View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 The Tennessee Titans have claimed Moss 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post The Tennessee Titans have claimed Moss
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5760968

Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: he Tennessee Titans have claimed Moss
,,,Just in time to play the phins in his first game with them! (they have a bye this week)

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Looks like they were the only ones to put a claim in for him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... randy-moss

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Looks like they were the only ones to put a claim in for him

So 31 teams passed on him, but most of you on this site wanted him. Hmmmmm.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Thank God. I really did not need another player to yell four letter words at. :grin:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Disappointing, but life goes on for the Dolphins.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

motor city phin fan wrote:
,,,Just in time to play the phins in his first game with them! (they have a bye this week)

Let's shut him down again.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: The Tennessee Titans have claimed Moss
Bills signed merriman, just saw it on espn

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Makchell wrote:

I am one of the ones who wanted him. Now to talk out of my ass, I expect Moss to tear it up for the Titans.

He will probably be driven to show Childress up, not to mention the fact that he is playing for his next contract. I'm not suggesting that he will do a complete 180 and never take another play off, but we should see the best he has left.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Its to simplistic to believe TN was the only team that wants him. TN is the only team who wanted him at that price tag.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:36 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Its to simplistic to believe TN was the only team that wants him. TN is the only team who wanted him at that price tag

Thank you, you added another valid point to not sign him.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:

I believe you meant "life without the deep ball" goes on for the Dolphins.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well I guess it just wasn't mean to be. He was a player that from a talent standpoint would have obviously improved our offense, so for us to pass on him says something. I think our staff is happy with what we have and didn't want to add a potentially toxic player like Moss. I think the coaches believe that we are a team that is capable of going to the playoffs without adding another threat like Moss. Lets hope they are right. Lets hope we can find a way to turn fieldgoals into touchdowns this week.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Count me on the side that is disappointed that we did put a claim in for Moss !! Was there a risk associated with the move.. yes... but him and marshall on the same team... would have been sick!!!!..Oh well it's over and done.... but I think we blew this one.. :hithead:

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

For the most part. The Miami Org throughout the years has always played it safe with big name trouble makers. They are pretty good at taking on smaller ones.

Its like allowing the Jets to get Holmes for a 5th Rd. pick.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm glad. He would have been a short term "fix" and would have stopped the guys we expect to be here long haul from getting the time they need to develop. I think management has taken a long-term view since they got here and they did not deviate from that with Moss. I'm glad.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

31 teams passed on the waiver wire, not the player. Get this notion out of your head that says if a team doesn't go for a guy, then he must not be worth it.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:
Count me on the side that is disappointed that we did put a claim in for Moss !! Was there a risk associated with the move.. yes... but him and marshall on the same team... would have been sick!!!!..Oh well it's over and done.... but I think we blew this one.. :hithead:

No way is Sparano going to tell his receiver corps, two of which are paid (Marshall and Bess) and producing everything that is being asked of them (with the occasional drop) that they are somehow deficient and need help from a guy like Moss. I'm not sure that Moss is an added benefit at this point. At the very least he messes up the very good chmistry our WR corps is doing right now. They all have a clearly defined role, and are pulling their end of the bargain on Sundays. Moss throws that dynamic out the window.

I don't believe that we lack the talent to go deep. I bet Sparano doesn't either. I'd bet that most people on this board who say we somehow needed Moss don't believe it, either. We have the personnel.

The league is terrified of Marshall and defenses are saturating his area of the field which don't leave him many safe opportunities. On nearly every play he is double covered. On underneath routes, he is oftentimes triple covered with a LB cheating his way to cover slants. I can't remember any time in the last 3-4 games where he had the opportunity to go deep and not be blanketed in coverage. They do that because he is amazing. He changed the way the Jets played defense because he dominated them. He has the capability to dominate any defense (I think he dominates this week against Baltimore), so they game plan for him and decide that we will have to beat them with Davone Bess and a running game that is sputtering.

Our problem with the lack of deep ball explosion right now is not a WR problem or a play calling problem or a talent problem, but because we can't run the ball with any consistency. Our running game is not feared like it was in the recent past, and teams no longer play us 8 in the box. They play to always make sure that Marshall is double covered.

It is on the onus of Dan Henning to make the proper adjustments so that Marshall can have better matchups on passing downs, but oftentimes what we can do is dictated by the defense. We also need to do a better job with teaching Henne that it is sometimes okay to take calculated risks based on the circumstances and that are properly measured through practice and repetition. And of course it will take some time for Henne to develop into a guy that can better judge the circumstances and make the appropriate play.

We are teaching Henne first and foremost that his number one job is to protect the football. Turnovers are BAD. He should not commit them under any foreseeable circumstance. Great plays on defense will always be made, but most QB turnovers are through their own error (as opposed to evil genius Ed Reed type of stuff), and he needs to have a firm understanding that throwing the ball away to the other team is not acceptable. Any play is better. It is detrimental to the team on both offense and defense and places them in a hole. It just seems that he hasn't yet learned to balance the risk v reward and just chuck it to Marshall so he can make a play. He needs more experience both as a starter and experience with Marshall to really form that trust between QB and WR that really makes for some great plays.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Eleaf,

We lack deep speed. This is unquestioned. Especially with Bess and Hartline. Marshall himself has been more of a YAC guy than a speed guy, turning 20 yards into 40 and so forth.

The kind of safety help needed for a pair like Marshall/Moss would make life easier on the run game too.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Eleaf,

We lack deep speed. This is unquestioned. Especially with Bess and Hartline. Marshall himself has been more of a YAC guy than a speed guy, turning 20 yards into 40 and so forth.

The kind of safety help needed for a pair like Marshall/Moss would make life easier on the run game too.

In Madden probably. But you can't make it easier than running against the the front 7. Our team is built to run a power running offense, not some spread and sling it 50 yards downfield 8 times a game type of team.

I've seen Marshall catch plent of deep balls in traffic. He doesn't have awesome speed, but he isn't hurt by it. I've seen Hartline make some nice catches deep. We don't need Randy Moss.

IMO, acquiring him would have been a net loss.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
For the most part. The Miami Org throughout the years has always played it safe with big name trouble makers. They are pretty good at taking on smaller ones.

Its like allowing the Jets to get Holmes for a 5th Rd. pick.

I guess they felt that one prima donna personality was enough to deal with.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

31 teams passed on the waiver wire, not the player. Get this notion out of your head that says if a team doesn't go for a guy, then he must not be worth it.

Ummmm, OK. This makes no sense at all.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Im beginning to think stretching the field is overrated & a passing game of shorter routes with the potential of more yards after catch in the way to go.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I have no problem either way. At this point in his career, Randy is good for running 9 routes, and that is pretty much it as he has never been a precise route runner. He still does demand a double team because of his ability to get deep.

The thing that I can say about Brandon Marshall that I can't say about Randy is that Brandon plays HARD ALL THE TIME when he is on the field. When a pass is headed his way, he does not quit on the play. On the pass interference play in the New England game on the deep ball, it dropped 2 feet away from Moss and he did not even try to catrch the ball. To me, that is just unforgivable.

Either way, Moss is not in Miami, so it time to move on.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Whew... extremely thankful for this... no good would come from signing this scrub... he'd probably go out on the field and propose to Tom Brady the next time we played the Pats...

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:28 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Makchell wrote:
Its to simplistic to believe TN was the only team that wants him. TN is the only team who wanted him at that price tag

Thank you, you added another valid point to not sign him.

think it was about $3,5m we would have had to pay ?????

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It would have been nice to have a trio like Marshall, Bess, and Moss. Teams would have had to go two safeties high and that would have meant good things for our stale running game this year. Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown would probably have been able to get things going for us in the redzone as well since teams would be so occupied with our receivers. It's just too bad. Well, I guess things happen for a reason. Our staff must have had it's motives for not going after the guy. I don't blame them, there is a lot of baggage with a guy like Moss.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:02 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Big Dave wrote:

Now, this is even more disappointing. While I do not like Childress, I think Randy Moss is too full of himself if he thinks he can do this.

Quote:
Randy Moss Told Vikings Owner that Brad Childress Should be Fired
Fri Nov 5, 2010
www.ffmastermind.com

The Star Tribune reports former Minnesota Vikings WR Randy Moss wanted coach Brad Childress to be fired. After catching only one pass for 8 yards in the Vikings' 28-18 loss to the New England Patriots, Moss walked into the visitors' locker room where Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and other executives stood. According to an NFL source familiar with what transpired, Moss told the Vikings owner in no uncertain terms that Childress wasn't a good coach and should be fired.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:51 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Big Dave wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Now, this is even more disappointing. While I do not like Childress, I think Randy Moss is too full of himself if he thinks he can do this.

Quote:
Randy Moss Told Vikings Owner that Brad Childress Should be Fired
Fri Nov 5, 2010
http://www.ffmastermind.com

The Star Tribune reports former Minnesota Vikings WR Randy Moss wanted coach Brad Childress to be fired. After catching only one pass for 8 yards in the Vikings' 28-18 loss to the New England Patriots, Moss walked into the visitors' locker room where Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and other executives stood. According to an NFL source familiar with what transpired, Moss told the Vikings owner in no uncertain terms that Childress wasn't a good coach and should be fired.

:) Poor bastard. A man says what's plainly obvious and what everyone already knows and he looses a job for it. He probly would've been taken a little more serious had it not been for his shady history with other teams (besides the pats)

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]