View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Penny in, Henne Out 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Penny in, Henne Out
Sparano just announced the change "for the rest of the season". Sun Sentinael

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Penny in, Henne Out
Miami Dolphins.com had quotes from Sparano. Didn't say anything about the rest of the season.

But I still say STUPID STUPID STUPID. This season is all but mathematically over. We need to give Henne time to develop. Putting him on the bench is nothing more than a setback for the franchise.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I didn't see anywhere where it said "the rest of the season" but Pennington is going to start against the Titans.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 0544.story

Quote:
DAVIE —
The struggling Miami Dolphins are making a change at quarterback.

Head coach Tony Sparano said Wednesday Chad Pennington will be the starting quarterback in place of Chad Henne at home Sunday against the Tennesee Titans.

"This is not an indictment on Chad Henne, not an indictment on his future," Sparano said. "At this particular time this is something I feel I need to do"

Pennington had been told earlier to expect a heavier workload in practice during this week's preparation for the Titans, and Chad Henne's been put on notice that he must start producing at a higher level within the next two games.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

PADOLFAN wrote:

:cry:

I have officially just lost all faith & confidence in this regime....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 am

My Opinion: DUMB MOVE

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Apparently coaches are knee jerk as well.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Head coach Tony Sparano said Wednesday Chad Pennington will be the starting quarterback in place of Chad Henne at home Sunday against the Tennesee Titans.

"This is not an indictment on Chad Henne, not an indictment on his future," Sparano said. "At this particular time this is something I feel I need to do"

Not sure I believe anything that comes out of this guy's mouth anymore. Of course its an indictment on Henne. They've either lost faith in him or his teammates have.

I'd be more curious to know if this is something he was pressured to do by the rest of the team or if he did it on his own how it will effect the locker room.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

To bad we can't replace Henning. I think we'll all agree that he is more of a problem than Henne. I feel bad for Henne.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5788311

on ESPN

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
PADOLFAN wrote:

This is by far the dumbest move they have made. You need to give Henne the chance to develop.

By benching him you are either just not giving him that chance or you are saying that you decided that he isn't the future, after just 21 games as a starter.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Starting a fire Sparano thread on Facebook.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Wow, just wow....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:10 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I didn't see anywhere where it said "the rest of the season" but Pennington is going to start against the Titans.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 0544.story

Quote:
DAVIE —
The struggling Miami Dolphins are making a change at quarterback.

Pennington had been told earlier to expect a heavier workload in practice during this week's preparation for the Titans, and Chad Henne's been put on notice that he must start producing at a higher level within the next two games.

How do you expect Henne to produce at a higher level if he's on the bench? Sparano is an idiot that is jumping ship to try and save his and Dan Henning's asses! Yes Henne had a bad game against the Ravens, but I can recall a Chad Pennington that lost twice to the Ravens and threw 5 interceptions in the playoffs against them. I hope Pennington does well, but I'm just not so sure. This move will hurt our team sometime down the road.
:hithead: :hithead: :hithead:

Last edited by wkloiber13 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It seems like the coaching staff is giving up on the season.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

oldgreg07 wrote:
It seems like the coaching staff is giving up on the season.

I think it says they're going all in this season and giving up on the future... but that's just me.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'll be honest, I don't see Pennington lasting long. The ground game can't make up for his deficiencies with arm strength and he's either going to get hurt or produce the same results.

If this is a must win now team some other questions have to be answered:

Why was Will Allen put on IR?
Why wasn't Randy Moss claimed?
Why was Camarillo let go while Hartline is still developing?
Why weren't veteran options considered for the secondary when Clemons, Smith and J Allen were question marks?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Sparano will live or die by this decision.. If it works, he will be praised, if it fails.... perhaps Cowher?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
PADOLFAN wrote:

AMEN!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:18 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Man, I think I am totally out of touch with this team.

Well, at least it has given us something to argue about. Since Parcells took over the team, there has not been a boring month.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Tune in to the Chad Pennington Press Briefing on miamidolphins.com at 2:45 pm. Should be interesting.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

joeschmoe wrote:
Sparano will live or die by this decision.. If it works, he will be praised, if it fails.... perhaps Cowher?

That would be my first choice, and I think it would keep Nolan here. But Cower philosophy isnt too far off of Sparano's

Chucky loves Henne... (Chucky being Gruden)

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

WHAT??? What is going on? were 4-4 losing to the 4 best teams in football and we bench the future of the franchise? i dont know what to think!!! People are overreacting way too much and i think the coaching staff is making a huge mistake!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think we were all mistaken.. MiamiDolphins.com says that Penny will start at cornerback for us. NOW it all makes sense.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've said this before, but the pressure from Ross to win is starting to come down on these guys. I expected this. It's Sparano's azz on this line.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:34 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

I hope I am proven wrong but I feel this is a bad mistake, very disappointed right now.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well as I have said before I thought Pennington should have started the season. I am suprised at the move at this point. I still think that given they started Henne they should give him more time to develop. I would think a change would come now only if they have determined that he is not in the future plans of the Dolphins. If they have made that determination then I must applaud them for making the change.

I think we will have a better record this year because of the change.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Absolutely stupid move, Sparano should be fired today. He is nuts.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

haha I had a hunch this might happen, but it could be for the good. This definitely means we are going to start running the ball more often. And it could come to our advantage seeing as how Henning is a puss and doesn't like to air the football out. I got excited when I saw Penny throwing the pigskin at the game this past sunday, I'm not going to lie!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

I can remember a coach that was fired from the New England Patriots because he continued to play a veteran quarterback named Drew Bledsoe and couldn't take his team where they wanted to go. After that coach was removed they brought in a new guy who started a young Michigan quarterback named Tom Brady. The rest is history.
If you ask me, this will be the decision that gets Sparano fired. Hopefully the next guy will come in and take us to greatness. The current coaches are too afraid to let our offense go anywhere. Henning and Sparano are holding us back, not the players.

Last edited by wkloiber13 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

joeschmoe wrote:
This move can only fail. Miami got out played Sunday & it had very little to do with Henne. Henne was not allowing Ray Rice & McGhee to run 20 screen passes for big Yds. Henne was not the one who stopped running the ball after the first series of dominating the Ravens D. Etc.....

This is Sparano making a move for the sake of doing something, since he obviously has no clue as to why those other things were done to Miami on Sunday.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Very saddened by this. How is Henne supposed to learn from his mistakes. Hope this is just a 1 week thing and Henne is back vs. the Bears.

:boo: :boo:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

With Pennington in Henning really doesnt do alot....

Pennington knows the playbook, reads the defense and will call it from the huddle and change it at the line...

Pennington's mental ability is not in question... I just wish he had the physical ability.. Good thing our O line is doing great in QB protection, he will have all day to find the open guy, just only has about 20 - 30 yards of field to work with.....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

I can remember a coach that was fired from the New England Patriots because he continued to play a veteran quarterback named Drew Bledsoe and couldn't take his team where they wanted to go. After that coach was removed they brought in a new guy who started a young Michigan quarterback named Tom Brady. The rest is history.
If you ask me, this will be the decision that gets Sparano fired. Hopefully the next guy will come in and take us to greatness. The current coaches are too afraid to let our offense go anywhere. Henning and Sparano are holding us back, not the players.

The young Michigan QB only started after the veteran got hurt, no?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
This move can only fail. Miami got out played Sunday & it had very little to do with Henne. Henne was not allowing Ray Rice & McGhee to run 20 screen passes for big Yds. Henne was not the one who stopped running the ball after the first series of dominating the Ravens D. Etc.....

This is Sparano making a move for the sake of doing something, since he obviously has no clue as to why those other things were done to Miami on Sunday.

I agree. The only way this changes a lot is if Henne is that bad of a leader and teammates have lost faith in him. I would think Brandon Marshall would have already spouted off had that been the case.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Man, came here thinking that Warren Sapp would have been signed....and saw this!! Wow! Perhaps Hennington (when at his best) is more suited for the conservative plays of the Henning variety? Still, this teams problems really transcend Henne at this point.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hab321 wrote:
To bad we can't replace Henning. I think we'll all agree that he is more of a problem than Henne. I feel bad for Henne.

If by "we all" you mean "you", sure. I don't agree that Henning is the problem at all. He has called some head scratchers, but I don't think he's cost us any games.

Simply put, Henning isn't the one throwing bad balls in to traffic on Sundays, and blaming it on him is stupid.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile WWW

"Hennington"....

:)

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
hab321 wrote:

If by "we all" you mean "you", sure. I don't agree that Henning is the problem at all. He has called some head scratchers, but I don't think he's cost us any games.

Simply put, Henning isn't the one throwing bad balls in to traffic on Sundays, and blaming it on him is stupid.

To be fair, Henne isn't the one falling down on routes, tipping passes or dropping balls either. He's also not the one calling WC plays at odd times, abandoning the run when it starts working, and deciding that a dink and dunk offense will succeed without a good running game.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I'm very dissapointed in this move.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

degs wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

The young Michigan QB only started after the veteran got hurt, no?

This is true. Tom Brady got his chance when Drew Bledsoe got crushed by Mo Lewis on a sideline hit.

I have to say I am surprised by the move. I guess the staff feels that Henne is just not doing a good enough job of protecting the ball in regards to interceptions.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next