View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hyde 5 why the furror over Henne 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Hyde 5 why the furror over Henne
Quote:
First, I don't understand the furor over the Dolphins' Henne. Sure, he's made a few mistakes. But he's completing 64 percent of his passes and has a decent 86 quarterback rating (68 percent completions and 113 rating on third downs). He also has a needs-improving 5 TDs vs. 4 interceptions.

Henne isn't the developed quarterback yet this team needs. Does he get there? Beats me. But he's shown a lot of good things this year, and he's the best hope for this franchise. Sometimes we get too focused on this team that the bigger picture is lost. Look around the league.

Baltimore's Joe Flacco? Same draft class as Henne. Stats this year: Five touchdowns, six interceptions, 72 rating. But because his defense is really good, the Ravens are in great shape and no one's talking about Flacco.

Atlanta's Matt Ryan? Same draft class and he's a step ahead, as you'd expect considering he was the third overall pick and this is his third year starting. He has 7 TDs, 3 interceptions but the same-as-Henne 86 QB rating.

Look, Henne needs to make some better decisions. What young quarterback doesn't? But the bigger question for the offense to me is it lacks a downfield receiver to keep the defense honest. That would open up the middle for Brandon Marshall and/or Anthony Fasano. It would make some throws easier.

Henne will be judged by every Sunday's performance. But it shouldn't be a referendum on whether he's the right guy for the job in the manner it's become.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... henne.html

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Hyde 5 why the furror over Henne
The furor over Henne reminds me of listening to New York fans. When Mike Piazza got traded to the Mets, the fans would cheer him one at-bat, boo him the next, then cheer him again at his next plate appearance. It's ridiculous!

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If I recall the many in the media came out in a firestorm after the game saying there are rumors of Pennington starting and internal questions of Henne. They were starting to ask how long you stick with him and telling fans he is on a short leash.

One week later you start seeing many guys, ESPN and local Miami guys, saying be patient and stop the fuss. What a difference one week makes.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
If I recall the many in the media came out in a firestorm after the game saying there are rumors of Pennington starting and internal questions of Henne. They were starting to ask how long you stick with him and telling fans he is on a short leash.

One week later you start seeing many guys, ESPN and local Miami guys, saying be patient and stop the fuss. What a difference one week makes.

They just need something to write/talk about.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

5 TDs vs. 4 interceptions

This is the only stat that counts. Improve this and Henne will shine. Big game Sunday, go Fins.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:
5 TDs vs. 4 interceptions

This is the only stat that counts. Improve this and Henne will shine. Big game Sunday, go Fins.

I disagree a little. I don't think TD's are a real important stat; they can be mis-leading, especially for a team like Miami who likes to run it when deep into opposing territory.

INT's, yards per attempt, and completion pct. are the 3 most important stats for a QB, IMO.

Right now Henne has less INTs than Rivers (in more attempts), Brees, Romo, and Rodgers, among others. His YPA is 11th in the NFL, ahead of Rodgers, Brees, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco, and his pct. is top 10 in the league. Not great, but not bad.

People need to lay off Henne. He had one bad game against NE. So what.

Henne usually bounces back from rough outings, so I expect to see a good performance against Green Bay.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]