View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Will CB Sean Smith win his starting job back from Ja Allen? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Will CB Sean Smith win his starting job back from Ja Allen?
Mike Berardino wrote:
Q: Some of the play calling has been suspect (Wildcat call on 3 and 6), and some of the personnel decisions have also been suspect. For example, Jason Allen fell down again in the Pats game and was lucky to have a big play called back because of a penalty. We have seen Jason mostly get beat over the last five years, although he is playing better this year. Wouldn’t it make sense for Sean Smith to regain his starting status and allow Jason less snaps and more energy on special teams, where he is usually at his best? Thanks. Ron Perlstein, Boca Raton.

A: There’s no doubt Jason Allen will be watched closely for signs of slippage, some of which you’ve already noted. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Sean Smith win back his starting job at some point this season. You don’t start all 16 games as a rookie cornerback in this league and simply stop viewing yourself as starting material in Year 2. You raise a valid point, one that may be showing up in these special teams breakdowns. The gap between Allen and Smith on special teams – where Allen still makes a fair amount of appearances, just not as many as before – may be greater than the gap between Allen and Smith in coverage. Sort of reminds me of the old baseball debate over whether to use, say, Joba Chamberlain in the bullpen or as a starter. If he can handle starting, of course you’d rather have the better arm in that role. But some guys are better suited for the bullpen, and perhaps Jason Allen is best used on special teams. Smith took over for Allen on one series in the first half against the Patriots. I’d look for him to gradually share a little more of the burden, starting this week at Green Bay.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... -line.html

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Will CB Sean Smith win his starting job back from Ja Allen?
I would assume Vontae will tail Jennings all day long like he did Moss, leaving Driver on the other side; JA matches up better against him than Smith does, so, I would think JA gets the start...but this is his last chance.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
but this is his last chance.
You guys amaze me. JA has an all-world game against Minnesota and has a bad game against NE and now this is his last chance. Why not give the guy time to develop at that position and the ups will be more and the downs a whole lot less.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Hell I almost would rather have VD covering Driver... Jennings is averaging 2 catches a game going into this week...

While I'm with you Junkie on letting JA adapt to the job, we really could use him on Special Teams...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
You guys amaze me. JA has an all-world game against Minnesota and has a bad game against NE and now this is his last chance. Why not give the guy time to develop at that position and the ups will be more and the downs a whole lot less.

Bad game against NY and NE...

His coverage skills are not better than Smith. The only thing that seperates the two, (at least supposedly), is tackling and run support...JA has been atrocious in both areas the past 2 weeks.

I'll give JA one more chance, but if he continues to play like this, you have to make a change.

Think Ireland is regretting putting Will Allen on IR now? Man we could use him right about now...

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 am

IamPZ wrote:
Hell I almost would rather have VD covering Driver... Jennings is averaging 2 catches a game going into this week...

While I'm with you Junkie on letting JA adapt to the job, we really could use him on Special Teams...

Yeah, but Moss is the same deal...you know what a guy like that is capable of and his big play ability. I would shadow him with Vontae all day.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 am

Phins Rock wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

Bad game against NY and NE...

His coverage skills are not better than Smith. The only thing that seperates the two, (at least supposedly), is tackling and run support...JA has been atrocious in both areas the past 2 weeks.

I'll give JA one more chance, but if he continues to play like this, you have to make a change.

Think Ireland is regretting putting Will Allen on IR now? Man we could use him right about now...

What the heck has Sean Smith done? I remember seeing him looking confused as his receiver completely shreds him and gets wide open in both the Pats and Jets game. Putting Smith in would be no better than Allen, actually, it'd probably be worse.

He needs to get his head out of his butt if he's going to earn that job back.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:37 am

Smith has covered a WR for 1 series this entire season. He's been doing a good job against TE's.

Maybe JA comes back and proves me wrong. One thing about him is he will have his good games because of his natural athletic ability...but he'll also have bad games.

He was a liability against NY and was a liability against NE. This league, as we all know, is a "what have you done for me lately", and he has been awful. The count is 1-2 right now...He's got one more shot, IMO.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Smith has covered a WR for 1 series this entire season. He's been doing a good job against TE's.

Maybe JA comes back and proves me wrong. One thing about him is he will have his good games because of his natural athletic ability...but he'll also have bad games.

He was a liability against NY and was a liability against NE. This league, as we all know, is a "what have you done for me lately", and he has been awful. The count is 1-2 right now...He's got one more shot, IMO.

I haven't seen play out of JA that would warrant a rating of "awful"... he slipped and fell against Braylon, but before the fall had played the route perfectly... he was abused in the Pats game, but hell it's Tom Brady... I give him a pass for the game, he's pretty much a rookie still given the limited playing time he's had.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I haven't seen play out of JA that would warrant a rating of "awful"... he slipped and fell against Braylon, but before the fall had played the route perfectly... he was abused in the Pats game, but hell it's Tom Brady... I give him a pass for the game, he's pretty much a rookie still given the limited playing time he's had.

Doesn't matter how much playing time he has or has not gotten...A 6th year player is not a rookie.

He allowed the big play to Edwards, he got called for the PI at the end of the game, allowed the big 3rd down on the last drive, got completely blocked out of the play on runs to his side....He was atrocious, and like you said wasn't good against NE either.

Teams are going away from Vontae Davis because he's turning into, (or maybe already is), and elite CB. But teams are going to start going a different way for a different reason...Like Coach said, they put things on film now and teams are going to attack them, (JA).

If he plays well against GB, he's earned a couple more weeks. If not, 3 bad games in a row for a temporary starter is more than enough to warrant a change.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:52 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Doesn't matter how much playing time he has or has not gotten...A 6th year player is not a rookie.

He allowed the big play to Edwards, he got called for the PI at the end of the game, allowed the big 3rd down on the last drive, got completely blocked out of the play on runs to his side....He was atrocious, and like you said wasn't good against NE either.

Teams are going away from Vontae Davis because he's turning into, (or maybe already is), and elite CB. But teams are going to start going a different way for a different reason...Like Coach said, they put things on film now and teams are going to attack them, (JA).

If he plays well against GB, he's earned a couple more weeks. If not, 3 bad games in a row for a temporary starter is more than enough to warrant a change.

To me, he makes more plays than Smith, and therefore deserves to keep the job. With a guy like Vontae on one side, it only makes sense that they pick on the other CB... ie Cromartie in New York.

6th year player or not, if you're not out there playing, you don't get the experience you need to be consistent. I'm 100% for giving this guy the full season at the starting spot... plus I haven't seen anything out of Smith that makes me feel like he's a better option.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IamPZ wrote:
I give him a pass for the game, he's pretty much a rookie still given the limited playing time he's had.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion there is no way you can call a 6 year player "pretty much a rookie" regardless of how limited his playing time has been. Jason Allen has been with this team during 3 different coaching regimes. Rookie is the last thing you should call him.

Why do you guys think it is that Sean Smith has seemingly regressed so much?? He went from looking like a future star for us at CB....... to where now the hosts on Sirius NFL Radio say things like, "I can't see Sean Smith becoming a successful Corner in this league, the guy needs to be moved to Free Safety." (I believe it was Pat Kirwan that I'm loosely quoting.... he said that last week)

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 am

Bones wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
I give him a pass for the game, he's pretty much a rookie still given the limited playing time he's had.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion there is no way you can call a 6 year player "pretty much a rookie" regardless of how limited his playing time has been. Jason Allen has been with this team during 3 different coaching regimes. Rookie is the last thing you should call him.

Why do you guys think it is that Sean Smith has seemingly regressed so much?? He went from looking like a future star for us at CB....... to where now the hosts on Sirius NFL Radio say things like, "I can't see Sean Smith becoming a successful Corner in this league, the guy needs to be moved to Free Safety." (I believe it was Pat Kirwan that I'm loosely quoting.... he said that last week)

Exactly, 3 different regimes, changed positions a 100 different times, and yet somehow fans still expect him to have this game and the speed of the game, down pact like an all-star or something.

I'll never understand that thought process I guess.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Personally I dont think one is any better than the other. I recall many anti Smith posts last season.

I think that Smith is a better Nickel CB than Allen, and is point enough to leave everyone alone.. Allen seems to be doing better as solely the RCB, may a well leave him there..

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IamPZ wrote:
Bones wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Exactly, 3 different regimes, changed positions a 100 different times, and yet somehow fans still expect him to have this game and the speed of the game, down pact like an all-star or something.

I'll never understand that thought process I guess.

I can certainly agree with you that all of the position changing has hampered him, but at the same time, that was supposed to be his best quality coming out of the draft..... the analysts said "this guy can line up ALL OVER the secondary for you" and all that crap that they fed us.

The only part I can't agree with is calling him a rookie.... the guy has probably been to a triple-digit # of team meetings.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:33 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Really? JA didn't have a "bad" game against NE. Brady and the WR's didn't beat Miami. JA had a bad game against the Jets...period.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

I and like you said wasn't good against NE either..
Where was he bad in that game?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Moss burned him several times for 0 catches, 0 yards and 0 TDs.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Pretty sure Vontae was matched against Moss most of the evening against NE. Nevertheless. I think JA needs a longer look. Most of his misque's were him just slipping and falling. Granted there was 1 I recall where he had help over the top and would have had an easy INT had he stayed underneath.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 am

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Moss burned him several times for 0 catches, 0 yards and 0 TDs.

He was atrocious defending the run, allowed several catches to his man, many of them on 3rd downs...

He didn't line up against Moss once. Vontae shadowed him, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:
To me, he makes more plays than Smith, and therefore deserves to keep the job. With a guy like Vontae on one side, it only makes sense that they pick on the other CB

That's my impression as well. I don't think Jason Allen has done anything to lose the job.

As far as Sean Smith, he didn't take the next step forward, but Jason Allen did. He was beat out for the position.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm
Profile WWW

Phins Rock wrote:
He didn't line up against Moss once. Vontae shadowed him, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

It's called sarcasm, although you might spell it "sarkasum". One day you'll learn what this is.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

He was atrocious defending the run,
Based on what? I have never seen Allen be atrocious on run support. I've never seen him be even bad.

Phins Rock wrote:

allowed several catches to his man, many of them on 3rd downs...
Gonna have to question if you actually know what you are referring too.

NE was 5 for 11 on 3rd down. 1 for 1 on 4th.

1: 3-1-MIA 28 (11:54) 63-D.Connolly reported in as eligible. 42-B.Green-Ellis left tackle to MIA 26 for 2 yards (37-Y.Bell). MIA-37-Y.Bell was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

2: 3-2-MIA 18 (9:51) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 85-A.Hernandez to MIA 9 for 9 yards (24-S.Smith).

3: 3-1-NE 45 (1:39) (No Huddle) 12-T.Brady up the middle to 50 for 5 yards (91-C.Wake).

4: 3-7-NE 36 (7:26) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to MIA 47 for 17 yards (37-Y.Bell). Sapp Covering

3rd Down TD Pass 3-5-MIA 11 (4:09) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 39-D.Woodhead for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Dansby was covering

4th Down Play:
4-1-MIA 39 (13:38) 12-T.Brady right guard to MIA 37 for 2 yards (96-P.Soliai).

Phins Rock wrote:

Who was covering Moss when Vonte was covering Welker?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Phins Rock slips again....

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:35 am

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock slips again....

:hint :hint

Allen did have a couple of bad plays (one where he slipped coming out of his back pedal again) but his overall play last week was good.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He was atrocious defending the run,
Based on what? I have never seen Allen be atrocious on run support. I've never seen him be even bad.

Phins Rock wrote:

allowed several catches to his man, many of them on 3rd downs...
Gonna have to question if you actually know what you are referring too.

NE was 5 for 11 on 3rd down. 1 for 1 on 4th.

1: 3-1-MIA 28 (11:54) 63-D.Connolly reported in as eligible. 42-B.Green-Ellis left tackle to MIA 26 for 2 yards (37-Y.Bell). MIA-37-Y.Bell was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

2: 3-2-MIA 18 (9:51) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 85-A.Hernandez to MIA 9 for 9 yards (24-S.Smith).

3: 3-1-NE 45 (1:39) (No Huddle) 12-T.Brady up the middle to 50 for 5 yards (91-C.Wake).

4: 3-7-NE 36 (7:26) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to MIA 47 for 17 yards (37-Y.Bell). Sapp Covering

3rd Down TD Pass 3-5-MIA 11 (4:09) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 39-D.Woodhead for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Dansby was covering

4th Down Play:
4-1-MIA 39 (13:38) 12-T.Brady right guard to MIA 37 for 2 yards (96-P.Soliai).

Phins Rock wrote:

Who was covering Moss when Vonte was covering Welker?

My point int he begginning, because I agree with you, is that JA is usually very good in run support. But against NY and NE he was getting completely blocked out of plays, and was very soft and lackadaisical in his tackling.

Didn't think anybody would bring out the play by play....regardless, he allowed several completions to Welker, allowed a big play to Hernandez (which got called back luckily), and missed a couple of tackles in the secondary. He had a bad game.

And Vontae was never covering Welker....he was on Moss the whole game.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

1-10-NE 25 (2:47) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 31 for 6 yards (21-V.Davis).
1-10-MIA 23 (:26) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to MIA 12 for 11 yards (21-V.Davis).
1-10-NE 22 (8:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 27 for 5 yards (21-V.Davis).

That's REALLY interesting because three of the catches Welker had, the tackler was Vontae.

He is an amazing athlete if he is able to run across the entire field to tackle the other corner's guy.

Foiled again, Mr. Know-it-all.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

1-10-NE 25 (2:47) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 31 for 6 yards (21-V.Davis).
1-10-MIA 23 (:26) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to MIA 12 for 11 yards (21-V.Davis).
1-10-NE 22 (8:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to NE 27 for 5 yards (21-V.Davis).

That's REALLY interesting because three of the catches Welker had, the tackler was Vontae.

He is an amazing athlete if he is able to run across the entire field to tackle the other corner's guy.

Vontae was on Moss most of the game. There were several plays in a row where Vontae made tackles on guys that were not his own as well. Not saying this was that particular series. But, Yes.. he is amazing.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I don't remember those 3 plays at all. Could have been plays where Moss wasn't out there.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't remember those 3 plays at all.

Maybe that will teach you to do a little research before speaking in absolutes. :ann0y:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Didn't think anybody would bring out the play by play....regardless, he allowed several completions to Welker, allowed a big play to Hernandez (which got called back luckily), and missed a couple of tackles in the secondary. He had a bad game..
Why would Allen been covering Hernandez a TE? Just because Allen was first on the scene does not mean it was his man. If I had to venture a guess. Allen broke off his man to get to Hernandez when the pass was in the air.

Phins Rock wrote:

If you can watch the game again you will see different.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]