View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Henne's benching raises bigger Dolphins questions 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Henne's benching raises bigger Dolphins questions
Quote:
If their quarterback failed, will this regime survive?
Dave Hyde

Here's my only problem with benching Chad Henne: It's makes everything pointless now. Well, maybe not everything. Maybe some good comes out of this in the short term.

Maybe Chad Pennington provides the missing throws to this season, his stronger personality rallies this offense and the Dolphins can cling to a wild-card playoff spot like a life raft.

And, yes, life raft is the apt analogy for everyone involved now.

Without a young quarterback to build on, a team goes nowhere in the NFL and coaches follow their players to the unemployment line. And, yep, the Dolphins decided they're back to nowhere on Tuesday.

Benching Henne was understandable given his underwhelming play in leading the league's second-lowest-scoring offense this year. It also was a desperate move at a desperate intersection by an unfortunately desperate regime.

Because, again, everything's pointless in the big picture now. There is no big picture anymore. No long-term blueprint. Not for the regime of Sparano and general manager Jeff Ireland. Not after this decision.

Let's talk like grown-ups: The quarterback of the future got fired on merit Tuesday. And the future got fired with him.

When you have eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions, when you scare your coaches every time you throw, when you regularly miss throws like Anthony Fasano wide open in last Sunday's end zone, how can anyone rally to your defense?

"I know I can play in this league at a high level, and I know I can take a team to the championship,'' Henne said.

There are examples of quarterbacks reassembling their careers after benchings. Tennessee's Vince Young, on the other sideline this week, is one. Vinny Testaverde. Trent Dilfer. Phil Simms was benched before his Super Bowl run, too.

But the longer, more realistic list is the one of those who have failed here of late and never rebounded: A.J. Feeley, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Trent Green, John Beck …

Add Henne to the list. Add question marks to the future of Ireland and Sparano, too, even as you put in a good word for them about strong leadership. They made a hard decision here. They tried to save a season.

Let's not forget Bill Parcells in this, too. His reputation doesn't escape unscathed. Because if Henne fails to make it, then the Parcells Era was sunk by its first decision.

One prediction: If you have Brandon Marshall in your Fantasy League, play him. Pennington will throw it up for him. Marshall, no matter what's been said, loves Pennington. In fact, everyone in the locker room does.

But a whole lot of people have been fired from the Dolphins. Cornerback Jason Allen was the latest player to go Tuesday. Special teams coach John Bonamego was earlier this year. The defensive staff was last year. At some point, the people doing the firing come under fire.

We're at that point now. Maybe moving to Pennington works out in the short term for them. But in the long term, the only thing for certain is it's time to start rating quarterbacks in the draft again.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 736.column

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:32 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Henne's benching raises bigger Dolphins questions
Quote:
Without a young quarterback to build on, a team goes nowhere in the NFL and coaches follow their players to the unemployment line. And, yep, the Dolphins decided they're back to nowhere on Tuesday.

scary thought , hope it does not play out that way.

Quote:
"I know I can play in this league at a high level, and I know I can take a team to the championship,'' Henne said.

probably will .... with Buffalo.

Quote:
Let's not forget Bill Parcells in this, too. His reputation doesn't escape unscathed. Because if Henne fails to make it, then the Parcells Era was sunk by its first decision.

In Tuna we dont trust?

Quote:
Add Henne to the list. Add question marks to the future of Ireland and Sparano, too, even as you put in a good word for them about strong leadership. They made a hard decision here. They tried to save a season.

Is anybody really prepared to once again bring in a new regime & start over? yes we will love them all at first & proclaim in April that we have the best staff in the league but then reality will set in again & we are back at square 1.

Quote:
But the longer, more realistic list is the one of those who have failed here of late and never rebounded: A.J. Feeley, Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon, Trent Green, John Beck …

So many saviors , where have you gone Jay Fiedler?

Quote:
We're at that point now. Maybe moving to Pennington works out in the short term for them. But in the long term, the only thing for certain is it's time to start rating quarterbacks in the draft again.

Thinking short term certainly puts the writing on the wall I guess.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Its a good write up and analysis.

For me, at this point in time I have to remain slightly skeptical for the next couple weeks..

I can see this a few different ways, and for the most part have agreed with the majority of the media outlets down here. This is a desperate move by a coaching stafff who seems to feel if they dont win now, they may be on the chopping block. What goes on behind the scenes? Nobody knows... Has Ross stated his desire to make a change if this team finishes at .500 or below? We dont know.

Another thing I heard that makes sense is that this staff may happen to be making a decision based on the feelings of the O Coord, and if his feelings arent right (meaning we keep loosing with Penny) then we have found the problem with our struggling offense....

The bottom line is that this write makes the most sense in the fact that this moves is a statement of this regime that they failed in selecting a QB their first draft, and botched another in the following draft, not realizing either of thos moves they neglected to select a QB this past off season, and now they are against the wall.

For me, unless this season ends with a 10-5 Miami Dolphins, we will be watching the final coaching of Sparano. Sad, cause I really like the guy.

On the other hand, maybe Sparano & Ireland are setting themselves up for the next city/team on the Parcells bus and are going to leave with a bigger FU than Saban

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Benching Henne was understandable given his underwhelming play in leading the league's second-lowest-scoring offense this year

Ouch.

"I know I can play in this league at a high level, and I know I can take a team to the championship,'' Henne said

How long will it take? Our pass protection is pretty good.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I refuse to believe that this is it for Henne.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Henne shouldn't be lumped in with other failures. He's had a season and a half to play.

All early round potential franchise guys that have failed this past decade...Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Alex Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller...they've all had ample opportunity and couldn't come through.

If its Henne's leadership and the players have requested Pennington then that is a different story. Once that happens its over. But that is not the story coming out.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Marshall has gone on record to say its the philosophy and defended Henne
Pennington said "I have been benched before when it wasnt entirely mys fault"

I think this team disagrees with this move...

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

The team? So far only Marshall has gone on record.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Well he did say "I think"....

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I am so tired of the BS coming out of this regime. All the coach speak, all the hidden games, all blame is on the players is entirely irritating.

I have never once heard Henning, Sparano or anybody say it's my fault I didn't prepare this team properly. In the end, it's the coaches responsibility to make sure his team is prepared. How does everyone grade that aspect? And if their own self grade is above and beyond then my next question is why are we 4-4? Then, Why is Henne not where he needs to be in his progression as the QB of the future? Then, What is it that we work on in practice to develop his Football IQ? His reads? His audible ability?

The regimes answer is Henne doesn't get it. Obviously, because he's being benched. But playcalling, special teams, defensive lapses, blown coverages, mistackling, dropped balls, and all at critical junctures in the game cannot be blamed on Henne. It is a testament as to how this team is prepared every week. Throwing INT's is Henne's fault but I can count 3 that shouldn't have been(Hartline fell, Marshall stops his route, and Marshall doesn't go for it). Yes, Henne is accountable because he is the most visible but, the underlying truth in this situation is........Henne QB of the future or scapegoat for the coaches?

IMHO he's being set up as the scapegoat

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finfan: Go to MiamiDolphins.com and go under the video section and look under Sparano as you can watch all of his post game conferences and I believe he has taken ownership by saying that the coaches including himself need to do a better job and he does accept blame.

Look, I dont know if I agree with benching Henne now, but I will say that he scares me week in and week out with his inconsistent play. I mean when he drops back to throw and I am always scared he will throw a pick.

To me as a sideline fan, Henne has not shown me that he is a franchise QB, however, with a career record of 11-10, I could argue he still needs more time, but apparently the regime has chosen to try and win NOW.

Personally, I think Henne is still in the picture for the future, but this regime is grasping to salvage this current season. Playing the devils advocate, I can understand why Sparano is now going with Pennington.

This team wants to win now and they have decided that Pennington gives them the best chance. Time will tell if they were correct.

Right now, I hope that Henne sits and stays stewed over this decision, so when he comes back that he learns how to hit thos critical passes like the one he missed Fasano on in the endzone. NFL does stand for Not for long, if you dont produce in this league.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

It's really sad to think that we'll have to start all over again if Henne is not the answer... I mean with this solid cast we could make a championship with a an average QB... so if we continue to build the defense up and keep Pennington for another year I can see a championship run (ala Baltimore w/ Dilfer)... but really that's a stretch.

Starting to feel the pain of a Lions fan at this point.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
I refuse to believe that this is it for Henne.

I agree, Henne is still our quarterback for the future. I think Pennington was supposed to be the starter much longer than he was but the coaches saw improvement in Henne. That improvement made them pull the trigger and keep him as the starter for this season. While Henne has improved, he hasn't improved as much as our coaches would like. They aren't willing to go through more growing pains when they know they have Pennington sitting on the bench and he is capable of taking us to the playoffs. I think Pennington will play the rest of the season if we are doing well, if not, Henne will start the second we are eliminated from the playoffs. Next year, well it all depends on how this season ends. I could easily see Pennington being our starter next year if he does well at the end of this season. Henne will just have to continue to develop and be ready to play if his number is called. He's only 25, he's got a ton of time.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It would be nice if Brees called up Henne to discuss how he felt when he went through this and what the coaches said to him.

If I'm Henne I lose trust in my coaches unless they come up to me in a week or two and say get out there and get it done. If they felt they needed to test him like with a benching at this point then maybe it gives him some mental maturity.

What does Sparano say to Henne after this? Sorry I was wrong and should have trusted you? Its pretty obvious they think more of their system than Henne. Would have been nice if they stuck to the system they preached and allowed a good Oline and backs to do the damage while the young QB developed.

Just for comparison purposes

Matt Ryan targets - Roddy White, Michael Jenkins, Harry Douglas, Brian Finneran, Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez

Joe Flacco targets - Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason, TJ Houshmenzadah, Donte Stallworth, Todd Heap and Ray Rice

Chad Henne targets - Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Roberto Wallace, Anthony Fasano and Ronnie Brown

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:25 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Well he did say "I think"....

Yes, at this point what do any of us "know"...

I am assuming basing my assumption from Pennington saying the "not entirely my fault" comment, which leads me to believe he doesn't think this team is loosing because of Henne.

Marshall questioned the coaching philosophy and defended Henne...

I dont know which other players would have that open of an opinion on the subject.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

So when Pennington lays an egg Sunday, throws 4 picks, fumbles and is knocked out of the game, can we fire Henning???

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne deserves plenty of blame, but I wish Henning would finally get his comeuppance as well.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Henne deserves plenty of blame, but I wish Henning would finally get his comeuppance as well.

He will. This is his last season as OC. I have no doubts about that.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
It would be nice if Brees called up Henne to discuss how he felt when he went through this and what the coaches said to him.

Brees is a great counter example to just about everything...except maybe the Madden curse. He hasn't done too well this season.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]