View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:20 pm



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 9163
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Tim Graham wrote:
Whether offensive coordinator Dan Henning refuses to stretch the field, the coaching staff doesn't have the faith in Henne to let him try or Henne has the opportunities and doesn't pull the trigger, the Dolphins have gone deep less than any other team.

An inability to score is one of the reasons the Dolphins demoted Henne on Wednesday and returned Pennington to the helm.

ESPN Stats & Information notes that 31 quarterbacks have attempted more throws that have traveled longer than 20 yards in the air than Henne has. He has completed four of 14 attempts of that distance. A dozen quarterbacks have thrown at least 30 such attempts.

A breakdown of Henne's attempts by distance shows how much the Dolphins have remained a dink-and-dunk passing team with Henne.


Image

If that's the way the Dolphins insist upon operating, and defenses know it, then reinserting Pennington's leadership and decision-making could make a positive difference. The Dolphins are 4-4 and see their season getting away from them. Pennington could provide a spark.

For perspective, let's take a look at how other AFC East clubs have chosen to attack downfield.

Image

The New York Jets aren't afraid to let Mark Sanchez throw bombs, and they have benefited greatly. Not only are the Jets scoring touchdowns, but those types of plays also create more space for running backs and underneath routes by loosening up defensive formations.

Even the winless Buffalo Bills go deep more often than the Dolphins. Ryan Fitzpatrick, a career backup, has 33 attempts of 21 yards or farther -- in just six games.

Based on this data, we can see the Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm by taking him off the field.

But that's because it never was flexed in the first place.


http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... chad-henne

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2561
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
A good analysis there. It proves that Henning sucks, or Henne really sucks worse than we know and fails to pull the trigger when he has been given the opportunity. The pass protection has been pretty good as of late, so no excuses there. The running game might be the source of the problem though. It stinks...and that makes play action passes stink...and those are often the ones that you take deep shots with.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
We didn't take deep shots with Penny either. Seems the offense never adjusted to Henne. Henne had to adjust to Henning.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Seeing Henne in person.. cast more doubt on him from my perspective. I watched him take to long to pull the trigger. Not see guys who are wide open deep. And miss the easy throw to Fasano.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
So who are we drafting as our QB next year ????


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2561
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011QB.php

Andrew Luck**, QB, Stanford
Height: 6-4. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2011): Top 3 Pick.
10/1/10: Stanford has dominated early part in the year, and with Luck's team winning consistently he will have a better public perception as an NFL Draft prospect than Jake Locker. Luck has completed 64 percent of his passes for a 9.6 YPA and thrown 10 touchdowns with zero interceptions. Luck has also shows very good mobility being able to scramble outside the pocket. I love Luck's mechanics, decision making, and football IQ. If Locker's team hovers around .500, then Luck will have more generated hype and there will be less concerns that he can win in the NFL.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011QB.php

Andrew Luck**, QB, Stanford
Height: 6-4. Weight: 235.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2011): Top 3 Pick.
10/1/10: Stanford has dominated early part in the year, and with Luck's team winning consistently he will have a better public perception as an NFL Draft prospect than Jake Locker. Luck has completed 64 percent of his passes for a 9.6 YPA and thrown 10 touchdowns with zero interceptions. Luck has also shows very good mobility being able to scramble outside the pocket. I love Luck's mechanics, decision making, and football IQ. If Locker's team hovers around .500, then Luck will have more generated hype and there will be less concerns that he can win in the NFL.


Luck has a very slow release, erratic accuracy, only OK arm strength, has benefited from one of the very best rush offenses in the country, and rarely shows up to play against big time opponents.

Pass.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2561
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Any other QB suggestions then.....

I think we will also be looking for an elusive running back with burst.....and a cornerback/safety....and an outside linebacker (or two) and some interior offensive line....and a TE....and .......good God...

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:45 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Yea... we're screwed lol. Need one of those 6th rd or undrafted miracles. Like Brady.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Any other QB suggestions then.....

I think we will also be looking for an elusive running back with burst.....and a cornerback/safety....and an outside linebacker (or two) and some interior offensive line....and a TE....and .......good God...


Nope. Not a good QB class. Jake Locker is overrated, Ryan Mallet is the next Jeff George, and there is absolutely nobody outside those guys.

I thought Christian Ponder would become a stud, but he just disappoints time and time again.

RB and TE are definitely two positions to target, although there aren't ANY TE's in the 2011 class that fit what we need. Kyle Rudolph is OK, but doesn't have a high ceiling, IMO, and is just a slightly better/bigger version of Fasano.

I don't think we'll look at OLB in the draft. At least not early on. We need experience, not more youth and development there. I also can't see us taking interior O-line very high. But that's also a job for FA, IMO.

We're fine at CB if Will Allen comes back and/or Nolan Carrol develops into a good nickel guy. Safety could be an issue, but I think we're fine there. Clemons is developing nicely. He's not making plays, but he doesn't get beat deep and is on top of a lot of plays. I like how he's progressing.

I think RB and TE are your first two picks, and then you go with some depth guys at other positions. I honestly think the talent is all there defensively. They are just missing 2 things: experience, and a nickel CB. Offensively (assuming for a second that we get an OC who can actually utilize Henne's abilities), we're just missing an athletic TE, and a threat out of the backfield on third down (Ray Rice or Kevin Faulk type of a guy).


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Brett Favre is a FA after this season guys. What ya say? Does he displace Pennington again???

Henne will be back before the season is over.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2561
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
How about Shane Vereen out of Cal for RB? Filled in nicely for Jahvid Best last year and is doind well this year. He can catch and has good speed. Derrick Locke out of Kentucky is interesting too....great speed and he catches the ball well. He is projected for round 4 or later, so might be a steal....I would prefer going with a more highly rated prospect though.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
How about Shane Vereen out of Cal for RB? Filled in nicely for Jahvid Best last year and is doind well this year. He can catch and has good speed. Derrick Locke out of Kentucky is interesting too....great speed and he catches the ball well. He is projected for round 4 or later, so might be a steal....I would prefer going with a more highly rated prospect though.


I LOVE Shane Vereen....He's my man crush of the year.

Catches the ball well out of the backfield, patient yet decisive....quick, great vision, great speed and burst...

When the guy plants his foot in the ground and goes...WOOOO!

But yeah, anyway, I've mentioned him in a couple of posts. He's who I want in April. Screw Mark Ingram...give me Vereen.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2561
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Vereen will get a good test this week....Cal plays #1 Oregon. Maybe it will be on the tube here?

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Vereen will get a good test this week....Cal plays #1 Oregon. Maybe it will be on the tube here?


It's on Versus.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:06 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
Dan Henning refuses to change his approach. Any good coach will tell you, you need to change your system to fit your players, not the other way around. We keep trying to make Chad Henne a game manager, but he's a gun slinger. We need to open things up and start calling plays that play to our team's strenght. Of course now Henning is happy because Pennington is back in there as our starter. Dink and Dunk 2.0 here we come. I hope Pennington succeeds, but our run game isn't even on the same planet as it was in 2008. Pennington might struggle to put up points if we can't run the football, maybe even more than Henne did.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1168
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
wkloiber13 wrote:
Dan Henning refuses to change his approach. Any good coach will tell you, you need to change your system to fit your players, not the other way around. We keep trying to make Chad Henne a game manager, but he's a gun slinger. We need to open things up and start calling plays that play to our team's strenght. Of course now Henning is happy because Pennington is back in there as our starter. Dink and Dunk 2.0 here we come. I hope Pennington succeeds, but our run game isn't even on the same planet as it was in 2008. Pennington might struggle to put up points if we can't run the football, maybe even more than Henne did.


For the good of our future, I hope Pennington SUCKS and we lose BAD this week. Then they can fire Henning and Sparano. Henne can do the job, these clowns haven't given him the chance.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
dolphinjim wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Dan Henning refuses to change his approach. Any good coach will tell you, you need to change your system to fit your players, not the other way around. We keep trying to make Chad Henne a game manager, but he's a gun slinger. We need to open things up and start calling plays that play to our team's strenght. Of course now Henning is happy because Pennington is back in there as our starter. Dink and Dunk 2.0 here we come. I hope Pennington succeeds, but our run game isn't even on the same planet as it was in 2008. Pennington might struggle to put up points if we can't run the football, maybe even more than Henne did.


For the good of our future, I hope Pennington SUCKS and we lose BAD this week. Then they can fire Henning and Sparano. Henne can do the job, these clowns haven't given him the chance.


This is a tricky situation we're in. You never want to see your team lose and be out of the playoffs, especially with a possible lockout happening. The best result our team could have after this season is if Henning is the only one to go. I believe Sparano is a good coach, I think he is just stuck in a bad situation with a terrible offensive coordinator. What I would rather see is our offense continue to do exactly what it has done all season long, which is play uninspired and not put up a whole lot of points. What I would like to see is us win the next three games, but not score a lot of points. I want to see the defense win the next two or three games for us. We need to win games 12-9, 13-10, etc. If the Dolphins win, and the offense continues to struggle, then it proves that Henne wasn't the problem. So the best thing that could happen for the Miami Dolphins in my opinion is if we start to win a lot of games, but play terribly on offense and expose our lousy offensive coordinator. After the season is over, Henning is replaced and our team really starts to shine.
:jests:


Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1168
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
wkloiber13 wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Dan Henning refuses to change his approach. Any good coach will tell you, you need to change your system to fit your players, not the other way around. We keep trying to make Chad Henne a game manager, but he's a gun slinger. We need to open things up and start calling plays that play to our team's strenght. Of course now Henning is happy because Pennington is back in there as our starter. Dink and Dunk 2.0 here we come. I hope Pennington succeeds, but our run game isn't even on the same planet as it was in 2008. Pennington might struggle to put up points if we can't run the football, maybe even more than Henne did.


For the good of our future, I hope Pennington SUCKS and we lose BAD this week. Then they can fire Henning and Sparano. Henne can do the job, these clowns haven't given him the chance.


This is a tricky situation we're in. You never want to see your team lose and be out of the playoffs, especially with a possible lockout happening. The best result our team could have after this season is if Henning is the only one to go. I believe Sparano is a good coach, I think he is just stuck in a bad situation with a terrible offensive coordinator. What I would rather see is our offense continue to do exactly what it has done all season long, which is play uninspired and not put up a whole lot of points. What I would like to see is us win the next three games, but not score a lot of points. I want to see the defense win the next two or three games for us. We need to win games 12-9, 13-10, etc. If the Dolphins win, and the offense continues to struggle, then it proves that Henne wasn't the problem. So the best thing that could happen for the Miami Dolphins in my opinion is if we start to win a lot of games, but play terribly on offense and expose our lousy offensive coordinator. After the season is over, Henning is replaced and our team really starts to shine.
:jests:


But why should he be stuck with a bad OC??? He is the head coach, he can fire him.


Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Post Re: Dolphins won't miss Henne's big arm
I wont be surprised if we Hire Wade Phillips, and sign Favre as our QB !!! :)


Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 00xtremeninja and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.