View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Chad Pennington: "Not fair when it's not your fault" 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Chad Pennington: "Not fair when it's not your fault"
That says it all...

This, combined with Omar Kelly's tweet about this move being made to see if Henning is the guy, rather than Henne the QB, say it all....It's the system, not the QB.

That said, if they are going to be stubborn as hell about the system, and the number 1 priority is winning now, Pennington wins more games in 2010 than Henne.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/video?bcpi ... 1191682001

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Chad Pennington: "Not fair when it's not your fault"
Phins Rock wrote:
That says it all...

This, combined with Omar Kelly's tweet about this move being made to see if Henning is the guy, rather than Henne the QB, say it all....It's the system, not the QB.

That said, if they are going to be stubborn as hell about the system, and the number 1 priority is winning now, Pennington wins more games in 2010 than Henne.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/video?bcpi ... 1191682001

Kind of hard pressed to change an entire system and philosophy mid-season. So what did they do? Insert the guy who they trusted to run it previously. Will be able to audible and has a lovely play-action pass.

Next year, whole new ball game. If Sparano/Ireland want fan support, then they'll opt to can Henning. Regardless of what we do this year he's got to go.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Pennington will fail miserably and Henning will be fired in 2 weeks.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphinjim wrote:

Oh what a dream come true if it played out that way......

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Phin wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

It should be Pennington replacing Henning at that point, and Henne back as the starter...

And I'm not even kidding.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:09 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

It should be Pennington replacing Henning at that point, and Henne back as the starter...

And I'm not even kidding.

I like it!!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Me too!!!!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
Omar Kelly's tweet [says] this move being made to see if Henning is the guy

That has got to be the dumbest reason for benching a guy I've heard of.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Read the entire tweet, not just the snippet. What Omar said was that the staff wanted to see if the problem is Henne or Henning. This is the only way right now as it's a he'll of a lot easier to replace the QB midseason than it is to replace the OC.

This is troubleshooting 101.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Read the entire tweet, not just the snippet. What Omar said was that the staff wanted to see if the problem is Henne or Henning. This is the only way right now as it's a he'll of a lot easier to replace the QB midseason than it is to replace the OC.

This is troubleshooting 101.

Well Penny is a pretty conservative QB. I don't know if he is the best guy to put into a vanilla offense so see if it's the offense or the qb. I guess what I'm saying is that I envision that Penny can run THIS offense better than Henne can, but that doesn't mean that the offense is good. Know what I'm saying? I just think Henning's style is more suited for Pennington than it is for someone with Henne's skillset.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re:
Phin wrote:
I just think Henning's style is more suited for Pennington than it is for someone with Henne's skillset.

That's what a few of us have said and why you're seeing the change.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Re:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:
I just think Henning's style is more suited for Pennington than it is for someone with Henne's skillset.

I understand that, but it still halts Henne's development, not to mention crippling his confidence. If Chad Pennington had been the starter since the beginning of the season, then I could have understood that better. Henne got his start because Chad got hurt. But they knew last year that Henning was a bonehead; and if they didn't realize that, that is their bad (because its been pretty obvious).

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

I understand that, but it still halts Henne's development, not to mention crippling his confidence. If Chad Pennington had been the starter since the beginning of the season, then I could have understood that better. Henne got his start because Chad got hurt. But they knew last year that Henning was a bonehead; and if they didn't realize that, that is their bad (because its been pretty obvious).

Cripples his confidence? Is this fact or injection? If this is enough to cripple his ability to be successful in the future, then that doesn't say much good about Chad Henne the QB.

As far as hurting his development, why is it he can only develop this year? How was he gonna develop under Henning when Henning and the personnel aren't set up to make him successful?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phin wrote:
not to mention crippling his confidence

Not sure if I'd go that far. They both acknowledge that its not Henne's fault. So I don't think Henne will loose confidence in himself, but he'll most likely loose confidence in the staff.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Cripples his confidence? Is this fact or injection? If this is enough to cripple his ability to be successful in the future, then that doesn't say much good about Chad Henne the QB.

As far as hurting his development, why is it he can only develop this year? How was he gonna develop under Henning when Henning and the personnel aren't set up to make him successful?

Interjection, but isn't all of our opinions?

Perhaps 'cripple' is a strong term. A better word might be 'undermines'. Does that work for ya?

As for experience, that comes in game. I know Henning's offense sucks, but at least starting gives Henne the opportunity to be on the field; bad system or not. Again, my fear is that Sparano gets fired, someone new comes in and replaces Henne without a fair shake. Just sayin...

If this little experiement (and this is assuming that this is an experiment to determine whether its the player or the OC) works out and Henning is fired and Henne is reinstalled as starter before the end of the season or at the beginning of next season, I will eat crow gladly. Seriously, I will put it in my sig that I was wrong. I have no problems with being wrong, matter of fact I often am. However, I see this as backfiring on Sparano. I guess we now wait and see.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Terrible coaching move. I had been supportive of Sparano to this point, but this is a bad decision. He can go with Henning, but lets keep Nolan.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:59 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Just to let you know, im a big chad henne fan. I think Sparano should have let him play a couple more games before making this decision. That said, i cant believe all of you fans bashing chad pennington on some of these threads. This guy took our team from 1-15 to 11-5. Yeah he may have a weak arm and dinks and dives but if thats what wins games why complain? Im not saying this is the right decision or that pennington is gonna come out and be great this season. All im saying is atleast give him the respect he deserves. I hope he does great this sunday, and Henne can take a back seat and learn how to be a leader from the guy out there starting.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

His style fits a dominant ground game. Miami doesn't have one.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Yet. They've been erratic with it. Still stands that he's the kind of QB they can audible with and they trust the offense with.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yet. They've been erratic with it. Still stands that he's the kind of QB they can audible with and they trust the offense with.

Yet? Not sure two veteran running backs need more time to develop. And even if they did use them more, and effectively, wouldn't that allow for Henne's game to open up?

This is a desperate move just to shake things up. What's the next step, drafting a noodle arm QB with a great Wonderlic score? Is that what is needed to make this offense successful?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Yet? Not sure two veteran running backs need more time to develop. And even if they did use them more, and effectively, wouldn't that allow for Henne's game to open up?

This is a desperate move just to shake things up. What's the next step, drafting a noodle arm QB with a great Wonderlic score? Is that what is needed to make this offense successful?

Yes "yet" .... we've seen during various times of the season what the run game is capable of if committed to it (especially the runner) ..... Regardless of the run game, Henne still can't audible and play-action is a weakness. He's been left with forcing passes into tight coverages because nobody is open and their best player (Marshall) is double or tripled on nearly every play.

It's a move they made because the current QB and the current offensive philosphy/trust do not mesh right now. They're flat out telling you that, otherwise Henne would not be sat. Why would they sit somebody if they knew he could help them win right at this moment? Makes no logical sense. They don't think that.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've seen Henne make some good play action throws and connect on some deep play action passes.

Why not give him the chance to audible? How do you know he can't do it if he hasn't tried?

So the message is we are going to change our entire formula now and not allow the guy who we've been inconsistent for benefit from the change? Its like asking Henne to hit a target on one attempt but giving Pennington 5 attempts.

Its not logic, its panic and the thinking is that change for change's sake is going to alleviate the deeper issues with the team.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I've seen Henne make some good play action throws and connect on some deep play action passes.

Why not give him the chance to audible? How do you know he can't do it if he hasn't tried?

So they're not letting him audible because he can .... makes complete sense. If they're not letting him audible it means they're play it safe .... and if they're playing it safe it means they obviously don't trust the "cerebral" development part of his game just yet.

Quote:
So the message is we are going to change our entire formula now and not allow the guy who we've been inconsistent for benefit from the change? Its like asking Henne to hit a target on one attempt but giving Pennington 5 attempts.

We're not changing our formula. This has been the formula since SIP arrived and when Penny was starting. Players are not executing it very well and they're looking for more stability/execution from their QB at a time when the season is hanging by a thread.

Quote:
Its not logic, its panic and the thinking is that change for change's sake is going to alleviate the deeper issues with the team.

Change just to change? So basically you're making the assumption that they're morons who have no thought process to why they do what they do. When you have a capable back up who's proven he can efficiently run the offense and your season is on the line, it's not "moronic" to give it a shot .... especially when their faith in Henne for this season has dwindled the way it has. Otherwise he would be starting vs. the Titans.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, I think it is a little obvious what the problem has been all along. Not sure why the staff is so blind to it. Unless their trained football eyes see things I don't. Maybe Henne is slow on the reads and that's why our O don't get TDs.

Long and short of it, Penny is the man now so we gotta throw some love his way. I hope he gets comeback of the year 2010.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
So they're not letting him audible because he can .... makes complete sense. If they're not letting him audible it means they're play it safe .... and if they're playing it safe it means they obviously don't trust the "cerebral" development part of his game just yet.
Quote:

You accuse me of assuming but you assume to know that he isn't capable of audibling because they won't let him. Yeah because these guys have proven to never be wrong.

Quote:
We're not changing our formula. This has been the formula since SIP arrived and when Penny was starting. Players are not executing it very well and they're looking for more stability/execution from their QB at a time when the season is hanging by a thread.

Didn't you just say now they will run more and use more play action? And that isn't different from barely running and having Henne throw the ball 35+ times a game?

Change just to change? So basically you're making the assumption that they're morons who have no thought process to why they do what they do. When you have a capable back up who's proven he can efficiently run the offense and your season is on the line, it's not "moronic" to give it a shot .... especially when their faith in Henne for this season has dwindled the way it has. Otherwise he would be starting vs. the Titans.

I didn't call them morons, you assumed I am. I said they are making panic moves hoping that this change will spark something. And yes, people make changes hoping that change itself will create a spark.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I didn't call them morons, you assumed I am. I said they are making panic moves hoping that this change will spark something. And yes, people make changes hoping that change itself will create a spark.

Why though? What tangible/intangible qualities does Penny possess that Henne doesn't? Gotta acknowledge those specifics. You don't make a swap like this with someone you're not confident can put a spark into the offense. They clearly think Penny can.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Why though? What tangible/intangible qualities does Penny possess that Henne doesn't? Gotta acknowledge those specifics. You don't make a swap like this with someone you're not confident can put a spark into the offense. They clearly think Penny can.

I guess its impossible for someone to disagree with them and be correct.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:

There are a few guys on this board with that stance right now. A stance that it convenient for the moment I might add. Like I challenged Mak with already, lets see what excuse you have when they do something that you don't agree with.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

Under a scenario that has yet to play out or be cemented? IF you haven't noticed yet, we haven't seen the results yet.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

There are a few guys on this board with that stance right now. A stance that it convenient for the moment I might add. Like I challenged Mak with already, lets see what excuse you have when they do something that you don't agree with.

Convenient? You mine like how you blame everyone BUT Henne for this years performance so far? ......

What you deem "convenient" is us thinking logically about this move instead of flying off the handle.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

Convenient? You mine like how you blame everyone BUT Henne for this years performance so far? ......

What you deem "convenient" is us thinking logically about this move instead of flying off the handle.

Flying off the handle? Ok so if your not happy with the direction of the team or the competency of it's coaches, and express frustration over said issues, your now deemed 'flying off the handle'. Gotcha. I'll remember that and pull out at a convenient time for you. By the way, you were the one calling the season over when we were only 2-2. So don't tell people they are flying off the handle, or unraveling when you yourself have shown a knack for doing the same.

As for your accusation here, it only goes to show how narrow focused you get. You make a ridiculous accusation about what I have said, yet you apparently aren't able to comprehend anything I've said on these forums about Henne. Really this is getting laughable and a bit annoying at the same time. If your going to make ignorant accusations that have no basis, then please stop responding to my posts or I will have to put you on ignore. If you care to continue in an intelligent conversation, quit making ridiculous comments about what I do or don't say
I've repeatedly stated that Henne has lots of room to grow. I've never once said that he IS anything (stud or dud). I've stated that he is still in his evaluative state, and until we've had more time, I'm not going to say whether or not he has what it takes. Obviously he has made mistakes. He has lots of room to grow. Apparently you don't remember me stating that he locks onto receivers and doesn't see the whole field. Or just the other day stating that Henne threw a high pass to Marshall. Just because I criticize the receivers on this team from time to time for not helping out their qb, or the inept play calling of our OC, doesn't mean that I don't think Henne needs to improve his game. I got into a discussion with Rich just a couple months ago (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2300) where he thought I was a Henne basher. So just because I don't jive with how you feel on a particular topic, doesn't mean I'm polar opposite of you, or an extremist. Quit being so quick to defend your position and actually take the time to see where the other guy is coming from. This is an internet discussion forum; they don't hand out prizes for whoever 'wins' the argument.

Below are quotes of myself where I have criticized Henne's game.
Phin wrote:
Henne doesn't seem to have much confidence in his arm. He has the strength and accuracy to put that ball on the money but too often he misses his man or underthrows the ball. That pass to Marshall today when he had two defenders beat by a mile really proves my point. Sure Marshall dropped a pass he should have caught, but he never should have had to slow up for that ball. Henne HAS TO hit his man in stride when he has opportunities like that. We saw it in the preseason when he missed a wide open Hartline, and we saw it here again today when he missed a wide open Marshall. Making that connection was a sure touchdown and would have given our players and this team some much needed confidence, and it might have put the dagger in the Jills hearts early on.
If Henne is going to be the man, he needs to start making those plays now. I do give him credit though for a beautiful pass to Fasano early on in the game. That was a great read and pass.

Quote:
Henne was horrid tonight, but that doesn't mean we have to give up on him. The guy has only had 16 starts, however he needs to have a fire lit under his butt right now because he is sucking up the field. I don't like the way he locks onto receivers and I don't like the way he only sees part of the field.

Quote:
Henne was a part of the problem tonight, him and special teams. Oh yeah, lets not forget our team giving up extra yards to crappy players (see Whitehead). I'm not about to abandon Henne, but he isn't getting a free pass tonight, he flat out sucked.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:
you were the one calling the season over when we were only 2-2. So don't tell people they are flying off the handle

Terrific call. :yay:

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Ski_Money wrote:
Long and short of it, Penny is the man now so we gotta throw some love his way. I hope he gets comeback of the year 2010.

Talk about someone with a lot of pressure. I like Pennington and have a lot of respect for him, and I will be hoping that he succeeds. It won't change how I feel about the direction that Sparano is going in. I understand that they are seeing him missing open receivers when they go over the film. I think right now the NFL is moving quickly before Henne's eyes, but the light will come on for him.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Like I challenged Mak with already

With what? We all have opinions on the situation. Like I said in another post, I asked the question a few weeks ago is Henne the QB. I hope it's the OC or offense and not Henne. If Henne isn't the guy, we are three years back. Here's a fact...the guy have thrown 9 picks in the last 6 games, we are .500 right now, and we have the 2nd lowest scoring offense in the league. Hopefully a fire is lit in Henne. I really don't think there is a right or wrong, and to be honest, who cares? This is a forum to have fun on and debate on.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Next year, whole new ball game. If Sparano/Ireland want fan support, then they'll opt to can Henning. Regardless of what we do this year he's got to go.

Your assuming Ireland/Sparano still have jobs come Feb.... Some sources are reporting a do or die season and the move is in desperation to save their jobs...

Just for the record, I have nothing against Pennington, and would have been fine with this if he started the season as QB...

I have an issue with them benching Henne.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Your assuming Ireland/Sparano still have jobs come Feb.... Some sources are reporting a do or die season and the move is in desperation to save their jobs...

Just for the record, I have nothing against Pennington, and would have been fine with this if he started the season as QB...

I have an issue with them benching Henne.

What is the issue though if now you're hearing reports that the regime's entire existence is on the line after this season if they don't turn this ship around? The offense isn't executing. Henne and Henning clearly are not sympatico. I mean the guy won't even let him audible. So they insert the guy they trust. If it means we finish the season strong, the regime gets to stay, they fire Henning later on and then get somebody in who can utilize Henne - then why wouldn't you be for that? It's not like Pennington is our future.

If Henne is a strong-willed individual, this benching will not affect his future growth. If he wilts under this, then he's not the guy anyways.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:47 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Not sure of the QB's benched in their first or second season that came back with that team and excelled.

Judging from Penningtons comments, they put the blame on Henne.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
What is the issue though if now you're hearing reports that the regime's entire existence is on the line after this season if they don't turn this ship around? The offense isn't executing. Henne and Henning clearly are not sympatico. I mean the guy won't even let him audible. So they insert the guy they trust. If it means we finish the season strong, the regime gets to stay, they fire Henning later on and then get somebody in who can utilize Henne - then why wouldn't you be for that? It's not like Pennington is our future.

If Henne is a strong-willed individual, this benching will not affect his future growth. If he wilts under this, then he's not the guy anyways.

Yes, but now you're assuming they let go of Henning. What's going to force them to do that if we turn the ship around and end up making the playoffs?

"Hey great job Dan, now get out!"... I don't think so. If we turn the ship around there's a good chance Henning stays, and then what for Henne?

They should have seen that his style of play didn't fit Hennings style of offense, don't these guys collaborate on these picks? If it comes down to picking the aging and often outdated Offensive Coordinator or the young and possible stud at QB... I think we HAVE TO go with the QB.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:

Yes, but now you're assuming they let go of Henning. What's going to force them to do that if we turn the ship around and end up making the playoffs?

"Hey great job Dan, now get out!"... I don't think so. If we turn the ship around there's a good chance Henning stays, and then what for Henne?

They should have seen that his style of play didn't fit Hennings style of offense, don't these guys collaborate on these picks? If it comes down to picking the aging and often outdated Offensive Coordinator or the young and possible stud at QB... I think we HAVE TO go with the QB.

Because Pennington is not the future. They drafted Henne to see if he was. Judging by Sparano's comments and people like Ross, they believe in him for the longer term. Henning is old and has been scrutinized incessantly. He's running out of time. But the Dolphins can't replace the entire offensive staff midseason.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rmelendez wrote:
Phin wrote:
not to mention crippling his confidence

Not sure if I'd go that far. They both acknowledge that its not Henne's fault. So I don't think Henne will loose confidence in himself, but he'll most likely loose confidence in the staff.

You make an excellent point, what will Henne's attitude be towards the staff now that this decision has been made. According to him he thinks he is still capable of being a starter, he knows that he can play at a high level, and he thinks he can lead this team to a championship. While he is unwilling to come out and say that the playcalling hasn't been to his strengths, you could tell by his body language that he isn't too happy with what has happened.
Even Chad Pennington made it a point in his interview to point out that Henne has thrown for almost 2,000 yards and we're only half way through the season. Pennington said he knows what it feels like to be benched and it not be your fault. He also said that it wasn't Henne's fault that many of our drives ended in fieldgoals. He said that as an offense they needed to clean up the missed blocks, dropped passes, and falling down on routes if we want to improve.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next