland should be asking himself this morning — “Was trading Ginn worth it?” Ginn never would have been a No. 1 receiver in Miami, and he frustrated fans, coaches and teammates with his aversion to taking contact. But Carroll, the player drafted by the Dolphins with the fifth-round pick they obtained in the Ginn trade, has all of one tackle so far this season and was made inactive for the Minnesota game.

Would the Dolphins’ record be better than 2-2 if they still had Ginn and Roth? That’s debatable. But could the Dolphins use a dynamic pass rusher and an explosive kickoff returner right now? No doubt about it.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... her-teams/

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins draft picks Matt Roth and Ted Ginn paying off ….
Quote:
Hyde5: This Ted Ginn would look good as Dolphin
By Dave Hyde October 10, 2010 11:14 PMI talked with a scout last week who said the Dolphins lacked a deep receiving threat and you'd see safeties creeping up a couple steps as the year goes on to (a) squeeze the middle of the field where Brandon Marshall does his best work, and (b) be a step or two closer for run support.

"I hate to say who they could use," the scout said.

"Who?" I said.

"Ted Ginn."

Sunday night, Ginn was healthy for the first time with San Francisco.. And this scout is right. There was GInn running deep behind the Philadelphia safeties in the fourth quarter. QB Alex Smith didn't see him, but Ginn contributed two catches for 27 yards in a more fitting role as a down-the-line option (Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore ...) in which his speed can keep defenses honest.

The other role he fits perfectly in San Francisco is as the return man. No surprise there. Sunday night, he returned kickoffs 44, 23, 35 and 61 yards. What's more, he wasn't running out of bounds (though he did on the final punt of the game.) All of those kickoff returns were more than the 20th-ranked Dolphins' average of 21.6 yards.

"So another big runback for Ted Ginn,'' Al Michaels said after Ginn's 61-yard return set up a San Francisco touchdown that brought the 49ers back to 27-24.
"There's just no way to defense this kind of speed,'' Cris Collinsworth said.

Every team makes personnel mistakes. The mystiffying aspect of the Parcells regime is dumping known quantities for little - a fifth-round pick in Ginn's case. Ginn had big issues with the Dolphins - everyone knew and was infuriated by them at times - but this diminished role like the one San Francisco has him is perfect.

So lump Ginn with Matt Roth as a something-for-nothing deal by the Parcellsians. Cleveland has gone from one of the worst run defenses to one of the best since Roth was added. And I still don't understand why he was released for nothing. His value: A second-round pick, considering that's what the Dolphins spent on Koa Misi to try and replace Roth.

2. The second half of the Dolphins schedule was supposed to be soft. Look at three of those softies: Chicago (4-1) beat Carolina; Oakland (2-3) beat San Diego; and even Detroit (1-4) whipped St. Louis.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I would have liked to keep Ginn, but it's in the past now... over and done with.

I'm more saddened to see Carroll not doing so hot after a great offseason... would like to see him get back into the swing of things!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think a 5th was good valule for Ginn.
We coulda/woulda/shoulda gotten something for Roth.

But saying coulda/woulda/shoulda is worthless

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I wish both were on the team still. I know that is not a popular position on this forum, but they both had more value than we received in return for them. I would rather have Ginn on the roster than Wallace, and Roth more than Moses.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Not on the stat sheet....Smith was intercepted because Ginn watched a defender catch the ball in front of him last week(seen that before).......Non cap year i think we also saved money on Ginn...He is just to much of a puss for Parcells..

Matt Roth is very average......Playing on the worse team in the league

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:
Not on the stat sheet....Smith was intercepted because Ginn watched a defender catch the ball in front of him last week(seen that before).......Non cap year i think we also saved money on Ginn...He is just to much of a puss for Parcells..

Matt Roth is very average......Playing on the worse team in the league

Uhhhh Ginn played for the first time this past Sunday.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
I wish both were on the team still. I know that is not a popular position on this forum, but they both had more value than we received in return for them. I would rather have Ginn on the roster than Wallace, and Roth more than Moses.

Right now, so do I.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Letting go of Roth was a stupid move; regardless of what he did.

My response regarding Ginn?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Let's all remember Ted Ginn's one good game returning kicks and then the rest of the season playing pretty terrible.

Matt Roth I would have liked to have kept...I liked him. I think Ike can play the same role he would be playing when he gets healthy, however.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...Ginn sure is paying off. They have a solid 0 wins this season.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

"Matt Roth is very average......Playing on the worse team in the league" Right now, he's outplaying everyone on our defense so what does that say. I've said from day 1 that you don't jettison Roth and then turn around and get rid of both Porter and Taylor. Miami did and is paying the price.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
"Matt Roth is very average......Playing on the worse team in the league" Right now, he's outplaying everyone on our defense so what does that say. I've said from day 1 that you don't jettison Roth and then turn around and get rid of both Porter and Taylor. Miami did and is paying the price.

It's not that we're getting bad play from Misi...but Roth would definitely be an improvement, for right now.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:04 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They are both in the wind and should stay out there. I wish them both well except when they play the Dolphins. Then I wish a viral infection that takes 11 days to fully recover from.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:14 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

It's not that we're getting bad play from Misi...but Roth would definitely be an improvement, for right now.

Except Misis and Roth play on different sides. Misi is playing the position Taylor used to play.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:32 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Cleveland is 1-4
San Fran is 0-5

Real game changers they got in Roth & Ginn....

When teams suck soo bad its tough to compare talent..

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:23 am

10acjed wrote:
Cleveland is 1-4
San Fran is 0-5

Real game changers they got in Roth & Ginn....

When teams suck soo bad its tough to compare talent..

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Yeah the team sucks but Roth has been a standout player since Miami let him go. All because they couldn't wait on an injured groin to heal. I said at the time it was the most puzzling move the regime made to date and that it probably would mean that JT would stay. I was wrong. Right now Miami could use Taylor or Roth to shore up its defense. They made a mistake by releasing both. FTR...I said it was stupid to put Will Allen on IR. I think they're seeing dividends off of that stupid move as well.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:39 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Just that their play making on the other teams has not helped them win any games...

Dolphins with Matt Roth & Ted Ginn through the first 4 games

07 - 0-4
08 - 2-2
09 - 1-3

We are 2-2, so with or without we seem to be the same......

Matt Roth did not want to be a situational player, that was his whole beef. He did not want to play for this regime.
Ted Ginn just did not do enough, he dropped alot of passes and never really seemed to grasp that leading role.

Taylor is an icon here, but lets face it he aint getting any younger..

There are upsides to just about all of them.. No point on dwelling on "what could have been" when we really dont know...

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I would much rather have Misi.....Much more upside and he has 2 sacks also....

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Except Misis and Roth play on different sides. Misi is playing the position Taylor used to play.

Yes.....Lol.

JT took over for Roth...

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:00 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I said Parcells was senile when he gave away Ginn, still believe it.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:17 pm

dolphinjim wrote:

So you'd rather have Ginn over Nolan Carrol?

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

All day, every day.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:34 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

Returning kicks yes....

Number 2 (yes #2) or 4th WR, yes.....

I'm guessing your question comes from "we might not have Nolan if it wasn't for the pick we got"? Maybe, maybe not. Ginn is much more explosive returning kicks than Nolan. I'm sure Ginn heard all the talk about him being soft and looking for the sidelines before he was traded. Might of had a different season, who knows.

Here's Nolan's stats from college.

Sat out the 2005 season

2006- Recorded five kickoff returns for 60 yards. Against West Virginia, he had two returns for 12 yards; against Boston College, he had two for 31 yards; and against Wake Forest, he had one for 17 yards.

2007- returned five kickoffs for 84 yards.

2008- Not return stats

2009- 3 games and out for the year. No stats....

Now, why is he returning kicks for us?

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Matt Roth was complaining about not getting paid enough and Ted Ginn Jr. was overpaid from the get go. I've made my peace with letting both of these guys go. I don't think we're missing either of these guys that much.
I think Alama-Francis if he ever gets healthy will be a perfect replacement for Roth, and if we really want another wideout/kick returner we'll draft one. Wideout/Kick Returners aren't extremely hard to find, you can get one in the 2nd or 3rd round if you're desperate for a playmaker. Just look up DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal, etc.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 pm

The Hen wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

Returning kicks yes....

Number 2 (yes #2) or 4th WR, yes.....

I'm guessing your question comes from "we might not have Nolan if it wasn't for the pick we got"? Maybe, maybe not. Ginn is much more explosive returning kicks than Nolan. I'm sure Ginn heard all the talk about him being soft and looking for the sidelines before he was traded. Might of had a different season, who knows.

Here's Nolan's stats from college.

Sat out the 2005 season

2006- Recorded five kickoff returns for 60 yards. Against West Virginia, he had two returns for 12 yards; against Boston College, he had two for 31 yards; and against Wake Forest, he had one for 17 yards.

2007- returned five kickoffs for 84 yards.

2008- Not return stats

2009- 3 games and out for the year. No stats....

Now, why is he returning kicks for us?

I was referring more to what it looks like his future will bring in the secondary than as a return man. And even Carrol is more consistent than Ginn.

Sure, Ginn might take one out every once in a while to the 40 which bumps up the average, but he goes down inside the 20 way too often. Give me a consistent 27 yard line over what Ginn did/does. Can Carrol be that guy? Who knows. But Ginn is not a great return guy, and I would make the argument that he is below average.

But regardless, the trade needed to be made. Ginn was apparently sleeping through most meetings, never took extra snaps after practice with Pennington or Henne like Bess and Hartline did and was just awful for us in ever way in 2009. He was going to be a situational player for us at best offensively and wasn't even their first choice at KR. Considering we got the same pick that Pittsburgh got for Holmes, I'd say it was a darn good trade. And if Carrol pans out, even better.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:59 am

Phins Rock wrote:
I was referring more to what it looks like his future will bring in the secondary than as a return man. And even Carrol is more consistent than Ginn.

Sure, Ginn might take one out every once in a while to the 40 which bumps up the average, but he goes down inside the 20 way too often. Give me a consistent 27 yard line over what Ginn did/does. Can Carrol be that guy? Who knows. But Ginn is not a great return guy, and I would make the argument that he is below average.

But regardless, the trade needed to be made. Ginn was apparently sleeping through most meetings, never took extra snaps after practice with Pennington or Henne like Bess and Hartline did and was just awful for us in ever way in 2009. He was going to be a situational player for us at best offensively and wasn't even their first choice at KR. Considering we got the same pick that Pittsburgh got for Holmes, I'd say it was a darn good trade. And if Carrol pans out, even better.

Below average return man?? Your credibility continues to take a hit.

Carol was inactive for a game already this year... yeah he's really adding something to this team. At least Ginn could stretch the field to keep defenses honest and give us someone to be scared of on kick returns.

I don't see anyone on this team that's threatening to return one to the house.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Below average return man?? Your credibility continues to take a hit.

Carol was inactive for a game already this year... yeah he's really adding something to this team. At least Ginn could stretch the field to keep defenses honest and give us someone to be scared of on kick returns.

I don't see anyone on this team that's threatening to return one to the house.

It's a matter of preference. If you would rather have someone who can take it to the house (which, by the way, in his 3 year career he only did that in one game), over consistency, than Ginn > Carrol/Cobbs. But give me consistency any day of the week.

Now, if you can get big play ability and consistency, than you have something special (ala Josh Cribbs or a Leon Washington). But Ginn is not that, and yeah, neither is Carrol. But at least Carrol runs his hardest out there and isn't looking for the sideline.

As far as him stretching the field, he caught one pass over 30 yards last season. And it's not like he was opening the middle of the field up for Fasano either...there is a reason he became a 20 snap per game guy by mid season...He sucks. Period.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am

To say Ginn doesn't run his hardest is just speculation... just because a guy looks for the sideline doesn't mean he isn't playing his hardest. Deion Sanders pretty much refused to hit a guy, but is one of the best players this game has ever seen.

Obviously Ted Ginn is no Deion Sanders, but I highly doubt he's not trying when he's out there. He's not a perfect player or a phenomenal player by any means, but right now this team could use Ted Ginn. Period.

:ann0y:

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 am

IamPZ wrote:
To say Ginn doesn't run his hardest is just speculation... just because a guy looks for the sideline doesn't mean he isn't playing his hardest. Deion Sanders pretty much refused to hit a guy, but is one of the best players this game has ever seen.

Obviously Ted Ginn is no Deion Sanders, but I highly doubt he's not trying when he's out there. He's not a perfect player or a phenomenal player by any means, but right now this team could use Ted Ginn. Period.

Deoin Sanders, Marvin Harrison...you're talking about HOF's. If they want to come out of the game because they have to pee, you let them ... they'll make up for it. Ginn is a below average player who not only didn't fight for extra yards, but purposely left yards on the field to save his own skin. That's completely unacceptable.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 am

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Deoin Sanders, Marvin Harrison...you're talking about HOF's. If they want to come out of the game because they have to pee, you let them ... they'll make up for it. Ginn is a below average player who not only didn't fight for extra yards, but purposely left yards on the field to save his own skin. That's completely unacceptable.

Why is that? Not every player is going to go into the game headstrong looking to kill someone... if he wants to save his butt by running out of bounds, by all means do so. It's not opinion to say that Ginn was a better returner than the guys we have back there now... it's fact.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Why is that? Not every player is going to go into the game headstrong looking to kill someone... if he wants to save his butt by running out of bounds, by all means do so. It's not opinion to say that Ginn was a better returner than the guys we have back there now... it's fact.

Carrol has only been out there for one game. How is it a fact that Ginn is a better return man than him?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:05 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Carrol has only been out there for one game. How is it a fact that Ginn is a better return man than him?

You just answered your own question... if he's such a "good return man" how come he's only been out there 1 game?

The kid looked good in the preseason, but disappeared since... Ginn would be a much better option at this point.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ginn just didn't live up to his contract and draft position. He would be a nice luxury to have as a kick returner though....

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]