View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Henne is HORRIBLE !!! 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Henne is HORRIBLE !!!
Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:
Well you can join all the San Diego fans that gave up on Drew Brees threw his first 5 years in the league.

I love playing this game .... inserting the names of QB's who did work out as if it's some scientific fact that Henne will become the same. The irony is the man who replaced Brees was a darn good QB from the get go.

Thats not the argument at all. The point in bringing up those guys is to say that you can't judge a qb like Henne this quickly in his professional career. I don't care what he did in college man, his time starts in the pros. 21 starts is nothing in this league. Sure there are those who excel from the get go, but those are truly rare exceptions. I'm giving you names of qbs that struggled early but were able to build upon their experience. I know Henne has some issues that he needs to improve upon, but I don't see them being so big that I have reason to give up on him yet.

So let me ask you a question. Dude has been playing football his entire life. What is another couple years going to do as far as teaching the man how to put touch on his passes?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
So let me ask you a question. Dude has been playing football his entire life. What is another couple years going to do as far as teaching the man how to put touch on his passes?

With the right qb coach? A TON

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:
Well you can join all the San Diego fans that gave up on Drew Brees threw his first 5 years in the league.

I love playing this game .... inserting the names of QB's who did work out as if it's some scientific fact that Henne will become the same. The irony is the man who replaced Brees was a darn good QB from the get go.

Thats not the argument at all. The point in bringing up those guys is to say that you can't judge a qb like Henne this quickly in his professional career. I don't care what he did in college man, his time starts in the pros. 21 starts is nothing in this league. Sure there are those who excel from the get go, but those are truly rare exceptions. I'm giving you names of qbs that struggled early but were able to build upon their experience. I know Henne has some issues that he needs to improve upon, but I don't see them being so big that I have reason to give up on him yet.

Amen brother!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

With the right qb coach? A TON

OK Phin .... who do we need to bring in here to get Henne to put more touch on his passes?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

OK Phin .... who do we need to bring in here to get Henne to put more touch on his passes?

Touch is that last thing I'm worried about. Recievers are paid to catch the ball no more matter what. Henne locks onto recievers and throws the ball in tight coverage and then we (not I) blame the recivers. Pluuuuse. Henne makes bad decisions.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I see more Henne interceptions due to miscommunication with receivers, and tipped passes, than I do from bad decisions. Still, I agree that he needs to work on his decision making skills; something that comes from....... gasp... experience!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I see more Henne interceptions due to miscommunication with receivers, and tipped passes, than I do from bad decisions. Still, I agree that he needs to work on his decision making skills; something that comes from....... gasp... experience!

Funny. Flacco, Mccoy, Ryan, Rivers, Bradford, Freeman, and Sanchez don't have the same problems and they lack...gasp...EXPERIENCE.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phin wrote:
I don't know what games you guys are watching but I see a young quarterback out there that shows a ton of promise. I think he is doing just find considering he has only started 21 games. How many games have Peyton Manning and Brett Favre thrown three interceptions in? Seriously guys, your sounding like a bunch of bridge jumpers. Two of those interceptions I place on the receiver not playing 100%. Sure Henne was a little off the mark, but both Marshall's tip and Bess's interception where he didn't even bother to fight for the ball are prime examples of wide receivers not helping out their qb. Even the best qbs in the league need a little help from time to time.

The remark "Henne shows tons of promise" window is closing fast !!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

dolphinjim wrote:
Can we delete this thread, it's a total waste of bandwidth.

Thanks!

Nope ! if u do whats the purpose of the website !!!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

LA Fins Fan wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:
Can we delete this thread, it's a total waste of bandwidth.

Thanks!

Nope ! if u do whats the purpose of the website !!!

To sanely discuss the Dolphins.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums :yay:

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

ya flacco didnt throw 4 picks in week 2 and look horrible, sanchez didnt throw 20 picks while being babied in a run heavy offense or score 0 points against the packers. Do you watch football? Bradford has been way better than anyone could ask him to be so far but he definantly has young mistakes. Why is rivers in that list? and freeman is amazing this year, not so much last year. coaching and experience has a lot to do with it and sadly i think henne is worse this year than last because of the wrong kind of coaching. He may have been broken by trying too hard to listen to his coaching and it may break him permenantly if we dont let him regres back to his old ways. 3 fourth quarter comebacks last year, this is not the same henne

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

henne is worse this year than last because of the wrong kind of coaching.

The coach doesn't lock onto recievers and throw into tight coverage.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

finfan109 wrote:
ya flacco didnt throw 4 picks in week 2 and look horrible, sanchez didnt throw 20 picks while being babied in a run heavy offense or score 0 points against the packers. Do you watch football? Bradford has been way better than anyone could ask him to be so far but he definantly has young mistakes. Why is rivers in that list? and freeman is amazing this year, not so much last year. coaching and experience has a lot to do with it and sadly i think henne is worse this year than last because of the wrong kind of coaching. He may have been broken by trying too hard to listen to his coaching and it may break him permenantly if we dont let him regres back to his old ways. 3 fourth quarter comebacks last year, this is not the same henne

Good observations there. No one wants to acknowledge that the success and failure of a qb can largely be made or broke by offensive coordinator he works under. Brees flourished in New Orleans under Payton, Young in SanFran; conversely Cutler looks like crap with Martz running the show. It just goes to show that you have to have the right guy with the right guy.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Good observations there. No one wants to acknowledge that the success and failure of a qb can largely be made or broke by offensive coordinator he works under. Brees flourished in New Orleans under Payton, Young in SanFran; conversely Cutler looks like crap with Martz running the show. It just goes to show that you have to have the right guy with the right guy.

Everyone understands the concept of a quality staff. Alas, you continue to cherry pick examples as if they apply as absolutes.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
finfan109 wrote:

Or being able to call your own shots. (Marino, Manning, Kelly)

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Heres an absolute. Henning, Sparano and anyone who is giving henne pointers right now, including penny who is just not the same player, is doint it absolutly wrong. We cant know what we have with henne while were taking what he had in the first place away. He seems to seriously want to be a student of the game but everything hes told to do is wrong(my opinion) Anyone notice that pick to bess was all deep hitches? what kinda play call is that, what choice does he have but to pick one and force it? and if there had been a flat option im sure thanks to penny and sparano he would have taken it for a 2 yard gain.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Alas, you continue to cherry pick examples as if they apply as absolutes.

I never said they were absolutes. I use them as reasonable and educated replies for reasons to not throw in the towel just yet on Henne. You have offered nothing but criticism, I have offered tangible examples of similar situations in the NFL. It may very well turn out that Henne is a complete bust and incapable of returning on our investment in him. It may very well turn out that he does turn into a solid quarterback in this league as well. We don't know just yet, and THAT is precisely my point. Fans who are throwing in the towel on this kid already are simply jumping off the bridge before we know what kind of player we have. Statistically speaking, there is a much greater chance he will turn out to be a dud instead of a stud. The safety of statistics supports your critical analysis of Henne, but that doesn't make you right in your early proclamation of his future value. I believe he shows much promise, but I stop short of saying that he 'IS' anything. I'm giving him the requisite time it takes to evaluate a player at that position before I formulate any conclusions. Of course that is not always necessary as in the case of Pat White, but I do not see anything even remotely as foretelling in Henne's situation as to whether or not he will succeed or fail.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Does the OL make a RB or does the RB make an OL? Does Brady make Billy a genius or vice versa? We don't know. WHat I do know is that Henne throws more picks than TDs.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Alas, you continue to cherry pick examples as if they apply as absolutes.

I never said they were absolutes. I use them as reasonable and educated replies for reasons to not throw in the towel just yet on Henne. You have offered nothing but criticism, I have offered tangible examples of similar situations in the NFL. It may very well turn out that Henne is a complete bust and incapable of returning on our investment in him. It may very well turn out that he does turn into a solid quarterback in this league as well. We don't know just yet, and THAT is precisely my point. Fans who are throwing in the towel on this kid already are simply jumping off the bridge before we know what kind of player we have. Statistically speaking, there is a much greater chance he will turn out to be a dud instead of a stud. The safety of statistics supports your critical analysis of Henne, but that doesn't make you right in your early proclamation of his future value. I believe he shows much promise, but I stop short of saying that he 'IS' anything. I'm giving him the requisite time it takes to evaluate a player at that position before I formulate any conclusions. Of course that is not always necessary as in the case of Pat White, but I do not see anything even remotely as foretelling in Henne's situation as to whether or not he will succeed or fail.

One of my gripes is the touch on his passes. Do you firmly believe, after 21 games and seeing the plentiful incidences of this lack of touch, that the staff doesn't try to work on that with him?

Perhaps he just doesn't have that kind of ability.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

finfan109 wrote:
Heres an absolute. Henning, Sparano and anyone who is giving henne pointers right now, including penny who is just not the same player, is doint it absolutly wrong. We cant know what we have with henne while were taking what he had in the first place away. He seems to seriously want to be a student of the game but everything hes told to do is wrong(my opinion) Anyone notice that pick to bess was all deep hitches? what kinda play call is that, what choice does he have but to pick one and force it? and if there had been a flat option im sure thanks to penny and sparano he would have taken it for a 2 yard gain.

Yea its funny that people are hacking on him over throwing that INT to Bess, but what else was he to do? I mean we are trying to come back from 16 down in 2 minutes. If he throws a check down pass to the back or TE (who just dropped one in the bread basket) then fans will yell at him about 'playing it safe'. If he forces the ball down field to a receiver, then he is forcing the ball and not playing smart or consistent. Bess never came back for that ball but the defender, who stopped yards beyond him, certainly did. I blame Bess for not making a break for the ball. Henne is the scapegoat here for two picks that shouldn't have happened. I can only honestly blame one of the picks on him, but of course I'm just 'making excuses' for him.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

You know what else is not hennes fault? that hartline is on the feild. He keeps tricking me with flashes of yac brilliance but I do not like the kid. Anybody notice how he was on his knees for that pick. Or how Marshall was on his bum for a jump ball in the endzone. This team only takes a handfull of chances in a game wich is not a bad idea but when they all fall flat you need to put a couple more out there. Most of Hennes picks are not when we try to take a shot, but when there is absolutly nothing for him to do but take a chance or lay down again.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Yea its funny that people are hacking on him over throwing that INT to Bess, but what else was he to do? I mean we are trying to come back from 16 down in 2 minutes. If he throws a check down pass to the back or TE (who just dropped one in the bread basket) then fans will yell at him about 'playing it safe'. If he forces the ball down field to a receiver, then he is forcing the ball and not playing smart or consistent. Bess never came back for that ball but the defender, who stopped yards beyond him, certainly did. I blame Bess for not making a break for the ball. Henne is the scapegoat here for two picks that shouldn't have happened. I can only honestly blame one of the picks on him, but of course I'm just 'making excuses' for him.

Ummmm we are placing blame on him not placing the bell better for receivers. That awful lob to Fasano in the endzone. He missed Fasano badly on a crossing route. He rifled one to Bess at the 3 yard line that looked like it was meant for Wilt Chamberlain. The 2nd INT to Marshall was rifled too high as well. Those kinds of plays.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

One of my gripes is the touch on his passes. Do you firmly believe, after 21 games and seeing the plentiful incidences of this lack of touch, that the staff doesn't try to work on that with him?

Remember the first Jets game last year when Steve Young was all over Henne saying what a great qb he is going to be and how much touch he showed on a few of his passes. Henne is capable of making those passes, we just have seen him do it consistently. Consistency is something that can only happen through practice and experience. It is possible he never learns to put touch on his passes, and if that is the case, his effectiveness in this league will be severely hampered. I can assure you though, even the best qbs in the league have holes in their game. Some are just more noticeable than others. Still, I think the issue of the 'touch pass' is not his biggest hole in his game. I think seeing the whole field, and locking onto receivers are much bigger issues for him. I also think our OC and Pennington have held back Henne's progress by making him an overly cautious qb. How many times has he passed up deeper passes so that he could throw the safer pass underneath? I actually thought Henne did a much better job of managing the game today and he seemed to see the field better. He was able to make some plays with his feet too.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Remember the first Jets game last year when Steve Young was all over Henne saying what a great qb he is going to be and how much touch he showed on a few of his passes. Henne is capable of making those passes, we just have seen him do it consistently. Consistency is something that can only happen through practice and experience. It is possible he never learns to put touch on his passes, and if that is the case, his effectiveness in this league will be severely hampered. I can assure you though, even the best qbs in the league have holes in their game. Some are just more noticeable than others. Still, I think the issue of the 'touch pass' is not his biggest hole in his game. I think seeing the whole field, and locking onto receivers are much bigger issues for him. I also think our OC and Pennington have held back Henne's progress by making him an overly cautious qb. How many times has he passed up deeper passes so that he could throw the safer pass underneath? I actually thought Henne did a much better job of managing the game today and he seemed to see the field better. He was able to make some plays with his feet too.

In all of my time watching him, he's never been consistent with his ball placement - no matter what Steve Young says. He's got a live arm with poor control.

Chicken or the egg with the "Caution" thing. Personally, as much as I despise Henning, I'm really starting to see why they keep a leash on him.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

Ummmm we are placing blame on him not placing the bell better for receivers. That awful lob to Fasano in the endzone. He missed Fasano badly on a crossing route. He rifled one to Bess at the 3 yard line that looked like it was meant for Wilt Chamberlain. The 2nd INT to Marshall was rifled too high as well. Those kinds of plays.

The touch pass to Fasano was over the outreached hands of defensive linemen and a linebacker. Honestly that pass had to be high or it would have been picked. It looked like Henne was throwing the ball blindly over the line and hoping that Fasano cut in a little more instead of running straight for the back of the endzone. That is a miss I could live with actually. To have made that connection would have been tremendous, but it is a low percentage shot given the circumstances I just discussed.
The pass that Marshall tipped certainly was high, but it hit him square in the hands. Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route. His play today very much disappointed me. He also put the ball on the turf. If he were Tedd Ginn, we would have been yelling at him about not making the catch, tipping it to the defender, fumbling the ball, and playing poorly. Instead we are placing the entire blame on Henne's shoulders here.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route.

This ^^

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
The touch pass to Fasano was over the outreached hands of defensive linemen and a linebacker. Honestly that pass had to be high or it would have been picked. It looked like Henne was throwing the ball blindly over the line and hoping that Fasano cut in a little more instead of running straight for the back of the endzone. That is a miss I could live with actually. To have made that connection would have been tremendous, but it is a low percentage shot given the circumstances I just discussed.
The pass that Marshall tipped certainly was high, but it hit him square in the hands. Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route. His play today very much disappointed me. He also put the ball on the turf. If he were Tedd Ginn, we would have been yelling at him about not making the catch, tipping it to the defender, fumbling the ball, and playing poorly. Instead we are placing the entire blame on Henne's shoulders here.

Excuses man. Put the ball in the numbers and Marshall makes that catch. The guy is 6'4 and even he had to reach as high as he could to get it, in the slot too which is dangerous to begin with. The Fasano endzone play, a wobbly duck no matter what the percentages were of success on that play. I've seen it run a billion times in the NFL.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:56 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That is a miss I could live with actually

I can't. SB teams don't miss those kind of passes. I have higher expectations than that. The other duck to Fasano was almost picked as well. Marshall did give up and he alligator armed it, but the pass led him out to drive.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:
Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route.

This ^^

"If" that were true, does it surprise you when the ball is thrown so poorly and he's got Ray Lewis ready to eat his lunch?

Rock Sexton wrote:
Excuses man. Put the ball in the numbers and Marshall makes that catch. The guy is 6'4 and even he had to reach as high as he could to get it, in the slot too which is dangerous to begin with. The Fasano endzone play, a wobbly duck no matter what the percentages were of success on that play. I've seen it run a billion times in the NFL.

Then every QB has excuses. I guess none of the top QBs have ever had their receivers make a tough catch for them...

2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

Excuses? Or Reasons? Thats a fine line. Seriously though, if we wanted tipped balls and half arse effort, we could have kept Ginn. The tipped pass was on Marshall, bottom line.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Then every QB has excuses. I guess none of the top QBs have ever had their receivers make a tough catch for them...

I don't recall ever saying that.

In Henne's case, WR's are consistently having to make tough grabs. About the only time the ball is placed well is when the WR is wide open.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:00 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Alright im too knew to this to do the quoting thing ill figure it out later but to sexton, look at when henne was un-leashed last year, this regime is stupid. and yes marshall didnt look like he gave a crap but watch reggie wayne play. He doesnt look like he puts a bit of effort into football. The guys are just flow so smoothly and are so good they dont need to look like theyre freaking out just to get something done(Hartline) He needs to cut the drops but i dont think its from lack of trying.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Have I mentioned that Henne has thrown more picks than TDS? Lol!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Excuses? Or Reasons? Thats a fine line. Seriously though, if we wanted tipped balls and half arse effort, we could have kept Ginn. The tipped pass was on Marshall, bottom line.

Again, the ball was high. The mere fact that you won't acknowledge he could've placed the ball better tells me everything I need to know. I mean you're complaining about a receiver who's running over the middle of the field and having to go high up for a ball when he's 6'4 .....

I like to the comparison to Ginn for added sarcastic effect. LOL.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:

The "expect more out of our guy than other guys" line of thinking you are employing in your logic leads down that path. You don't have to say it.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Makchell wrote:
Have I mentioned that Henne has thrown more picks than TDS? Lol!

Yes, have you acknowledged that two of those picks were not his fault today. Neither was the pick that never actually happened against the Steelers?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

The "expect more out of our guy than other guys" line of thinking you are employing in your logic leads down that path. You don't have to say it.

Huh?

I've openly claimed I expect more out of them all Rich. Yet I gave 5-6 clear cut examples of piss poor passes that we've routinely seen with him.

In Henne's individual case he is extremely erratic in his ball placement no matter what the receivers are doing. Some QB's make life easy on their receivers. Some do not.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

Again, the ball was high. The mere fact that you won't acknowledge he could've placed the ball better tells me everything I need to know.

Your reading comprehension skills must be at an all time low. Seriously man, try reading the whole post before casting stones.
Phin wrote:
[
The pass that Marshall tipped certainly was high, but it hit him square in the hands. Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route. His play today very much disappointed me.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

Again, the ball was high. The mere fact that you won't acknowledge he could've placed the ball better tells me everything I need to know.

Your reading comprehension skills must be at an all time low. Seriously man, try reading the whole post before casting stones.
Phin wrote:
[
The pass that Marshall tipped certainly was high, but it hit him square in the hands. Marshall looked like he just didn't give a crap when running that route. His play today very much disappointed me.

Funny thing about comprehension. Apparently you did make a comment to reinforce my argument about his lack of ball placement ..... but it's still Marshall's fault. That's cute. Throw a crappy pass up high over the middle where the head hunters are at, but emphasize that it hit Marshall in the hands (after he had to over extend for it) as if that was the culprit.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next