View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Miami makes mistake 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Miami makes mistake
Miami makes mistake
Posted on: November 10, 2010 1:47 pm
Edited on: November 11, 2010 10:48 amScore: 184
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:The Miami Dolphins are making a big mistake.

There is no way Chad Pennington should take over for Chad Henne. But coach Tony Sparano is making the move, a decision he revealed Wednesday.

Henne might be -- and I say might because we're not sure yet based on his play -- the quarterback of the future.

Pennington's best football is behind him. So the Dolphins are essentially giving up on a kid who might be their long-term answer for a lollipop-arm passer who certainly isn't the answer.

Has Henne played that poorly?

Or is he a victim of a bad offense?

I know offensive coordinator Dan Henning is looked at in positive light by many in the media, but I think his offense is outdated and stale.

Henne has been a victim of that staleness.

The Wildcat died -- as we predicted -- but even that hasn't helped open up the Miami offense. Neither did getting receiver Brandon Marshall.

Henne is completing 63.5-percent of his passes. That's better than Matt Ryan, Brett Favre, Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers.

His touchdown-to-interception ratio isn't good with eight touchdown passes to 10 interceptions, but I think a lot of that has to do with the creativity of the offense.

Don't blame Henne. Blame Henning.

It doesn't matter who plays quarterback in that offense. It's way too predictable and that will hurt any quarterback, especially one with a big arm like Henne that was essentially wasted.

Get ready, Miami fans. You might want to get a stopwatch to see how long those Pennington passes stay in the air.

Helium balloons have nothing on Pennington passes.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 25767478/2

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Miami makes mistake
Its a done deal...
Show me a list of QB's that were benched within the first 2 seasons to come back to that team and play great...

There is only one I am aware of...

Henne's time in Miami is over, he will succeed on another team...
This move was as dumb as it gets....

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Henne's time in Miami is over, he will succeed on another team...
This move was as dumb as it gets....

I get the feeling he will still be the guy and this regime's time is over. If he does go to another team, he will be the one guy I root for outside of the Fins.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:37 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
I get the feeling he will still be the guy and this regime's time is over.

I am calling for it too. I really, really, really like to see Gruden and Nolan in this together for the next three years. I don't want a college guy. I think we need Gruden.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:32 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I said at the beginning of the season that Brandon Marshall's signing was sending a message to Henne that there will be no excuses. I'll go on record as saying that I think Henne's benching is a message to Henning. No more excuses. Produce or be sent packing.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree, Henning's playcalling has been terrible. He refuses to open things up because he doesn't have the same confidence in Henne that he does with Pennington. Now his boy is back, his system quarterback is back, so no more excuses. If the stale offensive play continues, Henning has to go!

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I agree, Henning's playcalling has been terrible. He refuses to open things up because he doesn't have the same confidence in Henne that he does with Pennington. Now his boy is back, his system quarterback is back, so no more excuses. If the stale offensive play continues, Henning has to go!
One would think if this is true, then Miami would have been running the ball all over the place. However, they are not.

Miami has been throwing like they have Peyton Manning under center. I don't get it.

Quote:
the coordinator who dialed up 38 passing plays against 5 runs immediately after Ronnie Brown exposed the Ravens for 45 yards and a TD on our first drive

If Miami throws 38 times with Pennington then Miami is done.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
One would think if this is true, then Miami would have been running the ball all over the place. However, they are not.

Miami has been throwing like they have Peyton Manning under center. I don't get it.

The built the team to be run first. They invested huge money in Long, Carey, Smiley and Grove. They invested draft picks in Murphy, Thomas and Jerry. They grabbed possession receivers with their draft picks and traded for a guy who is elite in his ability to produce yards after the catch.

Then they decide to throw the ball 35+ times per game, often with empty backfields on first and second down, into a tight field because no receivers are really stretching it. Neither running back has had a 20 carry game or been allowed to try. They cut their big time interior guys because they weren't as tough as the discount guys.

I'm with you, they are playing without any identity and seem to be making it up as they go.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]