View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Penny in, Henne Out 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Penny in, Henne Out
From Armando Salguero:

Quote:
They're flying by the seat of their pants now. They're in win-now mode now. Suddenly that building toward something, that going forward always with an eye on the future is just noise.

Henne benched; Pennington starts vs. Titans

Salguero has never been more right. He does bring up an interesting point with Pennington & Moss. Miami made a huge mistake not going after Moss.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Even the coaches are kneejerk

Hmmm. Why don't some of you become coaches since you seem to know so much about football? Remember, I don't watch football and I don't think when I post. I guess the coaches don't watch their own games as well then. Reality is that it all starts with the QB. Look what happened to ARZ when Warner left. QBs need to be the leader, show a little emotion. Really, though, what has Henne done to inspire any confidence? When you throw more picks than TDs, what do you think is going to happen? I guess we'll see if the recievers run the wrong routes, fall down, or if passes gets tipped with Pennington in. The coaches have access to film that I'm sure gets broken down. They see things that we don't.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

They're flying by the seat of their pants now. They're in win-now mode now. Suddenly that building toward something, that going forward always with an eye on the future is just noise.

we bench the future of the franchise

Maybe they feel they don't have the QB of the future to build around.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I can't say that I'm not curious to see how Penny will be able to utilize Marshall out in the field. But I'm also not convinced that Penny will remain the starter for the rest of the season.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

Salguero has never been more right. He does bring up an interesting point with Pennington & Moss. Miami made a huge mistake not going after Moss.

I still think so as well .... the only player that would've spread out the field for Marshall and the rest of the offense.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:

:) I can see it now, Moss goes deep, he beats his man, Pennington throws, the ball hits the turf 20 yards behind Moss....

:pumpiron:

I cant believe this... The aftermath scares me the most, this move blows up in Sparanos face I cant see him making it to 2011, and Ireland is either on board or he may be gone too....

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We need to bench the coaches !!! Sparano and Henning need to watch from the sidelines to see how to actually coach a game!!!!.. We are done !!!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What did Henne do to loose the job? I know Pennington didn't win it, so I want to know what Henne did to loose it? 1,900 yards 9 TDs 10 Ints and 63.5 Comp%.

Tuna? Where'd ya go?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Lol I'm not so sure we're going to lose more games because of Pennington... I'm more concerned about our once again questionable future as far as the QB position goes.

Is the best case scenario that we completely bomb and end up with a high enough pick to get a top tier guy out of college? lol

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
Lol I'm not so sure we're going to lose more games because of Pennington... I'm more concerned about our once again questionable future as far as the QB position goes.
I am.

IamPZ wrote:

Is the best case scenario that we completely bomb and end up with a high enough pick to get a top tier guy out of college? lol

Just so they can turn on him when times are not perfect. I'll pass.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

All in all .... they weren't running the ball well. They didn't have enough confidence in Henne to let the man audible nor (apparently) do they think he can carry the entire offense. They're only being given the short/intermediate areas of the field on passing downs by defenses. They're trying to save the season and stay in the hunt ...... That's how you got Penny.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Marshall's stat line for the end of the season 200 catches 1,100 yards 5 touchdowns. (with Pennington at Quarterback)

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Even the coaches are kneejerk

Hmmm. Why don't some of you become coaches since you seem to know so much about football? Remember, I don't watch football and I don't think when I post. I guess the coaches don't watch their own games as well then. Reality is that it all starts with the QB. Look what happened to ARZ when Warner left. QBs need to be the leader, show a little emotion. Really, though, what has Henne done to inspire any confidence? When you throw more picks than TDs, what do you think is going to happen? I guess we'll see if the recievers run the wrong routes, fall down, or if passes gets tipped with Pennington in. The coaches have access to film that I'm sure gets broken down. They see things that we don't.

Right because coaches are never wrong.

How about the coaches stick to the game plan and mentality that they claim they are built on?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

From Omar Kelly's twitter:

Sources told me the Dolphins made this change because they really need to know if the problem's the OFFENSE (Henning) or the trigger man.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Anybody who backs this move needs to follow tennis, football is over your heads.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Sources told me the Dolphins made this change because they really need to know if the problem's the OFFENSE (Henning) or the trigger man.

I'll be curious to see if there's a difference too.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

This is .......I can't even describe in words how pissed off I am at this news.

WAKE UP COACH. IT'S NOT YOUR QUARTERBACK. IT'S YOU AND YOUR SYSTEM.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

jammer wrote:

Well, that should be self evident already. I run a business here in Md. with ironically enough 53 employees. When we have a weekly meeting over the positives and the negatives of the previous week we break it down day by day and try to determine where we did good, bad and why. People get second chances and sometimes third chances but one thing I will not tolerate is saying you will do something and not doing it.
If you say you are going to commit to the run, do it, or be gone!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Personally, this looks more like a shot across Henne's bow, or Sparano trying to light a match under his butt to get him re-focused and moving in the right direction again, than it looks like a "win now" move or a commentary on Henne's future. Henne's been playing with very little "urgency" in his game the last few weeks. This move should help him "focus" a little better. I'd be surprised if he wasn't the starter again in a game or two, with a more refined intermediate touch, and a more accurate eye toward Brandon Marshall. Chad had a much better on-field chemistry with Marshall during the preseason, so Sunday should be interesting.

Add the waiving of a former 1st round draft pick that leads the team in interceptions, and all players should be on notice that no one not playing hard is off limits. I'd look for them all to play harder Sunday than they have for weeks.

Someone made the point earlier in this thread that the Dolphins have only lost to the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, and Patriots. Losses are never great, but when your team's only losses come against arguably 4 of the 5 best teams in the NFL this year, its disappointing, but not horrible. I personally believe fans have higher hopes for this team than they probably deserve. Coming into this season, everyone knew of their impossible schedule. 9 wins would have been a good season in my eyes, under the circumstances. If their schedule would have included the AFC West and NFC West, 10-11 wins might be possible. But not this year.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
Personally, this looks more like a shot across Henne's bow, or Sparano trying to light a match under his butt to get him re-focused and moving in the right direction again, than it looks like a "win now" move or a commentary on Henne's future..

That was my first thought...but honestly, this regime has shown no competence since the Marshall trade...they've let go of good players, signed losers, drafted strangely, haven't coached/been outcoached, etc. This circus has to stop.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Wow i think its a bad move we should have let the season play out. but honestly the way things are goin henne was going to have a very bad season. He has an INT thrown in the past 6 games i believe. But i believe it always gets worst b4 it gets better. he's young give him time. but i think the staff has seen how good all the other young qbs are doing and you have to admit henne is doing the worst... but still i think this is a bad move maybe things could have turned back on the right track but it shows that they have given up. Im also surprised on how many people are mad about this i always see people bashing henne week in and week out everytime they show something on espn they talk about how us fans always bash the qb.. well maybe some of our phins fans helped the staff make this decision.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

To borrow something from another board that is just to funny.

Quote:
We interrupt this thread to bring you this breaking news:

Miami Dade PD are searching for Anthony Sparano III, age 49. He's wanted for questioning on suspicion of throwing a 25y/o from Michigan under a bus today. If anyone spots a yellow 2010 Nissan Bandwagon, Connecticut license plate "WIN NOW" they're asked to contact the authorities or dial 911. The public are warned not to approach the suspect as Mr. Sparano is believed to be desperate.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Where's all the "bridge jumper" comments now? Funny how that works.

You'd think we just inserted Jamarcus Russell in the lineup.

Shouldn't we take a game to see how Penny looks with Marshall? Or is it signed sealed and delivered that the franchise is free falling?

Not quite signing up for the bus that thinks this ruins Henne's future.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

jgod1 wrote:
Coming into this season, everyone knew of their impossible schedule. 9 wins would have been a good season in my eyes, under the circumstances. If their schedule would have included the AFC West and NFC West, 10-11 wins might be possible. But not this year.

You make a very good point. Thats the exact reason this move is bad, unless Sag's sources are true.

Makes no sense to bench the guy you had enough faith in this past off season to not even have a look at other options. No draft, no FA, aside from resigning Pennington to more of an assistant coaching role, and getting a feesable backup QB in Thigpen, they have done nothing to question Henne..

This better be a "Ok Dan, there you go, ball in your court" move

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Where's all the "bridge jumper" comments now? Funny how that works.

You'd think we just inserted Jamarcus Russell in the lineup.

Shouldn't we take a game to see how Penny looks with Marshall? Or is it signed sealed and delivered that the franchise is free falling?

Not quite signing up for the bus that thinks this ruins Henne's future.

The season isn't over. You've brought in your vet to take on the weaker portion of the schedule. You are now entering 2008 again. Does this team have a young guy they trust with the future?

The only way this would work out long term for Sparano is if Henne turns it around.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

The season isn't over. You've brought in your vet to take on the weaker portion of the schedule. You are now entering 2008 again. Does this team have a young guy they trust with the future?

The only way this would work out long term for Sparano is if Henne turns it around.

Let's go with the blatantly obvious here ..... Sparano doesn't have the kind of time that Henne's going to need to develop, at least not this year. The influence of Ross is quite clear here, especially after pronouncing a run to the Super Bowl.

They CLEARLY will not fire Dan Henning. Why? Couldn't tell ya. Regardless they know that Penny can run his offense effectively. Explosively? We've yet to ever see that due to his limitations. Then again, he's never had a guy like Marshall to throw to. Penny is also a QB they trust to audible and can flawlessly run a playaction pass. Could potentially change the dynamic of the offense.

If they were going to make this move, they had to make it now. Everyone here thinks Henne is this tough minded competitor, so how is it he's suddenly not tough enough to take a temporary benching?

Again, this screams of time constraint. Don't know why everyone is so surprised. We are expected to compete with expensive free agent acquisitions like Dansby and the trade for Marshall. That's just how football works.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

For the record, Henne has a 78.2 rating through 8 games, Sanchez has a 79.4. Henne has 1 TD and 5 picks in the last 3 games, Sanchez has 2 TD's and 5 picks over the same time frame. We lost to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, beat Cinnci. They lost to GB and beat Detroit and Denver. Nobody is talking about benching the Sanchise.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
For the record, Henne has a 78.2 rating through 8 games, Sanchez has a 79.4. Henne has 1 TD and 5 picks in the last 3 games, Sanchez has 2 TD's and 5 picks over the same time frame. We lost to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, beat Cinnci. They lost to GB and beat Detroit and Denver. Nobody is talking about benching the Sanchise.

They have Mark Brunell as the back up. Reason enough. If they had a capable QB to back him up, then they wouldn't take such a "let it ride" stance on Sanchez.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Regardless they know that Penny can run his offense effectively. Explosively? We've yet to ever see that due to his limitations. Then again, he's never had a guy like Marshall to throw to. Penny is also a QB they trust to audible and can flawlessly run a playaction pass. Could potentially change the dynamic of the offense.

So defenses now not having to drop back for Henne's stronger arm will suddenly lay off Marshall more? Henne has thrown the ball to Marshall plenty. He can't do much because he is immediately tackled by double and triple coverage.

The one game a defense played man coverage Marshall had 10 catches and a TD. Henne also happened to be on fire that game.

The only thing I will agree with is that this is a great test of Henne's mental toughness and humility.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

For the record, Henne has a 78.2 rating through 8 games, Sanchez has a 79.4. Henne has 1 TD and 5 picks in the last 3 games, Sanchez has 2 TD's and 5 picks over the same time frame. We lost to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, beat Cinnci. They lost to GB and beat Detroit and Denver. Nobody is talking about benching the Sanchise

Funny how Mike and Mike in the morning were saying yesterday that the Jets will never win a SB with Sanchez playing inconsistant football.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

They have Mark Brunell as the back up. Reason enough. If they had a capable QB to back him up, then they wouldn't take such a "let it ride" stance on Sanchez.

You have inside info to back that up?
My point is I believe they get it with regards to allowing a QB to develop. That and the fact I believe Rex doesn't play scared.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Makchell wrote:
For the record, Henne has a 78.2 rating through 8 games, Sanchez has a 79.4. Henne has 1 TD and 5 picks in the last 3 games, Sanchez has 2 TD's and 5 picks over the same time frame. We lost to Pittsburgh and Baltimore, beat Cinnci. They lost to GB and beat Detroit and Denver. Nobody is talking about benching the Sanchise

Funny how Mike and Mike in the morning were saying yesterday that the Jets will never win a SB with Sanchez playing inconsistant football.

Ok I will amend "nobody" to nobody relevant.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

That can be said about all 32 starting QBs in the league.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Sanchez played consistently bad all year and his team picked him up in the playoffs. Henne hasn't played half as bad but his team isn't doing much to help.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
My point is I believe they get it with regards to allowing a QB to develop. That and the fact I believe Rex doesn't play scared.

What? Have you not seen Brunell the last few years in the NFL? I don't need inside information. It's quite clear. Not everything needs to be spelled out directly on a marker board for me to read it.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

What? Have you not seen Brunell the last few years in the NFL? I don't need inside information. It's quite clear. Not everything needs to be spelled out directly on a marker board for me to read it.

Ohhh, so it's your opinion, nuff said!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Regardless they know that Penny can run his offense effectively. Explosively? We've yet to ever see that due to his limitations. Then again, he's never had a guy like Marshall to throw to. Penny is also a QB they trust to audible and can flawlessly run a playaction pass. Could potentially change the dynamic of the offense.

So defenses now not having to drop back for Henne's stronger arm will suddenly lay off Marshall more? Henne has thrown the ball to Marshall plenty. He can't do much because he is immediately tackled by double and triple coverage.

The one game a defense played man coverage Marshall had 10 catches and a TD. Henne also happened to be on fire that game.

The only thing I will agree with is that this is a great test of Henne's mental toughness and humility.

Audibles and playaction passes .... these are two things Penny does better than Henne (and is allowed to) ..... it will change some of the things the offense can do. That's why I am saying with this season on the line, wait to see how Penny performs with a stud. He had none before.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

As is yours.

Have fun believing Mark Brunell is a capable back up of leading the Super Bowl contending Jets.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Im done with this coaching staff. I personally hope we lose every game the rest of the way. Sporano and Henning are a joke. I couldn't be more confused, upset, and dismayed by this move. This has CYA written all over it. Honestly this makes me sick to my stomach and ashamed to be a fan of this franchise. What clowns

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

As is yours.

Have fun believing Mark Brunell is a capable back up of leading the Super Bowl contending Jets.

Actually Brunell threw one pass this year for 7 yards, played in one game last year and that's it since he was a starter in Washington in 2006. Obviously they feel he is decent if he's the backup.
You are almost saying then no matter what Sanchez doesn't get benched because Brunell is so bad? I believe it is because they know they will have to take some lumps, and again they aren't scared of them.
I believe Sparano is scared and making this move for the sake of making it.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next