View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 QB Comparison 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post QB Comparison
Seems we're always using the Brees comparison for measuring Henne. Take a look at Chad Pennington's career numbers. I know the first thing people will point out is that his first full year of starting he had 22 TDs and 6 Ints. Look at the whole resume. In 10 seasons he's only had 3 where he had a significant difference in TDs to Ints. He won games, went through tough times, and built up a great reputation.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chadpenningt ... =PEN375096

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: QB Comparison
Give Henne some time. I'd like to see what he could do with a better TE and the ability to open up his passing game a bit. I'd also like to see him play with a bruising ground game and some consistent play calling.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

In 10 seasons he's only had 3 where he had a significant difference in TDs to Ints. He won games, went through tough times, and built up a great reputation

And never won a SB. If that's the kind of player you want, cool. I don't. I want a playmaker that can win games for us and win the SB. Whether Henne is the guy I don't know, but what I do know is that we need draft a QB every year for competion and the what if factor.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:42 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
Give Henne some time. I'd like to see what he could do with a better TE and the ability to open up his passing game a bit. I'd also like to see him play with a bruising ground game and some consistent play calling.

I agree that there are pieces missing. But as a QB ultimately it falls on you, and regardless of who you blame he threw 3 picks and 0 TD's.

I'm not giving up on him. I'm still confident he'll develop into a solid starter.

Shane Vereen, April 2011!!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
In 10 seasons he's only had 3 where he had a significant difference in TDs to Ints. He won games, went through tough times, and built up a great reputation

And never won a SB. If that's the kind of player you want, cool. I don't. I want a playmaker that can win games for us and win the SB. Whether Henne is the guy I don't know, but what I do know is that we need draft a QB every year for competion and the what if factor.

Neither did Dan Marino or Jim Kelly. You wouldn't take them?

Would you prefer Trent Dilfer to Pennington?

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good point, but Henne couldn't tie Marino's shows as of right now.

I honestly don't know.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
jammer wrote:

I agree that there are pieces missing. But as a QB ultimately it falls on you, and regardless of who you blame he threw 3 picks and 0 TD's.

I'm not giving up on him. I'm still confident he'll develop into a solid starter.

Shane Vereen, April 2011!!

He gets his share of the blame, no question. But people are calling for Pennington. Pennington is also considered one of the better QBs of the decade so I provided his numbers. Point is you can't say Henne isn't the guy. Its irritating watching him stumble, but put the whole package into perspective.

I have my doubts too. But the more I let the emotion from today fade and start looking at the big picture the more I'm not willing to give up on the guy just yet.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Good point, but Henne couldn't tie Marino's shows as of right now.

I honestly don't know.

Keep the faith Mak.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
And never won a SB.

Neither did Marino...

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:08 pm

jammer wrote:
He gets his share of the blame, no question. But people are calling for Pennington. Pennington is also considered one of the better QBs of the decade so I provided his numbers. Point is you can't say Henne isn't the guy. Its irritating watching him stumble, but put the whole package into perspective.

I have my doubts too. But the more I let the emotion from today fade and start looking at the big picture the more I'm not willing to give up on the guy just yet.

Those are pretty much my general thoughts to the dot.

I WILL NOT call Henne a bust until at least the end of next season. If he doesn't show it by then, then it's time to move on. But right now it's ludicrous to call for a change.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:23 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Henne is doing fine. Go back and look at the career of Elway. Many QB's take a few years to find their feet. Some are held back by OC's who are limiting their ability. My suspicion is we have the same problem with Henne

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't have a problem taking a qb with every draft. What I do have a problem with is giving up second rounders every year or two for guys who don't pan out. Of all the 2nd rounders we have given for a qb over the past ten years, Henne is easily the one with the most promise and best results. I don't see why people are ready to throw the towel in on the guy. If this regime wants to draft a qb after the 5th round next year, I wouldnt complain about it. Its good to have fresh blood in camp to up the competition and to see if you can hit a diamond in the rough.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I don't want Pennington or Thigpen to start.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne can make the throws...he's made some dumb ones, and bad throws...but the fact is, he isn't getting much help. When the defense only forces ONE punt, and that end ups netting Baltimore a first down, your receivers continue to drop passes, and your running game is as inconsistent as it comes...it's tough to be the greatest quarterback that ever played.

This is his first full season, and he's already shown the ability to make all the throws...throws that Pennington hasn't been able to make in his entire career, and more consistent than Thigpen ever will be. Henne already has more yards than John Beck, Cleo Lemon and A.J. Feeley had with the Dolphins combined.

He's got a completion percentage that is only 2nd in Miami history, quarterback rating that is only 3rd. He threw two consecutive 300 yard games, which was the first time that happened since 1998 when Dan Marino did it.

Listen guys, compare to the guys Miami has thrown in and out at the quarterback position the last 10 years, Chad Henne is great. And he's only played in 24 games, 21 of which were starts. That's just over a season.

Through those 24 games, Henne has 4875 yards, 21 TD, 24 INTS, 0 fumbles lost, and 38 sacks
Joe Flacco through 24 games- 3905, 22 TD, 17 INTS, 2 fumbles lost, and 37 sacks

Flacco has less yards because Baltimore has a more consistent running game. Flacco has had Todd Heap, and a veteran receiver in Mason. Baltimore's defense has certainly been a lot better than the Dolphins over these periods.

Chad Henne is very good...he's just at the point where he can take the team on his shoulders and win games by himself...and some of you are frustrated by that.
Let's play some defense and catch the football...Henne will look so much better then.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Henne is doing fine. Go back and look at the career of Elway. Many QB's take a few years to find their feet. Some are held back by OC's who are limiting their ability. My suspicion is we have the same problem with Henne

Unfortunately we seem to have faded from that era when QBs were given time to prove themselves. Now it seems if you don't have it by year 3 there is a regime change.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:02 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Iowafin wrote:
Henne can make the throws...he's made some dumb ones, and bad throws...but the fact is, he isn't getting much help. When the defense only forces ONE punt, and that end ups netting Baltimore a first down, your receivers continue to drop passes, and your running game is as inconsistent as it comes...it's tough to be the greatest quarterback that ever played.

This is his first full season, and he's already shown the ability to make all the throws...throws that Pennington hasn't been able to make in his entire career, and more consistent than Thigpen ever will be. Henne already has more yards than John Beck, Cleo Lemon and A.J. Feeley had with the Dolphins combined.

He's got a completion percentage that is only 2nd in Miami history, quarterback rating that is only 3rd. He threw two consecutive 300 yard games, which was the first time that happened since 1998 when Dan Marino did it.

Listen guys, compare to the guys Miami has thrown in and out at the quarterback position the last 10 years, Chad Henne is great. And he's only played in 24 games, 21 of which were starts. That's just over a season.

Through those 24 games, Henne has 4875 yards, 21 TD, 24 INTS, 0 fumbles lost, and 38 sacks

Flacco has less yards because Baltimore has a more consistent running game. Flacco has had Todd Heap, and a veteran receiver in Mason. Baltimore's defense has certainly been a lot better than the Dolphins over these periods.

Chad Henne is very good...he's just at the point where he can take the team on his shoulders and win games by himself...and some of you are frustrated by that.
Let's play some defense and catch the football...Henne will look so much better then.

I agree completely, he is not at a level yet where he can do it all by himself.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:08 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:

You know we have had our disagreements, mostly due to the Big Ten rivalry, but I must say, this is the BEST POST YET!!! Excellent points, well said sir!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]