View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Chad Pennington: "Not fair when it's not your fault" 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Chad Pennington: "Not fair when it's not your fault"
Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

I guess its impossible for someone to disagree with them and be correct.

Under a scenario that has yet to play out or be cemented? IF you haven't noticed yet, we haven't seen the results yet.

Henne wasn't the main issue holding the team back. Pennington isn't going to cure the other that are really dragging Miami down.

If you have faith that the coaching staff has made the proper evaluations then you and I are miles apart in opinion.

I think Pennington will produce about as well as Henne has given the state of the team. That doesn't mean interceptions, just means they aren't going to suddenly score 30 pts a game and drive into the playoffs.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Henne wasn't the main issue holding the team back. Pennington isn't going to cure the other that are really dragging Miami down.

If you have faith that the coaching staff has made the proper evaluations then you and I are miles apart in opinion.

I think Pennington will produce about as well as Henne has given the state of the team. That doesn't mean interceptions, just means they aren't going to suddenly score 30 pts a game and drive into the playoffs.

I never said Henne was the main issue, but he's clearly a part of it. Yet it stands that the QB position is the leader of the offense.

I have faith because I've seen Penny play in this offense before. I know what his skill sets are. Now before anyone gets exaggerative of my post, I am not saying he's going to come in and torch opposing secondaries. However, he has proven to be extremely accurate, knows the play book, is trusted to call audibles (which will help tremendously), his teammates love him, and is one of the best playaction QB's in the game. Again, if this were Jamarcus Russell we were bringing in "just for the sake of change" with a hope and a prayer then I'd understand the gripes. Henne hasn't accomplished anything in this league. The season is on the line and the FO feels more comfortable going with a proven commodity at this time.

This move gives me a little bit of hope that we can salvage this season because as it stood - Henne/Henning don't mix. This much is obvious. Easier to replace the QB with one capable of starting then to blow up the offensive coaching staff and philosophy midseason.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Easier to replace the QB with one capable of starting then to blow up the offensive coaching staff and philosophy midseason.

Have they even shown a philosophy this season?

I thought it was a run first team that focused on ball control. Certainly hasn't been the case.

I'm glad someone has faith because this regime has lost my confidence in them.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Easier to replace the QB with one capable of starting then to blow up the offensive coaching staff and philosophy midseason.

They really haven't. I've been saying since preseason this team needs to find an identity...they certainly have not done that.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

All I know is we have a new owner that wants us to be a sexy football team. He want's the glitz and glam out there on Sundays. This "vanilla" playcalling and losing at home will end Sparano and Co. if they can't turn things around. I think this move was Sparano trying to spark something in his football team. He's trying to ignite our team and get them going because I think Sparano doesn't know why we are so mediocre right now. He can't change his offensive coordinator right now so I think he feels like he has to create that spark at the quarterback position. Sparano has a very good football team that he and his staff are making mediocre through uninspired coaching. Maybe next year we change coordinators or maybe even head coaches, then Henne can come back and succeed?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I thought it was a run first team that focused on ball control. Certainly hasn't been the case.

I'm glad someone has faith because this regime has lost my confidence in them.

Regardless of whether they've shown "consistency" in it, they still have a way they do things and a reason for doing them (or not) .....

As for the faith, I have a shred of it left because of what I know about Penny. In the last 8 weeks, I've felt the offense has left a lot of plays on the field. There are things that I've mentioned ad nauseum that I feel he does better. I'm curious to see if the offense will react to him better than they have with Henne back there. We certainly won't see the same kinds of restrictions placed on him.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Regardless of whether they've shown "consistency" in it, they still have a way they do things and a reason for doing them (or not) .....

I'd say coaches not sticking to a formula they preach is a pretty big deal. Maybe that's why they look clueless out there and are being questioned by more than just fans in a forum.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I'd say coaches not sticking to a formula they preach is a pretty big deal. Maybe that's why they look clueless out there and are being questioned by more than just fans in a forum.

Who said it wasn't a big deal?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

To be honest, I've defended these guys for a while. I actually admired them for sticking with their young QB and preaching patience, especially with the position. I've argued constantly that Henne isn't going deep because they are getting him to master the management side of the short and intermediate throws.

This move goes against everything they've said. When you take the time to look at the season, the way they have played games has been against the way the team was built. Where has the pound the run been? The blocking has been bad but they could have still produced something. The only game where they went down quick and played serious catch up was the Jets game. It happened to be one of Henne's better games.

If its a win-now/salvage the season mode why did they:

elect to go with a discount/young o-line
bring in a young/inexperienced receiving corp
have Starks spend a transition year at NT
have 3/4th's of the secondary be second year players and IR Will Allen
not go after a quality #2 TE and experiement with rookies and rejects from other teams
start a rookie and question mark (although Wake has emerged, I'll concede that) at OLB

The move and the mentality just doesn't add up when looking at the big picture.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

Didn't you just say regardless of their consistency? I take that as consistency isn't a big deal, maybe I'm wrong.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Didn't you just say regardless of their consistency? I take that as consistency isn't a big deal, maybe I'm wrong.

No.

I said they had a philosophy regardless of whether it was consistent or not. Not that the inconsistency wasn't a big deal.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

No.

I said they had a philosophy regardless of whether it was consistent or not. Not that the inconsistency wasn't a big deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having a philosophy, whether on the football field or in life, is usually believing in something and following it.

If they aren't being consistent are they actually following a philosophy? And if they have one, why wouldn't they follow it?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
If its a win-now/salvage the season mode why did they:

elect to go with a discount/young o-line
bring in a young/inexperienced receiving corp
have Starks spend a transition year at NT
have 3/4th's of the secondary be second year players and IR Will Allen
not go after a quality #2 TE and experiement with rookies and rejects from other teams
start a rookie and question mark (although Wake has emerged, I'll concede that) at OLB

The move and the mentality just doesn't add up when looking at the big picture.

Why did they make those moves? Because they thought in their minds they were the right ones to make - simple as that.

but ......young inexperienced WR core? That's all you can say about them? They brought in Brandon Marshall! Davone Bess is heralded as one of the best slot receivers and route runners in the league! Hartline has been the inconsistent one. What did they have prior to this? Ted Ginn-complete? Greg Camarillo?

Starks is no longer at NT (was forced their because of Fergy) and if you haven't noticed Soliai is playing is butt off and has suddenly turned into a most improved player candidate.

TE's I'll concede ... alas it doesn't seem to be a position they demand a lot from.

The secondary was looking darn good last year. There was a lot of hope for Smith/VD. The safeties everyone knew needed to be shuffled.

Regardless of the O-lines inconsistent run blocking, they've played nicely in pass protection.

Their own owner blatantly called out a Super Bowl run. Sparano and the rest of the organization felt like they were being slept on prior to the start of the season. They clearly didn't think that they'd be sitting at 4-4, with no home wins and the inconsistencies they're dealing with - which includes the quarterback position ..... and AGAIN they have a capable starter in Pennington whom they want to see if he can put in a spark in the offense.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having a philosophy, whether on the football field or in life, is usually believing in something and following it.

If they aren't being consistent are they actually following a philosophy? And if they have one, why wouldn't they follow it?

Bro, for the last time they have a philosophy .... it's been the same since SIP got here. CONSERVATIVE and BALL CONTROL. Whether they've stuck to it this season is a whole different story .... some of that has been because of game conditions and other times it's been a mystery. Sorry, but I doubt they went into this year going "You know what, gosh darn it we're just gonna wing it!"

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yeah, they made the moves because they wanted to build a young, solid team that would grow. When you do that you have to expect growing pains. They are 4-4, not 1-7. Given their talent and experience they are right where they should be.

Its still a very young receiving corp. They have Brandon Marshall and role players. Bess is good but is thriving because Marshall draws so much attention. (Look at Welker's performances post-Moss)

With Starks it goes back to the beginning of the season. I'm glad Soliai is improving. But transitioning Starks to nose would mean a year of working out the kinks at a new position.

The secondary showed promise, but again they are 2nd year players. The expectation is different from a veteran/win now set up.

If you've built your team around a ground game its pretty important to have good run blocking.

I get that they want more, but what they think they should be and their design for the team don't add up. If it was a win now approach they should have kept a few more vets around or brought in some vets to lead the team.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:48 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Bro, for the last time they have a philosophy .... it's been the same since SIP got here. CONSERVATIVE and BALL CONTROL. Whether they've stuck to it this season is a whole different story .... some of that has been because of game conditions and other times it's been a mystery. Sorry, but I doubt they went into this year going "You know what, gosh darn it we're just gonna wing it!"

Look bro, no one is denying they came in saying they were a "meat and potatoes/running/disciplined/ball control team.

But they play like they don't have a philosophy. They claim this identity but go away from it. Its inconsistent football. Its the major problem. The only game they stuck to their philosophy was the Minnesota game. The only game where they had to go away from it was the Jets game. The rest doesn't really add up.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Yeah, they made the moves because they wanted to build a young, solid team that would grow. When you do that you have to expect growing pains. They are 4-4, not 1-7. Given their talent and experience they are right where they should be.

The FO and players have openly stated they have felt differently, regardless of the current record and your analysis of that record.

Quote:
Its still a very young receiving corp. They have Brandon Marshall and role players. Bess is good but is thriving because Marshall draws so much attention. (Look at Welker's performances post-Moss)

Bess has talent. He wouldn't be doing what he's done if he didn't, regardless of Marshall. Marshall BTW is one of the top receivers in the league regardless of age.

Quote:
With Starks it goes back to the beginning of the season. I'm glad Soliai is improving. But transitioning Starks to nose would mean a year of working out the kinks at a new position.

Again, they didn't have a choice. Moving Starks was determined their only option as a replacement. Drafting a rookie NT and starting him would be more of what you're getting at.

Quote:
The secondary showed promise, but again they are 2nd year players. The expectation is different from a veteran/win now set up.

If you've built your team around a ground game its pretty important to have good run blocking.

I get that they want more, but what they think they should be and their design for the team don't add up. If it was a win now approach they should have kept a few more vets around or brought in some vets to lead the team.

Jammer .... go read the comments from everyone in this organization prior to the start of this year. They had higher expectations than what you're seeing.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock...every team has great expectations going into the year.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rock...every team has great expectations going into the year.

Who cares what other teams expect. We're talking about the Miami Dolphins. What they "expect" directly leads to their approach.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Brandon Marshall still think we'll be in the playoffs, no matter who the quarterback is!
Why am I not convinced???

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2